The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » How to cut a silk ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dtrickys
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
I have 24’ silk , I want make hole in the middle
What is best way to cut Make a hole or circle in the center of the silk .

Thank you for solution
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Lie it flat on a table or ironing board. Place an object (dinner plate, saucer?) in the center of the silk, or where you want the hole. Draw around the plate with a pencil. Remove plate. cut out the circle with a sharp pair of scissors. Now roll a hem all around the hole, using a warm iron to press teh hem flat. Hand sew the hem down to the larger part of the silk. Voila!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
dtrickys
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
How can you sew this silk handkerchief, you can't ?
The handkerchief will be destroyed
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I don't know what you are asking... I've made more than a dozen 'knot off silks' this way!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I first draw the hole with Fray Check, that you can buy in the sewing departments. After the Fray Check dries, you cut out the hole leaving the Fray Check on the silk. The Fray Check will keep the silk from fraying and you do not have to hem.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Good solution Dan! The only weakness with using FrayChek is that is stiffens the edge of the fabric a bit, and therefore makes knot tying problematic.

Another idea is to buy fabric paint for silk (found in art stores) in the same color as the silk. Apply the paint sparingly around the edges of the hole.then 'heat set' the fabric with an iron. Now cut your silk and the edges won't fray ,and they will remain supple and fluid without fraying!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do the way JNeal does. Fray check does stiffen the hold. It is not that hard to sew the circle depending on the size of the silk and hole size. I have even done double turned hems on the circles on a machine instead of by hand.
The most important thing to figure out where to place the hole and how big to make it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Jeff McBride uses an embroidery hoop to stretch the fabric really taut, and then uses a sharp pair of fabric scissors. I was thinking to use a scalpel actually, but the hoop is the piece I wanted to share mostly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » How to cut a silk ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL