The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Big Picture - Kyle Purnell *DROPPING AT MAGIC LIVE* (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Just a reminder; I’ve given my full thoughts here:

https://www.magicreview.org/post/big-picture-by-kyle-purnell

It’s a great method. Easy to do and the deck is prepared wonderfully. It works smoothly and it’s very deceptive—ESPECIALLY the “advanced handling.”

I’ve added a little touch where I use a timing force to have the spectator tell me where to stop as I drop cards on the table. Wherever they stop me, that’s where I start showing them the objects they can think of. It just adds one additional layer of camouflage. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But I enjoy it, so that’s how I’m playing with it currently.

Also just a note: the prediction is not ambiguous in the slightest. There is no doubt in the spectator’s mind that it is the object they chose.

Madison
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Thanks Madison.
I do still wonder about R+S...
magikyle
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of magikyle
I don't think I'm in the wrong for putting this to bed: yes there is R+S, but it's used in an uncommon way Smile
eddie1
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
277 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Finally leipzisch will be able to sleep at night. Smile
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Ha ha Eddie.
A rough night's sleep has now become much smoother.
Thanks Kyle, I'm intrigued how it can be used uncommonly!
magikyle
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of magikyle
Haha...I mean don't get too excited 😆 it's not revolutionary or anything, but you're not simply separating r****** pairs in a spread, as it's usually done Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
OK, I now have this in front of me and have watched the tutorial so I thought I’d share my first impression since a few folks had some concerns about performing this.

First impression is that I like it. My gut feeling having never actually performed it yet is that it’s a very cool effect and should be a strong fooler. It’s not trick of the year IMO but it’s good and I am not disappointed at all with it. Of course, this could change if it seems to go over much better (or worse) than I would expect it to.

I’ll address a couple concerns people had…

What if the spectator doesn’t commit to a card before you are done dealing thru the stack?

Kyle covers this in detail and there is some smart thinking that’s gone into this. But essentially its what I said in an earlier post, you are not asking the spec to say stop nor are you asking them to name one of the objects they see written. You say think of one of these, slowly run thru the cards and then say “got one?, good”, and you square up the deck and continue with the routine. This signifies that you expect them to have one in mind so if they hadn’t committed already they will remember one of the ones they saw. If you are super paranoid about it then you do have the option of not using the full deck of cards and only using the stack. This provides them with fewer choices of course but still plenty enough to make it a strong effect, and this is how Kyle originally performed it. There is no law that everything resembling a card trick must have 52 choices. But personally I like it better the way Kyle does it now.

Does it use R&S?

As Kyle already stated, it is used as part of the method. There are actually several things going on here that add layers of deception to the effect. But I was surprised that this does use R&S because I don’t recall ever seeing it used this way before. For those with dry hands let me state that I have NEVER been able to use an off the shelf R&S deck. I have always had to make my own deck in the custom manner that I’ve developed over the years. But the way that the R&S is used in this deck it is fortunately no problem at all. I can’t imagine anyone having a problem handling these roughed cards in a natural way. If you avoid R&S I can assure you that you need not worry about that with this effect.

The deck comes already printed with all the words written and whatever drawings are required. That was a nice touch because I’m so used to having to always write all the words myself for any effects like this that have words or numbers on them. The only thing you will have to do yourself is write the question marks if you wish to have them on the backs of your prediction cards as Kyle does. But they are not necessary and are simply an embellishment so you can not bother with them if you prefer.

There is an additional video which shows a tiny bit of arts and crafts if you want to make a particular part of the routine a bit easier to do without thinking about it. But this is really easy A&C and again, it’s not even necessary as it just makes an already super simple “move” to be self-working.

There is also an additional video they call advanced handling but that doesn’t mean it is more difficult, it’s just an alternate handling. I’m not sure yet but I may actually prefer the slightly more basic handling.

So overall I really do like this. I rather doubt that it will make it into the “Killer Trick” category nor is it destined to become a classic in magic, but very few effects are. I don’t think even Kyle would consider this to be a closer. But it would make a very solid opener or middle effect. If you like what you see in the trailer then you should be happy with what Kyle has come up with.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Excellent review, thank you VHSwoman!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Was kind of on the fence about this one, but if videoman likes it, that's enough for me!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 18, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
Excellent review, thank you VHSwoman!

Thanks and you are very welcome Lipstick!
magikyle
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of magikyle
Thanks for the review:) yes, I actually have been using it more in my stand up act, and it's been a solid middler. I also have a new handling I've been using that adds one more magical moment in the routine.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Got this today, it's excellent. I will use it for sure,
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
A few thoughts in the hopes of a Big Picture 2.0. Can we get the prediction cards with just a blank back? Could we also just get a blank box. I literally want all blank everything.
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Hi all.
Here's my ramblings
Review Channel - Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

Podcast. Search 'Steve Faulkner's Magic Show' or
Apple https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/steve-faulkners-magic-show/id1484648736

Membership. https://www.onlinemagic.co

IBM UK Close-up Champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
20% off today if you use discount code BIGPRICE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Big Picture - Kyle Purnell *DROPPING AT MAGIC LIVE* (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL