The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gaff to hold four cards together (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

akxi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of akxi
This is what I want:

A gimmick that can hold a small packet of cards together, but which for all practical purposes, is invisible. The gimmick should also be possible to remove without the spectators noticing.

Envision that you could hand out the deck for shuffling, then upon receiving the deck you can immediately locate the packet of say four aces. You can the secretly remove the gimmick and proceed to do some sort of four ace miracle.

All suggestions for possible solutions to this challenge are highly appreciated.
PS: Obviously I do not want to palm the aces onto the deck after shuffling. The solution should aim to minimize any deck handling between the deck is shuffled and the moment the four aces are being located on top of the deck.

Best regards,

Aksel
it's not enough to see it. you have to feel it....
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2023, akxi wrote:
Obviously I do not want to palm the aces onto the deck after shuffling. The solution should aim to minimize any deck handling between the deck is shuffled and the moment the four aces are being located on top of the deck.

Best regards,

Aksel

Adding on palmed cards is minimal handling of the deck. If you're looking for a spectator to shuffle a deck and the aces are loaded onto the deck without you handling it then that doesn't exist or at least it doesn't exist in any form that wouldn't be more suspicious.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2023, Frank Yuen wrote:
If you're looking for a spectator to shuffle a deck and the aces are loaded onto the deck without you handling it then that doesn't exist or at least it doesn't exist in any form that wouldn't be more suspicious.

You can skip the loading part and have the aces in the deck from the start. There is a very clever way to do that -- feel free to PM me about it.

Mike
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
This is what I want:

A gimmick that can hold a small packet of cards together, but which for all practical purposes, is invisible. The gimmick should also be possible to remove without the spectators noticing.

I have seen exactly the gimmick you are thinking of. I think it was made with fishing line. Or it might have been invisible thread. A spectator shuffled the deck without noticing the packet. The magician took the deck back, located the packet by touch, and removed the thread without anyone noticing.

I am pretty sure it was in a Penguin lecture, but can't remember whose at the moment. What I can remember (I think) was that the guy was not a great card man, but he had come up with this solution that allowed him to avoid using deft sleight of hand. I'll see if I can track down which one it was.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:
This is what I want:

I have seen exactly the gimmick you are thinking of. I think it was made with fishing line. Or it might have been invisible thread. A spectator shuffled the deck without noticing the packet. The magician took the deck back, located the packet by touch, and removed the thread without anyone noticing.

I am pretty sure it was in a Penguin lecture, but can't remember whose at the moment. What I can remember (I think) was that the guy was not a great card man, but he had come up with this solution that allowed him to avoid using deft sleight of hand. I'll see if I can track down which one it was.

Yes! That method is in print too! I remember!
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Oh, I see. He wanted the cards to be in the deck from the start not loaded in using a gimmick. Totally misunderstood the question.
akxi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of akxi
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2023, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is what I want:

Thanks for the info! I have been thinking along the same lines as fishing line Smile Please revert me to the Penguin lecture if it comes to mind (or the print).

Aksel
akxi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of akxi
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2023, the Sponge wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is what I want:

Would be great if I could get the name of the print so I could research it Smile

Aksel
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Charles Gauci -
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4607

My memory was faulty. Charles shuffled the deck - NOT the spectator.
He had a stack of about half the deck, not just 4 cards. If you used his method with 4 cards, maybe you could let a spectator shuffle, and they wouldn't notice? I don't know.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Why not just use a stripper deck?
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
Quote:
This is what I want:

The Exchange Deck by Tomas Medina has a fishing line running through much of the middle of the deck. It helps you switch a card or a packet/group of cards excellently. It is out of stock everywhere but I have seen it on walmart's site of all places.
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/868
https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Exchange-......39410420
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
As far as a gaff that can hold 4 cards together (minus the fishing line) there was a set a few years ago called “Magneato Cards” by Card-Shark and Haines Kotch (I am fairly sure I butchered that name) the 2 “gaffs” would stay together in the proper orientation and their “field” was strong enough to still hold with a few cards in between.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Gaff to hold four cards together (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL