The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello all (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I was bitten by the magic bug at the tender age of ten, when my father brought home a set of Chinese Sticks. This quickly resulted in my next two magical purchases: a Svengali Deck and an S.S. Adams’ Color Vision.

Shortly afterward, I discovered the pleasures of Al Flosso’s Martinka-Hornmann Magic Shop, where I routinely spent most of my weekly allowance for several years. Al wisely insisted that I buy a book every time I bought some tricks. These eventually included a complete Tarbell Course, Hugard’s “Modern Magic Manual,” and Bruce Elliot’s “Classic Secrets of Magic,” among others. Those books grew into a wonderful reference library, and one that I appreciate more and more with the passing of time.

Armed with my trusty Die Box, Chick Pan, Hippity-Hop Rabbits and a set of Multiplying Golf Balls, I began performing at children’s birthday parties when I was twelve. Kids are a great audience, because they still have that sense of wonder and are able to suspend their belief and play along with you. On the other hand, kids can be a much tougher audience than adults – if they’re bored, they don’t hesitate to let you know!

After college, I put down the magic wand and acquired a law degree. Twenty-five years later, I picked the wand up again, this time in pursuit of coin magic. I always admired the folks who perform with unprepared objects, and Al Flosso’s Miser’s Dream was a real inspiration for me.

I’m now teaching a Magic Class for kids at our local public library. We begin with a finger palm and the copper/silver coin; then we work on paddle tricks, a Dime & Penny Set, the Cups & Balls, a thumb palm, and finish with the Miser’s Dream.

I’m also performing for kids again, doing shows for the third graders at the public school where my wife teaches. I pulled a few quarters from some kids’ ears and elbows, then did a copper/silver transposition, followed by Coin to Handkerchief (straight from Volume 1 of Tarbell). The grand finale was Hank Off Wand, also vintage Tarbell. The kids were duly amazed and had a great time. Who says vaudeville is dead? Heck, it’s not even sick!! Best of all, the next day there was a run on magic books in the school library -- just as I had hoped. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
That darn magic bug. Just when you get over the symptoms it bites you and your infected again. Welcome to the Café.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Seth,
Welcome to the Café. You have a nice story indeed, really liked it.The Café is such a unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has nearly 13.500 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello all (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL