The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Magic on the web » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Paul, how do you feel magic on the web has changed magic? Do you think it has helped magic in a way, or made it go down the tunnel even more? I am really looking forward to seeing your answer on these two questions.

Later,
James Watkins
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hello James,

Great questions, and tough ones. I cannot speak to whether the massive amount of magic now on the web has changed magic for the laity; but certainly it has changed magic for magicians. Secrets are much, much more available than ever before; commercial releases are almost tripping over one another as they stream out of people and find places on the Internet. It's just more and more and more and more. While I think that making more information available is a good thing, especially to younger, aspiring magicians, I also think that the glut as Racherbaumer coined it some years ago causes a good amount of young magicians to, through no real fault of their own, miss a very, very important aspect of a secret sleight or a good routine. I don't think that they realize that they should cherish what they've been exposed to, or absorbed, or purchased. It shouldn't be about wanting more, it should be about cherishing each sleight or routine or DVD or book or Internet clip that you are exposed to.

That's a short answer to a deeper question, but I hope it gives you some sense of my perspective.

Paul
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Paul I couldn't agree with you more. Also, Internet Piracy is becoming a huge problem for new creator's releasing effects, and some of the bigger names releasing their effect. I also agree about it being good for the information being available to younger aspiring magicians, but like you said, they do not cherish what they learn. They want to go out and perform a trick for their friend, and learn another to fool them. Entertaining is nowhere on their list, well atleast not some.

Thanks,
James Watkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Magic on the web » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL