The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How convincing is the Optical Shuffle, and how worthwhile is it to learn? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I have mixed feelings about the Optical Shuffle, and am wondering whether it's worth putting in the effort and practice to learn it better.

If you're not sure what I'm talking out, here's Benjamin Earl's version. The Optical Shuffle is taught taught in classic resources like Royal Road to Card Magic[/url] and also in Giobbi's [i]Card College 2.

Personally I wonder if its unorthodox look can draw attention to it. Doesn't the unusual motion make it look a bit fishy? In contrast, something simpler like the GW Hunter Shuffle seems more natural and arguably less obvious.

Or am I missing something here, and is it worth putting in the effort to master it? Does anyone here actively use it? Any reflections on its usefulness and how it compares with other full-deck false shuffles?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It can be very deceptive. Check out some prior Café threads on this.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Definitely learn it and some of the many variants. https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/se......+shuffle

And the underlying principle can be added to other techniques resulting in some very good looking shuffles.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, landmark wrote:
It can be very deceptive. Check out some prior Café threads on this.

I did a search prior to posting this thread. I had found this one, but it's more general, and not specifically about the optical shuffle.

Is there a particular thread you can recommend?
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Don't know the threads, but how about Kopf's Double Optical Shuffle in The Magic of Johnny Thompson?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I use the optical shuffle that John Carey teaches and it flies by people.
Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
I use Bens Version. Its great and not that hard to learn. You have to find your own rythm. I really recommend his book, less is more.

Regarding your question: I think that most people don't know how a classic overhand shuffle is done.
Compared to a riffle shuffle, the optical shuffle draws no attention. And even if you want your audience to burn your hands, there is nothing to see.
And compared to a lift shuffle, the optical shuffle is way more fluid, once you got it.
There are no broken rythms and its simple.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2022, EndersGame wrote:

Optical Overhand False Shuffle
Optical Shuffle
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2022, mantel wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2022, EndersGame wrote:

Optical Overhand False Shuffle
Optical Shuffle

Those threads are from 10-15 years ago, and there's not a huge amount of info and discussion there. But thank you for sharing those, and I have read through them.

I was hoping from some more current thoughts and reflections, and perhaps some more people will still chime in here on this topic.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Like many sleights, I think the deceptiveness has much to do with how well it's performed. Jared Kopf's optical shuffle can be found here:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......ction-1/

And it looks pretty deceptive to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How convincing is the Optical Shuffle, and how worthwhile is it to learn? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL