The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Numerical Order? How Fast Are You? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Hey Gang,just a curious question, I am familiar with Lennart Green (awesome by the way) and am looking for a way to take a borrowed deck, shuffled by the spectator, no deck switch, and have them appear in numerical order. How fast can it be done? The slop shuffle works for the red and blacks, and you can do Mr. Green's One two separation for the suits, but how would you put them in order at lightning speed?

I was toying around with the idea of a stripper deck, but that means it can't be borrowed, and I still would have to arrange them in numerical order at the end.

Please help me,
Derek
Derek Johnston
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
You can't put a deck in numerical order without doing deck switches, if you want the spectator to shuffle. At least not at lightning speed. Even the best cardicians in the world would have to do it in about 52 shuffles. You would have to do a deck switch, or not let the spectator shuffle.

Shane Wiker
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Try to invent a magic trick that secretly organizes the deck. I have a friend who can take a borrowed shuffled deck and turn it into a Si Stebbins stacked deck right under the spectator's nose.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
That's Lennart Green your referring to, and the way he does it is with a cull. If you have Volume 1, watch the routine at the end where he does the above mentioned trick, and when he picks up each of the packets, you can see him culling the cards into correct order Smile Enjoy !
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
If you watch his new dvds you will understand completely how he does it. It's not hard to reverse a shuffle.
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Howdy Mattisdx, Lennard Green uses a stack,and by dealing a certain way is able to get them back in numerical order,he doesn't cull them back into order,he only does that with the colors,then the suits. Speaking of a tall order,i know this is a challenge,If someone can SI stebbins the deck,why cant you put the cards in order,I just am in need of a method that performs it quickly.
cheers
Derek Johnston
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Hey magic1178, Lennart actually doesn't use a stack. He starts his routine with the deck in full order and than goes from there. You could call that a stack in essence, but after the shuffle by the spectator, he does indeed cull the cards, however the video is showing the audience clapping while he's culling. You get to see the beginning and the ending of the culling process, but they edited out his "work". Smile
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Howdy again Mattisdx,Maybe were thinking of different Volumes. Im referring to fractal harmony,and in that effect he uses a stack. Are we thinking of the same tape ,and if so,you may be thinking about his other trick,2nd birthday surprise.
cheers
Derek
ps.still looking for someone that has put the deck back in numerical order(no stack)
Derek Johnston
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Guy Hollingworth has a very interesting method of covertly arranging the suits into numerical order.
It's done in the act of counting cards from one hand to the other and can be found in 'Drawing Room Deceptions'.
Hello.
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
Brother John Hamman has a routine where he puts the deck in order after 4 culls. It is called 'The Chinese Shuffle'.

In Rogers Thesaurus there is also a cull system to put a shuffled deck in order during several Routines. It describes a system of David Carré, who developed several other systems.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Hey magic1178, actually we were both referring to different volumes, I was referring to his FISM act on Volume 1, and I believe Fractal Harmony is on Volume 3, so you are correct. Good Job Smile
disappointing hack
View Profile
New user
aberystwyth
98 Posts

Profile of disappointing hack
I can get a shuffled deck back into new-deck order in about a minute and a half, but I would NEVER consider using it in any form of performance.
"shoot 'em in the back, quick, while they're not looking" Richard M. Nixon's Head.
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
The folks in Japan have turned this into an Olympic style event. You can see clips of them in action by going to the Wizards Inn website.

The downloads take a long a time even with broadband, but they're worth the wait.

This guy can do it in about 45 seconds:
http://www.esp-lab.com/wizard/streaming/......ee01.wmv

A different, slower technique:
http://www.esp-lab.com/wizard/streaming/......co01.wmv
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi
Do a Hearts/Spades and Club/Diamond Lenert Green offset cull (casually).

Spread deck face up pause and collect - Next do a suit cull on the basis of removing the J,Q,K,A - give these out to be checked and shuffled, whilst this is being done casually sort the order of the remaining suit order cards in your hand - do not rush it and do not worry if your are not finished when the examination of the face cards is done.

Do a trick with the Picture stack.

Finish that trick and openly sort out the pictures to order and suit.

Place the correct picture/suit four cards on top of deck, riffle down to next suit and do the same, repeat for other two suits.

At this stage you should be at least 90% there.

Now some false shuffles and if you can rearange some of the remaining cards.

Fan them facing you move a few around (frowning)- you should now be there. more false shuffles.

Be casual - don't panic - practice.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Paula and Craig,thank you very much,and thank everyone else for responding to this,awesome,that video gave me some ideas,just what I was looking for.
Cheers
Derek
Derek Johnston
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Numerical Order? How Fast Are You? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL