The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » This is the Place - Cameron Francis (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
This is the Place - Cameron Francis
$13.00
https://bigblindmedia.com/products/this-......85604657

The Hype:
Learn a killer self working card magic principle and FOUR routines to bust it out in!

The ooooooold force/control that 'This Is The Place' is based on requires no skill and is certainly effective BUT to the observant spectator it’s dangerously transparent. Cameron has created a subtlety that adds next-level deception to this concept. In fact Cameron takes this age old self working card principle and turbo charges it - giving you a weapon that can be used for all kinds of card tricks!

This fresh variation of an ancient procedure will breathe new life into countless tricks… and most likely fool a lot of magicians as well!

While you can perform a classic CAAN effect with this concept, Cameron demonstrates several other possibilities, including a coincidence effect, a four of a kind production, and a prediction effect. This procedure can be done in person or can even be used for virtual performances.

Use any deck. No gaffs or gimmicks involved. Oh, and did we mention that all of the effects taught are self working? Well, they are!

Featured in this download:

Learn The Concept
Destination Routine
Coincidence Routine
Ace Production Routine
Open Prediction Routine

My Take:
Four routines are demonstrated and explained in this nine file download. Cameron has taken a procedure which we all learned way back when, added a small step to it and has made it much more deceptive. The video title shots show how much improved their video production team has gotten.

The first thing you notice is the lack of the usual suspects as volunteers from BBM. It is obvious to me that Cameron is working with his daughter who is very cute and acts just like you would expect an inexperienced kid to act. It is obvious that she is really getting a kick out of helping dad film this project. I assume that due to Covid restrictions, it is much easier and safer to use a model who is right in your own house. Although she will not be nominated for an Oscar for her over acting, she adds a pleasant quality which is missing from most magic videos.

I have been a fan of Cameron's for many years. I have been using the Annihilation Deck forever and even came up with a variation I showed Cameron at a convention long ago. I think he is a very creative card worker and greatly admire his skills and the majority of his releases.

You are taught routines here which, in my opinion, are both deceptive and easy but I don't feel that this is really his best work. I will probably trot out his Ace Production occasionally for a party. Obviously, these effects are math based but I really feel that if you want to do a math based trick, the kudos would go to his fellow BBM artist, John Bannon.

The tricks are foolers but for my money there are just no blockbusters here. Still you may have fun with them as they are easy and really require no sleights. However the most entertaining part for me was watching just how tickled his daughter gets at trying to be a good audience member.. Cameron, please take her out and buy her an ice cream cone. She has earned it.

So I don't feel that this measures up to his previous works and for that reason would have to stay neutral on this one.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
From the full demo I didn't get the impression at all that the girl was over acting. It looked to me like she was genuinely suprised.

For a self working trick I think this looks pretty straight forward to the spectator.

I've used much more procedural spectator cuts to the aces and gotten good reactions. (deal three here and then one onto each of the remaining piles...)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I think having the spectator do the Ose False Cut would add a lot to this. That way she cuts the deck then counts to her number and gets the aces.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
114 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
You usually cannot go wrong with a Cameron Francis release and I have several of his releases including Super Mega Card Miracles, Give Em the Business, Triple and Cagey
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » This is the Place - Cameron Francis (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL