The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with sourcing Tayade Linking Ring Set (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
After quite a bit of help from this community I've settled on the Tayade 10" linking ring set, that is no longer produced, but was imported to the US for a while. Any tips on how I can track a set down? This was a 10 ring set with an oversize ring and a locking key.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Contacting those that deal in used magic from stores to folks such as Kenna Thompson and fillers out on collector groups on Facebook.

What is it about these rings that have you sold?
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Thanks for that tip.
The set includes an oversize (Hilliard) ring, that is the main attraction. Apparently the locking ring is also well made.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is what Karrell Fox used for his three ring routine. I would also write Joe Stevens and Hocus Pocus. They might also be able to find the RNT set with the oversized ring.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Chris:

Got it...!

Richard:

I have a 2 sets of the 10 inch Rings N Things rings,1 set has a Rings N Things oversized ring. I also have a Locking ring,dont know if it is Klamms or Rings in Things. The plating is good but not as good as the other rings, that is why I think it along with a key ring is Klamms rings.

They howver do match the Rings N Things.

Does the Rings N Things Locker and Klamm locker designed the same way? Would you need to see a picture?

Don
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Thank you to all who have helped on this, including via email. Thanks to the Café I have a set on its way to me. What a great community Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wasn't Tayade, a magic company in India, I would think someone in the U.K, would have an easier time finding the company and-or rings, then in the U.S.

I remember seeing their ads in the magic magazines back in the early 1970's.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
I've never seen a set for sale in the UK. I understand Marc de Souza imported them to the US for a while. I think there has been much more interest in the Linking Rings in the US over the past 20 years. Certainly an advert and Facebook posts for sets in the UK with an oversize ring (though I didn't ask about Tayade) yielded nothing. Plenty of Brits read the Café, again no response.
The company has been taken over by Tayade's son and has downplayed magic, he was kind enough to to respond to my email, they no longer market the sets. My next step was to explore the Indian secondhand market, but fortunately my quest has been successful in the US!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
What makes the Tayade set different/ special?
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Quote:
On May 7, 2022, RiffRaff wrote:

The set of 11 rings includes an oversize and undersize ring (plus a decent locking ring) Now Owen are out of business the over and undersize seem tricky to obtain. They are also relatively affordable compared with alternatives. I've never seen or handled them yet.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for the response Chris.

We read a lot about about the British not being able to locate magic in England.

I never been to England, but I would think, the first place to seek help would be The Magic Circle Society. I am getting the feeling they are not very friendly. Not a good attitude to get new members to join.

I use to order a lot of magic from Ken Brooke's Magic Place in London. And noted that England has-had more magic Shops/Stores then in the U.S.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Bill: I've always found the Magic Circle to be friendly. Its Facebook group can get a bit inflamed, though that has been much better now Covid is easing.
There are plenty of good dealers in the UK, but as the market has become global/online then the big/general dealers, selling a range of uK manufactured general props, have disappeared. There are some small superb examples, such as Propdog, but emphasis is on close-up, mentalism or parlour.
I've been struck on trips to the US how general stage prop magic, is alive and well.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On May 7, 2022, ChrisPayne wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2022, RiffRaff wrote:

The set of 11 rings includes an oversize and undersize ring (plus a decent locking ring) Now Owen are out of business the over and undersize seem tricky to obtain. They are also relatively affordable compared with alternatives. I've never seen or handled them yet.

Thanks! Let us know what you think after you've received them.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
In response to Riff Raff's request.....

I received the full 11 Tayade Rings yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised how good they are. Nicely chromed, 10", well finished joints and a satisfying, pure ring tone. They are slimmer gauge than my hollow Ammar/TCC set. The locking key is extremely good, easy to operate and cosmetically superb.
I understand that the chrome can chip.

Thanks again for everybody's input, I bought these from an individual responding to my Magic Café post.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Thanks for the update, Chris
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Update: The eleven ring set I purchased years ago are all Rings N things rings.That would be the standard 8 set,plus the additional locking key ring,oversized ring,and extra key ring.

If a ring is chrome plated properly it will not flake or chip off at all.

Chris glad you like your rings go and mystify the world and enjoy them!
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Occasionally one might find 11 ring sets of Merv Taylor Orb Eternal linking rings from the 50s/60s. I'm aware of a couple sets, one made from 1/4 thick solid stainless and the other set made from 5/16 thick solid stainless. Both sets I know of have a triple, double, two singles, standard key, locking key, oversized, and undersized rings. I'm also pretty sure either set would probably be available for sale for the right price -- certainly several hundred dollars. Smile
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
I'm so pleased with my Tayade set I would like to buy another! Anybody got a 10" set they would like to sell? Ideally the full 11 rings but I am happy to take an incomplete set in good condition.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
My one year quest continues! Anybody got a 10" Tayde set, even if incomplete, that they would like to sell and make me very happy?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with sourcing Tayade Linking Ring Set (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL