The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Stuck in an Elevator (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
I’ve always carried a lot of ‘tricks’ and puzzles in my pocket. I find it quite reassuring to feel the weight and hear the clink. And it seems a bit churlish not to share a moment or two of impossibility when called upon, particularly if people know you are a ‘magician’.

A few years ago this habit really saved the day. I got stuck in a hotel lift/elevator. With three perfect strangers.

When it became clear we weren’t going anywhere, perhaps for some time, a woman let out this awful groan and began to sink to the floor.

As quick as a flash I reached into my pocket and pulled out the first thing I found — a length of rope. I was in the strangest altered state, pretty much on auto-pilot. I just felt that it was important to create a positive distraction.

‘Watch!’ I said, and produced some knots in a flash. My captive audience looked startled, but interested. ‘I love doing this,’ I said, and performed another flourish. ‘Don’t worry, I’m a magician.’

Hand on heart, I felt the mood change. ‘Have a look,’ I said, handing over the rope, ‘and you probably know this but it’s one of my favourite things…’ I had the classic 2-piece pyramid puzzle in my hand. ‘See if you can fit these two pieces together to make a pyramid.’

We were stuck for about ten minutes. (I could have gone on for hours.) When we were released we stood in the vestibule and I was asked for ‘just one more trick’!

Bit of a dream gig, really.

You don’t need me to tell you: always be ready. Especially in old hotels.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
For such an impromptu magic situation, for me, it would have to be "Day One" by Scott Cram.
Revealing any day on any date, year and month, called for.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
"perfect strangers" - now that would be magical, those unflawed by bias, false assumptions and social media myopia. Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Stuck in an Elevator (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL