The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Down 2 1 from Jon Allem (90 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Lol I had faith you’d pull through Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
I just reviewed this here Smile

Thanks for watching and feel free to subscribe!
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
This has been out of stock for a while but Murphy's has just received a new batch. Down to One, is available once again!

Here’s what Gregory Wilson (whose original coin flip move was published in ‘Magic For Dummies in 1998) says about my coin toss:

“Jon’s handling of the controlled coin flip is completely different and even fooled me!"

Available once again directly from me at https://www.OnlineMagicShop.co.uk or from your favourite magic dealer.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Purchased this a few weeks back and performed it today at a corporate annual meeting for a company of 65 people. This was a fantastic purchase! It was very well received and a lot of fun for all! Highly recommended!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
Here's my honest review of "Down 2 1": It's a ripoff of FLIP by Wes Iseli which was one of the best, exceptionally priced contributions by a magician of late (at $20)! Jon took Wes's elegantly simple idea (which Jon admits upfront) and more than tripled the cost at $65 - $75 with props that aren't even needed (Yes, you can use regular coins because as Jon says, "the coins aren't gimmicked", and any kid can make the "special envelope"). Jon has only improved on two small nits that Jon perceives are lacking in Wes's routine--but let's not forget: IT FOOLED PENN AND TELLER.

Plus, Wes, who obviously worked on his "Flip" concept for years, instead of Jon working on his "improvement" for a fraction of that time, came up with all the nuances and presentational approaches to demonstrate the same effect in all the various venues with copious explanations and battle-tested advice. Wes, offered to other magicians a well thought out trick that can be performed from close-up to parlor to stage, all at a reasonable price.

Jon took just ONE of part of all that Wes created and sold it as his own to the magic community at a very unreasonable price.
Wes, is probably not doing or saying anything about Jon ripping him off because he's too nice a guy. BTW I do own both.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2023, chicagoman wrote:
Here's my honest review of "Down 2 1": It's a ripoff of FLIP by Wes Iseli which was one of the best, exceptionally priced contributions by a magician of late (at $20)! Jon took Wes's elegantly simple idea (which Jon admits upfront) and more than tripled the cost at $65 - $75 with props that aren't even needed (Yes, you can use regular coins because as Jon says, "the coins aren't gimmicked", and any kid can make the "special envelope"). Jon has only improved on two small nits that Jon perceives are lacking in Wes's routine--but let's not forget: IT FOOLED PENN AND TELLER.

Plus, Wes, who obviously worked on his "Flip" concept for years, instead of Jon working on his "improvement" for a fraction of that time, came up with all the nuances and presentational approaches to demonstrate the same effect in all the various venues with copious explanations and battle-tested advice. Wes, offered to other magicians a well thought out trick that can be performed from close-up to parlor to stage, all at a reasonable price.

Jon took just ONE of part of all that Wes created and sold it as his own to the magic community at a very unreasonable price.
Wes, is probably not doing or saying anything about Jon ripping him off because he's too nice a guy. BTW I do own both.

To be fair: for about two years (from the Fool Us performance until just recently), Iseli's version was priced at $100... so, the claim that Jon's was more expensive was not true until recently.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Quote:

Oh, I thought they came up with the idea independently.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

If you do own both then you would know that Jon's method is NOT the same as Flip. As a matter of fact it is TOTALLY different. Flip requires "feeling" whereas Jon's method has nothing to do with feeling. Not sure what your motive is?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
Jon took Wes's elegantly simple idea

What is the elegantly simple idea?

Let us start with that.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Chicagoman obviously had no interest in posting an honest review; just a diatribe against me for some reason. Only the fourth post since 2014. Almost as though someone has gone back to a former account. . . .

We can wait a little longer to see if my simple question above will be answered. There are a few accusations flying about in the post. However, if this first question asking what is the elegantly simple idea from Wes cannot be answered then it is obvious that someone is simply in attack mode for some reason and the post lacks any validity.

Oh well.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Recently got this.

No matter how much I practice, too often the flip just doesn't land in the right spot (so I can'd do the move smoothly or it falls to the floor) or lands on its edge instead of flat and falls to the floor. I've played around with various ways of flipping the coin and positioning my catching hand differently but nothing seems to help.

What is everyone else's experience with this? Any tips if you're not having this issue? Feel free to PM me
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Patrick.

Firstly, thanks for getting Down to One.

Do you mean you aren't able to flip the coin and have it land on your fingers? Try cushioning the fall by dropping your hand slightly as the coin lands.

I don't know how you're having so much trouble having the coin land in your hand... unless I'm missing something.

Hope that helps
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Of course the coin lands in my hand, but sometimes it lands elsewhere on the hand, and mostly it either lands on the edge/side of the fingers and falls off, or lands on its edge (doesn't land horizontally) and so it bounces off/rolls off the hand vs just falling flat on it and staying put. Not sure how you can perfectly time that not to happen unless you're able to slow down time to watch the coin flip in the air.

I've tried cushioning the blow when catching, it didn't change anything because the coin can still land wonky at the point where you catch it.

It's not like it's happening all the time (falling to the floor), I'd just like to figure out how to prevent it from happening. I wouldn't want to drop the coin in performance. Mostly the issue is it doesn't land exactly where it needs to so there's too much adjustment needed to do the move and I feel it makes it look super sketchy. But maybe that's just because I know I'm doing a move?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
So strange! I can't get it to NOT land in my hand once it hits my fingers

Even if it lands on its edge, it falls down onto my hand.

Please send me a video of what's happening when it lands on your hand to jallen@Close-upMagician.com and I'll see what I can suggest.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
It may help to relax your hand a little and in a way slightly cup your hand. If maybe your hand is rigid or taught or in a way hard and flat, I can see how the chip could possibly then bounce off and not fall flat even if it hits the side of the chip. Try relaxing the hand and slight cupping it so when it hits the fingers, it will be cushioned a bit more which should hopefully make it fall flat on the fingers ready to do what you need to - hope that helps.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

I have played around with that too, Roberto but thank you for trying to help.

I don't see how this can ever been 100% because you need the coin to land exactly in a tiny area of the hand to be able to do the move. I don't understand how no one else is having this issue.

Either the coin hits the edge of the index finger and the weight of the coin flips it over and onto the floor, or it lands too far towards the pinky or too far into the palm and then you either miss the move (and have to flip again for no apparent reason) or have to bounce it around in your hand until it's in position.

I'll shoot a video and send it to Jon.

One thing that does help is to flip it super lightly, so it still spins but it's almost like pushing it up vs flicking it up. But still, if it lands in the wrong spot you're in bad shape...

I seem to be the only one with issues so don't let this dissuade anyone from purchasing this product.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Hmm. The coin never lands the same place on my hand after I flip it and I don't have an issues doing the move. I'm trying to understand what you're saying but sorry I can't figure it out. There's times I don't even reveal the color right away just so I can get everything into place and it never has been an issue with the audience.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Maybe "the move" to you is not the same as "the move" to me... There are two moves, I'm talking about the first one. The second one is no issue as like you say, you have all the time in the world.

You can't do the first move unless the coin lands in a certain place. If it doesn't land in that place, you need to readjust by bouncing the coin around on the hand. I will refrain from discussing further as I'd start describing too much and possibly expose the method.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Played with this some more and for me, I need to REALLY drop my hand quite a bit to soften the blow but it works well enough now. The large downwards motion also allows me to reposition while coming back up before slapping it on the back of my hand.
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Down 2 1 from Jon Allem (90 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL