The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Time Machine - book test by Matthew Benjamin (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Matthew Benjamin
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Matthew Benjamin
Thank you Michael! It was an absolute pleasure to do business with you.

I sincerely hope you and your sons enjoy the books.

As another bit of info for all... The Hound Of The Baskervilles will be available soon and another secret book is in the works, plus other products on my website.

Cheers,

MB
Matthew Benjamin
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Two more reviews to come soon from the three who received a review copy and hopefully some buyers will post reviews soon too.

Cheers
MB
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Just a quick review for now, I will post a longer one later.

The book itself is bullet proof. I spent a long time looking for the usual suspects and was unable to find them. A few times I went aha, and then I got further into the page and went, oh, it’s not that. The book itself is about as examinable as you are likely to get with a gaffed book. Magicians will struggle to find anything, laymen have no chance.

There are 3 main methods, effects in the book. The first one is very clever, the participant opens the book anywhere they want and you can tell what they are thinking with no peeks and without them saying a word. This uses a method that I hated in the effect it comes from because it didn’t make sense in that routine. Here on the other hand the process makes sense and is far more deceptive.

The next effect is the more traditional open to any page and think of a word. Again this is not quite done in the traditional way and as a result the method is far more concealed. Instead there is a bit of clever word play involved alongside the usual method.

The final effect is the reveal of a selected picture. This works well but is my least favourite part simply because there are not a huge amount of pictures in the book. This is more down to the fact that the pictures need to fit in with what you would expect to find in this particular book. Of course you don’t tell the participant there are X number of pictures in the book so I suspect that when I have performed this effect a few times it will grow on me. It certainly gives the book test a little more than simply “Think of a word and I will tell you that word”.

One thing some may see as a downside is that you really need a crib. Sure you could memorise everything but it is a lot of work. I don’t necessarily think this is a negative, I am a big fan of cribs as I have the memory of a goldfish in my rapidly advancing years.

I have a lot of book tests and if I had to allow a very close examination of the book for some reason for a hands off book test then this would be the test I would use.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
muffin
View Profile
Loyal user
London
294 Posts

Profile of muffin
How do I find the instructions - I can’t see anything on the book / packaging. Do they come via email?
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2022, Michael Daniels wrote:
This sounds similar in concept to my Facsimile Book Test.

Coincidentally, Facsimile also has The Time Machine and Hound of the Baskervilles - plus The Invisible Man (H.G. Wells), Frankenstein (Mary Shelley), The Sign of Four (Conan Doyle), and The 39 Steps (John Buchan).

https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......els.html

My version of The Time Machine is now also available from Vanishing Inc and all Murphys dealers.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......csimile/

Michael, am I reading that ad correctly, all three boks for £39.99????

Mike
Use the FORCE Luke.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On May 1, 2022, Papa Legba wrote:

Michael, am I reading that ad correctly, all three boks for £39.99????

Sadly no - my Facsimile book test is £39.99 for one book. Saturn Magic offer substantial discounts, however, if you buy multiple volumes from the series.

Mike
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Thanks Michael, I know that was naive of me, looks superb btw.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Matthew Benjamin
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Just a quick update.

The third review from the first run of books should be due very soon.

Also, a new book test The Hound Of The Baskervilles is now available.

The Time Machine is pocket sized for walk around

The Lost World is hardback for stage use.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles is US Standard to have at home for those "suprise moments"

All utilise the exact same methods and the 2nd phase (the most likely to be performed phase) can be done with all three books at the same time.

Regards
Matthew
Derotanim
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of Derotanim
I think this looks fantastic, I've been thinking about picking this up for a while now - wondering how this compares to the currently-in-vogue Frankenstein test by Kaleb Wade? Not asking in terms of better / worse (I doubt that would even be possible), but rather what the advantages and drawbacks of each are
muffin
View Profile
Loyal user
London
294 Posts

Profile of muffin
I have the Alchemist book test by Kaleb Wade, which I think uses the same method(s) as the Frankenstein book test. I’ve just recently received The Time Machine book test, but have only read the instructions so far. Both are great and the books look real and like the originals.

The Time Machine is completely inspectable (if that matters to you), and phase one - chapter detection - feels like you almost do real mind reading. Phase 2 is more traditional, but clever thinking (and the effect most will use). Both phases require a crib unless you have a great memory or put the extra effort in. You can be completely hands off with the book. Overall the methods feel fresh to me compared to other book tests.

Kaleb’s book test (based on the Alchemist) are a little less inspectable (if this matters to you). Some of the phases require you to be hands on. Little to no memory work required and no crib required. This feels like other book tests I own, but has been implemented better, and the book looks real. Some good thinking and adapted / updated methods are in play.

I personally will be using the Time Machine book test, as I want to leave the book hanging around for casual performances. Benjamin has other book tests out, or coming out, which use identical methods. I believe his Lost World book test is designed for stage.
Matthew Benjamin
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

I haven't seen those book tests I'm afraid.

All my books use the same methods and the second phase can be used with all three books.

In my opinion they are the most examinable and cleanest book tests available.

I am currently doing a bundle offer on all three books for only £125 which is a saving of £40!

I can guarantee you will fall in love with the book tests.

Regards
Matthew
Derotanim
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of Derotanim
Quote:
On May 8, 2022, muffin wrote:
I have the Alchemist book test by Kaleb Wade, which I think uses the same method(s) as the Frankenstein book test. I’ve just recently received The Time Machine book test, but have only read the instructions so far. Both are great and the books look real and like the originals.

The Time Machine is completely inspectable (if that matters to you), and phase one - chapter detection - feels like you almost do real mind reading. Phase 2 is more traditional, but clever thinking (and the effect most will use). Both phases require a crib unless you have a great memory or put the extra effort in. You can be completely hands off with the book. Overall the methods feel fresh to me compared to other book tests.

Kaleb’s book test (based on the Alchemist) are a little less inspectable (if this matters to you). Some of the phases require you to be hands on. Little to no memory work required and no crib required. This feels like other book tests I own, but has been implemented better, and the book looks real. Some good thinking and adapted / updated methods are in play.

I personally will be using the Time Machine book test, as I want to leave the book hanging around for casual performances. Benjamin has other book tests out, or coming out, which use identical methods. I believe his Lost World book test is designed for stage.

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to get
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Does anyone have a copy of the Hound of Baskervilles instructions? I purchased this book (and the 2 others) two months ago and Matthew never sent it to me and now seems to have disappeared!

Thank you, I can prove I purchased it from Matthew if needed.
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
Seems like a very weird way to order some thing having to go to a separate purchase page fill out some things so forth and so on, doesn’t make sense usually it’s just add to cart check out. Lickety-split Apple Pay would be great or just simple check out.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of the Hound of Baskervilles instructions? I purchased this book (and the 2 others) two months ago and Matthew never sent it to me and now seems to have disappeared!

Thank you, I can prove I purchased it from Matthew if needed.

Asking again as I have had no reply from Matthew (his site, email nor here on PM)...

Thanks!
aceofillusions
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
25 Posts

Profile of aceofillusions
Hi There,

I'm looking for a Book Test with the same page number on every page. Does this offer that capability?

If not, I would love a recommendation to one that does.

Thanks,
Seattle Magician
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2023, aceofillusions wrote:
Hi There,

I'm looking for a Book Test with the same page number on every page. Does this offer that capability?

Thanks,

No,The Time Machine has a different page number on each page.

You would need to be careful if looking for the same page number on each page as something could look amiss eg page 89 appearing at the start of the book when the page number should be low and similarly towards the end of the book when the page number should be much higher.

Neil
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
74 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
Quote:
Hi There,

Thanks,

You might want to check out 'the book test book' by Jim Kreefeld.

It explains the methods and details a great many book tests so one can quickly find what they need.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
After purchasing The Alchemist and finding it littered with annoying mistakes, I turned to The Ultimate Book Test and Facsimile - both of which include The Time Machine, but neither of which sadly look remotely like real books. I was starting to get very dispirited with the magic industry's inability to produce a book test with actual, y'know real-looking, books. Thank god I found this thread. Matthew's work is spot on, with incredible attention to detail. Finally someone who shows books the respect they deserve.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Quote:
Hi There,

Thanks,

I believe the Great For Two book test by Richard Webster had this function. Not sure if it's still available. Try eBay?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Time Machine - book test by Matthew Benjamin (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL