The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candles are no longer produced? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
I noticed that after Fantasio passed away his candles are not in stock anymore at the magic shops.. Any alternative with the same or good quality?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Unfortunately, I've not found any of the same quality. The currently manufactured ones tend to be thinner and show "striping" in some lighting conditions. Also, there trends to be a mismatch in color and gloss between the tip and body of the candle.

Many of us have taken to scouring the auction sites for Fantasio originals in good condition. For $30 you can still find the original vanishing and appearing candles. They are worth the money over the later ones.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Too bad that they are not as good as the originals. thank you very much
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
It does seem odd that Fantasio was able to manufacture canes and candles of that high quality for over 40 years , but now the quality of similar items is so much less than what Fantasio provided. Some things in magic progress, other things regress ...
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2022, David Todd wrote:
It does seem odd that Fantasio was able to manufacture canes and candles of that high quality for over 40 years , but now the quality of similar items is so much less than what Fantasio provided. Some things in magic progress, other things regress ...

The quality of the non Fantasio candles have gone up a bit over the years. When the first knock-offs came on the market they sold for half the price but were abysmal. They wouldn't even function most of the time. These newer ones at least function. They just don't look right because of thin material and bad color matching of parts. They also tend to be shorter which gives them too stocky of an appearance. They may work ok for stage where audience is far away but for platform and parlor they are not usable in my opinion

What I disagree with are the dealers listing them as "Fantasio style" candles and canes. This is a deceptive practice which fools younger magicians who have never handled the real deal. I saw a post on another forum of a young magician ranting about how bad Fantasio candles were and how he couldn't believe how many magicians swore by them in the past. Turns out he was decieved by dealer post on what he was getting. Paid $17 for a "Fantasio style" candle that didn't even use fluid but a trimmed birthday candle. The dealers should list the actual manufacturer and details so one knows what one is getting.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2022, FrankFindley wrote:

What I disagree with are the dealers listing them as "Fantasio style" candles and canes. This is a deceptive practice which fools younger magicians who have never handled the real deal. I saw a post on another forum of a young magician ranting about how bad Fantasio candles were and how he couldn't believe how many magicians swore by them in the past. Turns out he was deceived by dealer post on what he was getting. Paid $17 for a "Fantasio style" candle that didn't even use fluid but a trimmed birthday candle. The dealers should list the actual manufacturer and details so one knows what one is getting.

I guess that's like a sleazy car dealer listing a "Rolls-Royce style" automobile , but it turns out to be a lower-end Hyundai. Aside from ripping-off people like the young magician who doesn't know any better , it's a gross insult to the memory of Fantasio for them to use his name in connection with the cheapo stuff they are selling.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
But we really need these candles, it is an essential prop for many magicians. Someone in the industry has to produce a new version...
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Fantasio stopped making his canes and candles when copies began surfacing. He, like so many others who had their products copied without permission, got fed up and called it a day. That happened years before he passed away. Approximately 20 years ago actually.

If you want any of his genuine products at this point, you would need to find them used. That can be risky because, if they were not taken care of properly, the result would be a damaged piece. So, you never know just what you will receive not only concerning condition but authenticity. Just too risky IMO.

Fantasio did have a good run though! He manufactured and sold them for approximately 30 years or so.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Indeed!

In 1968 Fantasio won all four 1st place new effect awards; two IBM, SAM, and MDA. That was the year he ramped up production. Next month will mark 13 years from the last (and best) batch being manufactured (2009). So they were manufactured for 41 years!

If I remember correctly, at that time Murphy's acquired the remainders from that last run and earlier ones from Fantasio and distributed them through their network.

The last sizable dealer offering was FAB Magic's sale 8 years ago.

Since then, it has been onesies and twosies as dealers find new old stock hidden away in displays and storerooms. But this is almost completely gone now.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Just a bump for this post. Has anyone tried Viking Magic "Vanishing Candle Fantasio type" https://vikingmagic.com/products/vanishing-candle-white ?
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, Merodach wrote:
Just a bump for this post. Has anyone tried Viking Magic "Vanishing Candle Fantasio type" https://vikingmagic.com/products/vanishing-candle-white ?

I just bought a zombie from them and it was superb quality... my next buy was gonna be the vanishing candle... if no one answers with a review I'll just buy one and answer myself Smile
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2023, Merodach wrote:

Double bump... I just bought a zombie from them and it was superb quality... my next buy was gonna be the vanishing candle... if no one answers with a review I'll just buy one and answer myself Smile

I don't have Viking's Fantasio-type candle, but I will say that everything I have ever purchased from Viking is of excellent quality.
If George is calling his candles "Fantasio-type" candles then I expect the quality is up to the Fantasio standard.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candles are no longer produced? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL