The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Brent Sherwood Engraved Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
How long have these cups been on the market?

Does anyone have an opinion of these vs. Riser or Porper cups?

What wand do people use with the Sherwood cups?
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
My friends who own these cups say that they are one of their most cherished (magic) possessions
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
The Sherwood Cups are fine crafted. I do not know if they are fairly compared to Riser or Porper cups. If I owned a set of Sherwood Cups, I would not be using them. If I spent that much on a set of cups, I would probably display them with a handcrafted wand. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I can't imagine there are better cups on the planet than these. However, I don't like the ads that say "endorsed by the Dai Vernon estate".

What does that have to do with the Professor? Yes, Dai's son was/is into magic, but this is a crock to use the Professor's name to sell the cups. The quality is so good, they would sell themselves.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sherwood's work is as good or better than anyone else. His cups are a unique and outstanding style. He now offers standard, non-engraved cups that are excellent.

As far as Riser and others, the top line cups are all excellent, the difference is style and collectability.

All the top of the line cups are worth their asking prices.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I own all three sets you mentioned and, in my opinion, the Porper Cups and Riser cups don't begin to compare to the Sherwood Cups.

The Sherwood cup is smaller than the Porper cup, but will hold a ball as big as the Porper cup's capacity. Jim Riser's cups are extremely well made, but, if you're asking for a comparison, again, in my opinion, the Sherwood cup is superior. I have all three engraved sets and do actually use the silver set. It's difficult to define, but they have a "feel" to them that is just good. Whether its the weight or the size or the shape, I don't know, but they just seem to be designed for magical performance.

The reason mention is made of the Vernon estate is that the cups are close to the same shape of the famous cups that Vernon used, and, of course, they are eengraved, as are his. Brett Sherwood did the right thing and got permission to "replicate" the famous cups and David Ben arranged the Vernon family's approval. It was an appropriate thing to do. When Ed Marlo passed away, I contacted Muriel (his widow,) for permission to produce a video of his that I, in fact, owned anyway. She may not have known that, so it was the right thing to do. She graciously consented and, typical of the magic industry, someone not so graciously pirated it.

In any case, in response to the subject of this thread, in my opinion, and it is one man's opinion only, Sherwood's cups are superior to the other two mentioned.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Runawayjag thanks for the info!! I agree, they should have gotten permission if they were using cups similar to Dai’s, but putting in the ad that they are endorsed by the Vernon Estate doesn’t sit well with me.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Just looking in today to find this thread (under Brent Sherwood - who's that anyway?)and hope I can clarify WHY I use the Dai Vernon name in my advertisements.
First of all my cups were inspired by the famous Dai Vernon cups and prior to marketing my engraved cups I wished to gain the acceptance of the Dai Vernon Estate out of professional courtesy and primarily out of my deep personal respect for 'The Professor'. My cups were designed as my own personal "dream cup", but I would have kept the original prototype to myself if The Dai Vernon Estate did not wish me to continue with an endorsement. I was very happy to receive 'The Estates' valuable acceptance to endorse my cups and I trust many of you are happy my cups are available as well? I truly respect the name of Dai Vernon and display his name with pride as a tribute to the great man and I am honored to be associated with his name. I know I cannot please everyone in my life, but I feel if I had not approached this project in a professional manner and instead simply put my silver engraved cups on the market without contacting 'The Dai Vernon Estate' there would have been hell to pay! Instead of one email I believe there would have been countless negative emails voicing contempt in my direction.

I have been granted the legal right to display Dai Vernon's photographs and use of his name by The Dai Vernon Estate. Out of respect and as a lasting tribute to Dai Vernon I proudly display his name, which in return establishes my cups as a item of quality and beauty and in return I hope my cups continue to conjure stories of 'The Professor'. And So It Goes...
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Brett, you make the finest cups in the world today and I thank you for them. You know who I am as I am corresponding with you on the forthcoming matching Chop Cup for my routine. Thanks, again. By the way, how's your brother, Brent? Maybe that was him in that HORRIBLE photo of me. What was I thinking?

Take care.
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
Brent,
Having recently purchased a set of silver/gold and copper cups from you, all I can say is WOW! It makes practicing all that much more enjoyable.
As for the Dai Vernon issue, I agree with you. Coming out with a superior set of cups similar to those used by the Professor, without some endorsement would have opened up much more criticism.

Again, thank you for making a classic a masterpiece!
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
Jim Riser has this to say about the Sherwood cups at http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/SelectingCups.html

With respect to the aesthetics:
    "I have saved the best for last. Good cups do not just instantly appear. Brett has spent over three years getting his beautiful cups designed, made, and finally to the market. These new cups are without a doubt the most beautiful cups to ever have been made available to magicians. No cups have ever compared to these."

With respect to design and function:
    "Make no mistake about it, these cups are the finest cups ever seen - both in cup design and workmanship."

I own several sets myself, get them while you can.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 00:53, MagicChris wrote:
I can't imagine there are better cups on the planet than these. However, I don't like the ads that say "endorsed by the Dai Vernon estate".

What does that have to do with the Professor? Yes, Dai's son was/is into magic, but this is a crock to use the Professor's name to sell the cups. The quality is so good, they would sell themselves.

I wrote a different post before I saw Brett's response to this one. So I am editing mine.

First of all, as Brett states, these cups are a tribute to the Professor. I own a set of silver, a set of gold and a set of smooth copper. Each engraved set came with a certificate of authenticity with a photo of the professor, and a signature of one of the members of the Vernon estate.

Certainly, he could have issued these cups without going through all of this trouble. But he would have been crucified in the magic press and on the internet. Instead, I think he has done the right thing.

I saw the Professor do his routine live on several occasions. I also have held his cups in my hot, grubby forepaws. Every time I pick up a set of my Sherwoods, I think of those occasions, if only for a fleeting moment.

It is no coincidence that the people who own the original Vernon cups also have sets of Sherwoods!

Regarding the wand to use with them -- I had Jim Riser make me an ebony wand with silver rings. This wand has wood at the tips and is less likely to damage the cups.

If you want to view many sets of cups, you can go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Brett Sherwood
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Brett Sherwood
Quote:
On 2004-07-23 19:40, runawayjag wrote:
Brett, you make the finest cups in the world today and I thank you for them. You know who I am as I am corresponding with you on the forthcoming matching Chop Cup for my routine. Thanks, again. By the way, how's your brother, Brent? Maybe that was him in that HORRIBLE photo of me. What was I thinking?

Hi Runawayjag (there is a story in that name somewhere)?,
Sorry for the delay in responding, but today I am in (or "ON" the isle of) Santorini, Greece - so I am once again on the move...
Regarding the photo, I think we both look better then, than we do now, but I suppose somethings, like wine, improove with age...? I'll get some copies of phots to you soon. The combo's, manipulation balls, large load balls and WAND will be available before the end of the year, so if any you were thinking of treating yourselves to Holiday "goodies" now is the time to start planning! Many thanks for all the support!!! All deeply appreciated.

Take care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Brent Sherwood Engraved Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL