The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth remembrance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Way back when, David had a challenge of sorts as to who could come up with an assembly without using an extra coin. I didn't solve it but tried, and I remember thinking of using 3 coins. Well, I did have a Tri-Matrix plus with larger coins produced at the end, 2 of which were in classic palm from the start and one extra hidden in the cards (3 cards). That was in one of my newsletters, but really the guy to solve it was Dean Dill, although I don't know if he got a trophy from Roth or what.

Anyway, Dean's had a kick-move in the middle and I don't like quick moves, so again back to 3 coins, a Triangle. That was when I began playing with metal bottle caps for the trick, because you can do a pickup from the table with those. Bermuda Triangle was born and even though the last move wasn't perfect, it ran in Genii magazine.

Because I didn't like the last move, I eventually scrapped the whole thing and came up with a Coins Across plot with the metal bottle caps and added a large coin as the magic talisman and for the caps to clang against when they "reappeared" each time. So I described that routine on the anniversary of David Roth's passing as a tribute. Also, besides classic palming so well, there has been the problem of the public not knowing what a half dollar even IS anymore. So, it was an attempt to solve that situation. Mike Rubinstein had been exploring poker chips at the time to solve the issue.

And so, I just revised my routine with the metal bottlecaps, and like the new handling better, and wrote it up in the Secret Sessions section.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth remembrance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL