The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How young is too young? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Im a fifteen year old magician who lives in NY. Is it worth me to try to get a job at a restaraunt and what is the best approach to get the gig? I figured I can go to TGIF do some tricks and do what Bill Malone does to try and get the gig but instead of saying I used to work restaraunts I would say last summer the manager at Sizzlers hired me. He asked me to this year but I think that I got too many customers in there and he was paying $7 per hour. This will have him consider more customers and he will probaly say I will pay you $10 or more.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You are not too young if that was your question.
Search Bishthemagic on this site and read his posts.
Up the fee a little though. You are going to have a hard time getting more money when you are older if you don't get it now.
Your age does NOT determine the amount of money you are worth.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Josh Jay worked restaurants at your age, from what I understand. In my area, where fees are really low, $25 per hour is typical.

Just be sure that you have an excellent performance set. Before I did my first restaurant gig, I had been doing both paid and unpaid strolling gigs, to hone the material.
iamthegoat2003
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
22 Posts

Profile of iamthegoat2003
What are some good resources on performing in restaraunts? I am about to get started with restaraunts at a young age also.

Thanks
Masterj
The mind is too complicated to read,
but who is to say it can not be summarized?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-07-03 03:52, iamthegoat2003 wrote:
What are some good resources on performing in restaraunts? I am about to get started with restaraunts at a young age also.

Thanks
Masterj

Any book by Kirk Charles is great, especially his book on restaurant magic. Bound volumes of The Magic Menu are good, but I wouldn't subscribe because of bad customer service.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I have done restaurants in the past and you are never too young as long as you are good enough.
Make sure your routine is very solid, well rehersed and timed! you don't want to be at a tble for too long just because you set routine is taking longer than you thought.
Make sure that all your tricks re-set instantly.
Have at least 2 set 3-4 minute routines and another 10 spare tricks in your head ready to do should you need to!
every season, if you are being asked back, it is worth disscusing your fee, because if you are pulling in more people for them, they won't want to let you go for that extra 10 dollars an hour ;@)
good luck.
hope this helped.
all the best
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
First, as has been said, make sure you have at least 4-5 solid routines, several with audience participation.

Second, have lunch at the restaurant in mid-afternoon, say 2 pm on a Tuesday. It's likely not to be busy. Make sure to bring with you a couple of killer routines that get big audience reastions, such as Sponge Balls or Card to Wallet. Dress nicely, but not too upscale for the resturant, just make sure you look neat and clean. I usually wear a polo shirt, chinos and a sport coat. Make sure you have shaved, brushed your teeth and have checked for bad breath and B.O. (This may seem obvious, but I cannot tell you how many magicians have terrible personal hygiene.)

Ask your server who the G.M. (General Manager) or owner is. Get their name and ask if they are available. Your minimum goal here is to get an appointment for another day.

If the G.M. or owner is not available, do NOT talk to any assistant managers. You need to talk to the decision-maker. Find out when the G.M. will be back and return to the restaurant that day, again mid-afternoon when it's slower.

If the G.M. is there and has time to chat, they will probably think you have a complaint. Assure them that the meal was great and your service was fine, and let them know you have a service that can help them in numerous ways, such as: bringing in family business on slow weeknights, keeping the wait line happy on busy nights, covering for kitchen mistakes, attracting large parties, etc.

Ask for 15 minutes of his/her time on another day. Often, they will say "Go ahead, let's talk now," at which point you explain the magic service you provide. Make sure to frame things from THEIR point of view. They don't care about what you do; they care about what you can do for THEM. Talk in terms of what will help the restaurant make more money or keep customers happy and coming back.

If the G.M. wants a demo, ask him to watch the *spectators,* not you. Go to a table and quietly mention that the restaurant is trying something new (true), and ask them if it's okay for you show them some magic. Do ONE routine for them and hopefully, they will react well. When you are done, thank them and return to the manager, who by this time should have a solid idea of your abilities. At this point, age should no longer be an issue.

I could go on about negotiating the deal, but this post is already too long. Get a copy of the "Magic Menu" books, which have lots of ideas on getting gigs, and I would also recommend, "How To Get Your First Restaurant Show," by Frank Buono whose email is frank@abs.net.

Hope this helps.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Six and Goat...

Eric makes excellent points in his post; follow them to your good advantage. The only alteration that I would make is to make a call in advance: you don't want to tip anything (don't indicate who you are or why you are calling), just get the marketing intel before you go. That information is the name of the GM, and the time/day that he or she will be there this week. There is one day that they are almost always in, as they often have joint calls with their supervisor, and the other managers in their region (assuming going to a chain...). I would even go so far as to ask when that call is likely to take place/ be finished. (Go before the call, and they are preparing for it; too long after it, and they may be out the door.)

I work at two chain locations, and at one private restaurant weekly, doing balloons and magic. The first time I was working a set schedule in restaurants I was 17, and doing only magic. (I was 17, but probably looked 15... Now I look like I'm in my late 30's Smile )

As stated above, and in many other posts around this and other sites, if you are good enough to work in a restaurant, then you are good enough to be paid a proper wage. Depending upon your area's 'going rate', that is likely to fall somewhere in the $25-50 an hour range. There are some places that might pay more for an experienced magi, but if they want to pay less, then they are not serious about having you, as you could make $10-20 an hour waiting tables. I don't get paid a 'premium' for being older, so, IF you have what it takes, you should not be penalized for being young. (Value is value)

Also, the link for Frank Buono's site is not accurate; here it is without the extra characters that keep you out... How To Get Your First Restaurant Show

JM Smile Smile

(This post spell-checked within the browser entry field with a free program available at www.iespell.com . I have no interest in the product, except as a happy customer.)
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I'm 17 and people don't have problems with me. They take my magic seriously.

As long as they see determination and the presence of magic in you, you'll get hired. Trust me.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How young is too young? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL