The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for separating cards in an invisible deck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swood527
View Profile
New user
Boston
11 Posts

Profile of swood527
Hi all. I don't do a lot of card effects but I have one effect that uses the invisible deck. The deck I have is fairly new, and I'm finding it is impossible to get the cards to slide. Aside from just continuous use, is there any way to make the cards easier to separate?
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Dribble a whole bunch of times than rub the pairs together.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
It's very strange that many people have had issue with spreading/separating standard Bicycle ID's, which I presume is what OP has. I just received another Bicycle ID yesterday, from Penguin, Murphy's Magic branding, with the slip featuring Daryl. So, the ID most people get (and from the dealer many people buy from).

I have no issue with spreading the cards or separating the selection. It handles very naturally; you can spread the cards much like how you would if it was a normal deck without the pairs separating. And to separate the pairs, it just takes a very light touch. It's very consistent.

I'm aware that other people could be getting decks that are over-sprayed, as might be the case with OP. But I wonder if, in most cases, the deck's aren't over-sprayed and it's just a handling issue.

So, I wouldn't want people thinking their decks are over-sprayed, then they go through the effort of knocking off the excess over-spray, but in doing so they actually shorten the life of their ID and inevitably develop even worse handling. My 2c
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just make my own IDs. They handle so much better than most decks that magic shops carry. I still remember being asked by the owner of a magic shop to demo an ID. I had to tell him his decks were unusable. LOL
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Light touch as Will Lane mentioned. I very lightly pull the tip of my left middle finger across the face of the lower card (almost like a cull) as the left thumb barely touches the card above it. Riffling the the short ends to air the deck out might help, but practice is probably your best option at this point.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The real issue is dry hands. When I was younger I had no trouble with the invisible deck. As I grew older I found I have to put something on my fingers to give them some friction. (This generally means licking them)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2021, MeetMagicMike wrote:
The real issue is dry hands. When I was younger I had no trouble with the invisible deck. As I grew older I found I have to put something on my fingers to give them some friction. (This generally means licking them)

I agree! I find there are lots of actions that ought to be simple, but are not, because I can't get a good grip of the cards.

My advice to the OP is to try Science Friction. It handles very differently from R&S.
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
Dry hands made it impossible for me to use an ID.So I made my own with roughing stick across the middle of the cards. Then it just depends on whether I push on the lower third of the card or the middle third.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
I agree that the issue is dry hands. The problem is that roughed cards require a certain degree of friction while NOT applying much pressure. What provides this friction is an almost imperceptible bit of moisture emanating from your fingertips. That’s the reason it seems so easy for some and almost impossible for others. You constantly hear that it just takes a “light touch” but when your hands are as dry as the Sahara desert a light touch does nothing and simply slides along the card without moving it, so you are then forced to apply more pressure which only causes the cards to bond more tightly together.

SF does work better for those with dry hands along with only treating the center third of the card.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
A little Sortkwik on the fingers will help, it is cheap and you can get it at any Office Supply store.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If too much roughing has been applied, it can be partially removed using a terry cloth washcloth. It may take a great deal of time to get the right amount removed.

Another thing I learned is to never rough Bicycle Prestige cards. The surface is too unpredictable for roughing. In the past, I had good results roughing Mavericks. To fine-tune the deck, I apply bar soap to the smooth sides. There are some YouTube videos on soaping cards.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I had problems with separating the cards for a while. I was told to buy some Chamberlain Golden Touch Lotion. Problem solved. For me, it was not the cards, it was dry hands.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
I have the same problem, dry hands. Am 67 and find I have to carry a small bottle of Golden Touch since moisturizers, of all kinds lose their effectiveness after a short time. Bane of getting older and living in a fairly dry climate during winter. Will have to try and make a deck with Science Friction and see how that fares. This not only applies to the ID but other effects using RF as a medium whether full deck or packet tricks.
Madman13
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Madman13
I think it's more about the touch and being relaxed while spreading them apart.I am fortunate not to have dry hands as I live in a humid place.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
You could also just use the Card Shark ID deck made with Science Friction, I just got it, but so far it seems better than the ones made with roughing spray.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
Make your own invisible deck. I tried most of what is available on the market, decks from magic shops, roughing fluid, roughing stick, science friction... The best, easiest, and most importantly cheapest method I've found is to buy large waxed based pencils, and use the white one to rough the backs of one half of the deck. Takes a bit of time, but lasts forever basically.

As for how to separate the cards, it has a lot to do with a light touch, managing friction and pressure. Each roughing solution will be different, you'll have to experiment a bit. As others said, dry hands could be an issue.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2023, danfreed wrote:
You could also just use the Card Shark ID deck made with Science Friction, I just got it, but so far it seems better than the ones made with roughing spray.

I have had 2 of these since they came out and have yet to need to open the second one (my back up).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2021, MeetMagicMike wrote:

+1

For those of us with this issue, a light touch - normally the right method - only compounds the separation problem.

Papercreme
Sort Kwik
O'Keefe's Working Hands
Glycerin & Rose Water

Just a few of the many products that can help. I loved Zim's Crack Creme liquid that came in a pump spray bottle, but it is no longer made.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Tips for separating cards in an invisible deck (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL