The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ideal Meal by David Jonathan (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
DESCRIPTION
Ideal Meal is an engaging routine with beautifully designed props that is all about the fun and relatable topic of food! It's practical, easy to do, packs flat, instantly resets and audiences absolutely love it. This is the perfect effect for beginners and pros alike!

The Effect:
A collection of cards with different drinks, appetizers, entrees and desserts from a variety of restaurants are introduced. Your participant uses these as a menu of sorts to order a four course meal. Once their choices are made, all the cards are turned over to reveal prices on the backs, with each item having a different value. Their selections are summed and that total amount matches your prediction!

You will love how the ancient principle at play has been enhanced and camouflaged in a brand new way that hides and improves the workings, while also unlocking new features that elevate the routine.

• No gimmicks or gaffs
• Completely self-working and incredibly easy to perform
• Instantly resets
• Every item's price is different. As part of the routine, you can show other choices sum to another total
• Multiple handlings taught
• No table necessary, it can be performed entirely in the hands - perfect for strolling!
• Can be performed hands off
• Works great over Zoom in addition to real world performances
• Customize the prediction to your style (money, a gift card, billets, etc.)
• Custom printed cards on plastic PVC stock for durability (if they get dirty just wipe them clean!)

Available in three different currencies: Dollars, Euros & Pounds (please select the desired option when ordering). If your local currency is not listed, a logical alternate presentation is included which is suitable no matter where you live (just choose a currency from a region that you could have visited).

https://www.davidjonathanmagic.com/produ......8507afd1
eddie1
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
277 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Sounds good. Similar in premise to other tricks though so would like to see a video to see how it compares.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Hi, thanks so much for sharing. This has been a huge hit at my recent lectures and convention appearances and I'm excited to offer it to the community. It's genuinely become one of my favorite effects to perform!

The video is on the product page, but I embedded it below as well.

David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
eddie1
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
277 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Ah, it’s not very clear that it’s a video because there’s no play button! Just assumed it was an image like the rest. Thanks Smile

Edit - Nevermind, it’s just very small and I’m on mobile.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I really like the looks of this routine. I am confident it will fly by most as you can give them the freedom to change a drink, or an appetizer, a meal or the desert, if needed or ever challenged. Anyone using this one yet? David is a solid creator who has been busy the last few years releasing solid effects, but I do like this one also.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
FYI the Euro and Pound versions are also available at Alakazam, in addition to my website.

https://alakazam.co.uk/products/ideal-meal-by-david-jonathan
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
This is an amazing effect and easy to do... Great Thinking. David is a genius!!!!
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Does the spec have to choose one card from each restaurant or can they choose the same restaurant in more than one course, for example Giovannis for s drink and for dessert?
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On May 12, 2022, EvilClown wrote:
Does the spec have to choose one card from each restaurant or can they choose the same restaurant in more than one course, for example Giovannis for s drink and for dessert?

Looks like it must be one from each restaurant.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Correct, choosing options from different restaurants. This is the premise of the presentation and justified in the opening script of creating the ultimate fantasy meal that would never be practical in real life.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Maybe it’s I’m too picky an eater, but if the script is make a fantasy dinner, for me it would have required eating more than one course at one of the restaurants and it would have screamed the method to be told that I couldn’t. But maybe this flies by laymen.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I totally respect that. I'll just add that in addition to my own experiences, I've had magicians reaching out recently to say how great their reactions have been, so it hasn't been an issue for laymen. The cool part is though that even if they do ever guess the method, I teach how you can prove them wrong, which hits hard and that's not something many effects allow you the luxury to do.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
magicogreg
View Profile
New user
ITALY
10 Posts

Profile of magicogreg
This is an effect I had created a few years ago using only 6 cards:

https://www.funtasticshop.com/item_6113/......ico-Greg

The mentalist shows some cards depicting a typical 'fixed' restaurant menu consisting of five different dishes: a first course, a second course, a side dish, dessert and fruit.
Each restaurateur applies a different price to the same type of dish (for example, a side dish may be more expensive in a certain restaurant and cost less in another).

The performer will be able to predict the final bill that the spectator will pay, even before he chooses the individual dishes from the various restaurants and then adds up the relative prices.

The effect can be repeated, immediately after, obtaining a different total and with an ending that will leave the spectators completely disoriented and surprised!

The method (simple and ingenious) will allow you to determine, in an easy and immediate way, what will be the bill that your customer will pay, every time!

Material provided: six plastic cards depicting the menus of six restaurants, an additional card (which can be used as a slate to make predictions), a washable marker, an eraser and detailed instructions.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Magicogreg, I sent you a PM.

Also, here is a new review from MagicOrthodoxy:

David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of toberman
Quote:
On May 12, 2022, TuneHV wrote:
I totally respect that. I'll just add that in addition to my own experiences, I've had magicians reaching out recently to say how great their reactions have been, so it hasn't been an issue for laymen. The cool part is though that even if they do ever guess the method, I teach how you can prove them wrong, which hits hard and that's not something many effects allow you the luxury to do.

The reactions that I have been getting are excellent. I haven’t had to use David’s method to “prove them wrong” yet but it’s great to know just in case. This is an A+ effect.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
It's a pretty simple math matrix effect that has been applied to many other effects in the past (Vacations, geography, sporting, etc.) I like the thought process in the fact that these are food items and everybody loves food. Easy to do? Absolutely. You don't have practice with anything but your patter. Although I created my own version many years ago with a similar matrix, I love the thought and artwork involved here. My recommendation is to buy this, put it in a bifold wallet with cash on one side (Or a gift card with the secret amount written on the back) and the cards on the other side. In summary, although I do this with a different theme, David's cards give me a better presentation.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I saw Craig and Ryland Petty's review and then I saw Craig Petty's "Matt Test". It was super interesting. Matt said he didn't like it at all, and that it was completely obvious. However, I think the way Craig presented it, which was subtly different from the way Jonathan presented it made all the difference in the world. Craig made a BIG deal about the rule of not being able to pick two items from the same restaurant. Not sure why he did that, not good magic. Jonathan on the other hand, didn't make it seem like a rule at all, but more like part of the game. He just introduced it as an ideal meal from four different restaurants and then each time just asked them to pick the next item from a different restaurant. With the last choice, that was the first time he talked about them being left with just one choice and them being able to change their mind, which, IMO, is very GOOD magic because the way he presented it, it didn't feel like a restriction until the very end and at that point he offered for them to change their mind, and he didn't go into detail, because that would sound too "method like".

Also, Jonathan commented somewhere that you can show them different outcomes. Craig didn't do this, but I think it would be a good idea to make that part of the routine. Here are my thoughts on presentation:

"Have you ever participated in a restaurant sampler walk-around? They are so much fun! I did one in Chicago, and part of the entry fee was I got these cards as a game. The game involves multiple people picking different items from different restaurants, but I created a little mental magic bit. I have some money in this box and the backs of these cards have prices for the meal items. I am going to try to influence you to spend a specific amount of money. Let me show you how this works. You are going to pick one item from each of the restaurants. We'll go through a test run. Let's say you pick this drink, this appetizer, this entre, and this desert. Then your total would be $78. Now, that would be a nice meal. Keep that price in mind, because I have a feeling that you would spend a different amount of money. I don't want to say whether you would spend more or less, we'll see. Now let's get started. What drink would you like?" At the end, I would talk about how I had a feeling that... how shall I say... they are more of the frugal diner, and show $42.

With this approach, it is less about their personal favorites and more about trying to not be manipulated while picking items.

Note for Jonathan: It would be really cool if you produced a second or third set with different outcomes. hint hint.

Thanks for such an AMAZING product, I'm very excited to get it.

KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2022, 1KJ wrote:
I saw Craig and Ryland Petty's review and then I saw Craig Petty's "Matt Test". It was super interesting. Matt said he didn't like it at all, and that it was completely obvious. However, I think the way Craig presented it, which was subtly different from the way Jonathan presented it made all the difference in the world. Craig made a BIG deal about the rule of not being able to pick two items from the same restaurant. Not sure why he did that, not good magic. Jonathan on the other hand, didn't make it seem like a rule at all, but more like part of the game. He just introduced it as an ideal meal from four different restaurants and then each time just asked them to pick the next item from a different restaurant. With the last choice, that was the first time he talked about them being left with just one choice and them being able to change their mind, which, IMO, is very GOOD magic because the way he presented it, it didn't feel like a restriction until the very end and at that point he offered for them to change their mind, and he didn't go into detail, because that would sound too "method like".

Also, Jonathan commented somewhere that you can show them different outcomes. Craig didn't do this, but I think it would be a good idea to make that part of the routine. Here are my thoughts on presentation:

"Have you ever participated in a restaurant sampler walk-around? They are so much fun! I did one in Chicago, and part of the entry fee was I got these cards as a game. The game involves multiple people picking different items from different restaurants, but I created a little mental magic bit. I have some money in this box and the backs of these cards have prices for the meal items. I am going to try to influence you to spend a specific amount of money. Let me show you how this works. You are going to pick one item from each of the restaurants. We'll go through a test run. Let's say you pick this drink, this appetizer, this entre, and this desert. Then your total would be $78. Now, that would be a nice meal. Keep that price in mind, because I have a feeling that you would spend a different amount of money. I don't want to say whether you would spend more or less, we'll see. Now let's get started. What drink would you like?" At the end, I would talk about how I had a feeling that... how shall I say... they are more of the frugal diner, and show $42.

With this approach, it is less about their personal favorites and more about trying to not be manipulated while picking items.

Note for Jonathan: It would be really cool if you produced a second or third set with different outcomes. hint hint.

Thanks for such an AMAZING product, I'm very excited to get it.

KJ

Thanks for sharing your very insightful thoughts. You hit the nail on the head that the presentation is essential. I make it a fun game by saying we get to do something that would never be practical in real life (eating a 4 course meal from 4 different restaurants) - that premise and hook line justifies the restrictions in what I feel is a very natural way. Then during the selection procedure, I always emphasize the freedom of choices they have and never mention any restrictions aside from casually tossing in "from a different restaurant".

I also never show the prediction from the start as I feel that telegraphs the effect. You get the first surprise that there are prices on the backs, then shake the box and tip out a prediction (cash, a gift card, a billet, etc.) and only at that point do they realize where it's all headed. These may seem like subtle points, but it makes a world of difference in performance.

You also have that extra convincer to show things could have went differently had they made other options from all different restaurants if needed. With that said, I really like your idea of doing that convincer up front as a test run of how the game will go as it will be a completely different total when they make their selections. Its lovely way of getting that in while still ending with the climax of the prediction!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think in general, you are right that the prediction shouldn't be talked about until the end. I think an exception is when you are telling them that you are going to try to influence them to spend a specific mystery amount. Now the premise is about mind control, not random choices.

Both great premises.

Too bad you didn't perform the Matt test. I bet the reaction would have been WAY different.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, the restaurant walk-around sampler is a real thibg. You actually walk from restaurant to restaurant sampling drinkks, appetizers, entrees, and deserts. It really is a blast!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ideal Meal by David Jonathan (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL