The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins Of Ishtar (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I don't think I've ever put something in this area, but I posted something in Secret Sessions that belongs here, too.

Here's what I posted there:

Many, many decades ago when I was into close-up. I had a booklet called Coins of Ishtar and there's was a similar routine in one of the Close Up Calvalcade books. In both you had a double faced coin or a double faced washer.

Basically, you showed 3 English pennies and 3 half Dollars. Each set of 3 had a double facer in it. Using those gimmicks you could do a one at a time transposition from set to set so that what was 3 pennies in your left hand were now half dollars... and vice versa.

There were two cool subtleties within the routine. Here's what I added: I wanted them to know that they always knew where the coins were. I didn't want them thinking I was switching stuff. I found this small kind of 3D stickers of little flags. In the hand I had the 3 half dollars I would have them stick 3 stickers on the back of my fist. Now I would tell them to move one sticker to the other hand and that would cause the transposition. This would continue until all 3 stickers now were stuck to the other hand. Just a visual subtlety I used.

Now I had an ending that some guys didn't like because they felt I was exposing something. I kept saying it was the same as having an effect where you end up with a double facer as a climax. To regular folk it just looks like a weird card you magically made.

Anyway, at the time I also had a set of strange coins that I believe were called Alchemy coins. It had coins plated in gold plus an English penny plated in silver and a half dollar plated in copper.

At the end of the transposition I would say I could do other weird things with the coins. I would pick up a half and copper and hold them back to back. Now I reached in my pocket and pulled out a lighter. I put the flame to both coins and said if I squeezed something strange would happen... I squeezed and dropped the coins into their hands. It was now one coin which was a penny on one side and a half on the other. I know, I know, but wait for it.

I then said it was illegal to keep them that way. I pulled the lighter out again, heated the coin then grabbed it and it looked like I spit them in to two coins again as I dropped them on the table. But when we looked down I realized I had split the in the wrong direction and the half was now copper and the penny was now silver.

i really liked that routine and over the years lost those two special coins. Does anyone have a way of getting them?

Oh, and if you like the routine then have at it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
You can buy these coins separately pretty easily, just do a search for "copper plated half" or "silver plated penny". They're on Ebay,
Royal Magic sells them (but I think not direct to consumers), and I've personally ordered these before: https://midwestmagic.net/shop/item.aspx?itemid=14819 (the penny is listed under "related items").
You can also sometimes find it for sale either on ebay or in the FS forum. It also went under a few other names, Coin Alchemy, Alchemists Phantasy, Alchemist's Dream, and I think Sasco marketed it as "Foreign Exchange". (Old thread here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=0)

As far as the routine goes, a couple of thoughts off the cuff:
1) I like the idea of using stickers. It reminds me of some other folks who use another (usually smaller) coin to indicate which coin is where, and sometimes have the spectators switch them to be involved in the magic. Kainoa's Inferential, and Eddie Gibson's Kangaroo coins come to mind. But those only have one coin of each, so less to keep track of.

2) I'm also in the camp where I don't like exposing the C/S gimmick, especially not right after a routine where such a coin is instrumental in the execution of a routine. I feel like it hints at the method too strongly. That said, I do really like your idea of "restoring them", but wrong, as a sort of backfire/magician mistake. I feel like that could be a great effect all on its own, or perhaps after a different routine (not using the C/S) to give some time misdirection.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks. I never had a problem with spectators thinking it was something I used in the routine. Especially since Coins of Ishtar has a great display which shows both sides of all the coins. It's actually a genius move. I remember when people held the C/S coin they looked at it like some alien object. It was so bizarre that they just marveled at it.

But to each their own.

Greg
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
That's fair. I don't have the booklet, and I couldn't find any videos of the routine online, so I'm not actually too familiar with it or the displays it uses. I'm mostly going off of how I'd feel after other routines that might be similar...ish.

But again, I'm a big fan of using it as a transition to other impossible objects.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Here is a ltd. hardbound volume that is OOP and singed and numbered.

https://airshipmagic.com/store/en/home/3......ver.html
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I have 2 copies of his book and bought a set of the coins from Jamie Schoolcraft.
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
IIRC Coins of Ishtar is a book of routines with CS coins. I like your concept and the wrong split ending sounds terrific!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2021, martonikus wrote:
IIRC Coins of Ishtar is a book of routines with CS coins. I like your concept and the wrong split ending sounds terrific!

I've now talked to several guys about it. I'm starting the get the itch to get those special coins again and doing the routine.

Greg
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
They like it!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I have a question about the softbound boook. Mine is a first edition, numbered 492, and appears to be signed by Jules DeBarros (signed Best Wishes Jules DeBarros "The Baron" in black marker. Does anyone know if the signature is real, or is it a stamped page (I can't tell). Thanks in advance for looking.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
My own softcover copy is also numbered 492 (“of a limited, special edition”).

Exactly the same phrasing as yours is used in its “autograph,” as well.

Seems I’ve heard of this before, too.

Must have been a lot of #492s that season….
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Ha! That is too funny. Maybe they ALL are 492...that means the signature is unlikely to be real. Oh well...
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
I just looked at my Coins of Ishtar book and mine is ALSO number 492 of a limited edition! I have this extra one up for sale if anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
I, too, have a copy numbered 492
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I wonder who has the first 491 copies?

(Ha.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2024, karnak wrote:
I wonder who has the first 491 copies?

(Ha.)

Or how many of each of the 491 other copies there are!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Mine is also # 492
Perhaps it is an inside joke of some kind.

That is funny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins Of Ishtar (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL