The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Convention for Beginners (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aderzis0617
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of aderzis0617
I am looking to go to a Magic Convention to see what it's all about but I've only been doing it for about 7 months now and am by no means an expert. I was looking into the Atlanta Harvest of Magic since I live in Birmingham, AL and it's close but it says it is only 165 participants so I am assuming I need to be an expert magician to get into that? Any advice on other avenues of events like that I could attend at my level currently?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
It doesn't matter what level you rank yourself. You will get something out of any convention that you attend. The fact that some conventions limit their attendance only means that you have a better chance of having a better experience, without a large crowd.

Cheers !
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It's an interesting idea, but I think you'll be able to get A LOT of value from a convention with 165 participants.

Just make sure the folks you talk to know you're a beginner, as I've found that many magicians just assume any other magicians they encounter are at least as experienced as they are... But once they know you're a beginner, rest assured - EVERYONE will want to "show you something" (and will probably love to teach it to you as well!)

Definitely go, if you're considering it. Don't wait until you're "better" or more experienced. Now is always the best time to learn new stuff.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
What ever level you are going to a convention is well worth a visit. Small conventions are great as you can meet most people and have accesses to the guest magicians.
My top tips,
- Take notes, I have a note app that I take phots and text with.
- Hydrate,Long days in a/c hotel.
- Find out if there a secound hand dealer day... Buy old and buy cheap!
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Just visited there page it looks great.I would go.
https://atlantaharvestofmagic.com/
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Adezis, The Atlanta Harvest usually is sold out by now. You might want to check out Bob Sanders Magic Valley convention. It's in Clanton Alabama which might be closer to you. The information about Magic Valley is in these threads. Contact Bob for more information.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=31

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=31 This one is last years convention but will give you an idea of what goes on at the convention.
Where the magic begins
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Atlanta Harvest of Magic was my first convention. Ken Scott really does a great job running it. I think you'll really enjoy it. Try to stay at the Sonesta so you can hang out and jam late into the night.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2023, Dave Scribner wrote:
The Atlanta Harvest usually is sold out by now.

It is not sold out yet.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Also - learn at least ONE effect to the point where you can perform it. Just make it something simple, that you enjoy. Maybe a self worker, maybe something with a single move. Then show folks that one thing, at the convention. People love to show you "how they do it"... it's a great way to get into a conversation. Getting into a "session" like that is the best way to meet interesting folks and learn.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Go.
Go to as many of the events, contests, lectures, etc as you can on any topic that interests you and maybe some that don't.
If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I plan on going to the Texas Association of Magicians convention this year, for the first time since probably 1980.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
AndrewG_VT
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of AndrewG_VT
I have similar question. I'm also a beginner, and I'm trying to decide between the IBM convention in Pittsburg and the SAM convention in New Orleans. I live in VT and haven't been able to find many magicians here to interact with/learn from. Amazingly, I'm able to make either convention work. Can anyone offer any reasons why I might chose one over the other as a beginner?

Also, if anyone can steer me towards any events or groups in my neck of the woods, that kind of information would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance. I hope this isn't a repeat question. I did a search a couldn't find anything.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Take a look at the headliners and choose based on which one has the best line up for you.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Gaddy's advice is great. I would add, do you happen to know where each convention is the following year? Maybe play the long game and choose the one next year that you can go to, and go to the other one this year.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
167 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
AndrewG_VT, where in Vermont do you live?

There don't appear to be an Society of American Magician Assemblies in Vermont. There is an S.A.M virtual assembly.
https://www.magicsam.com/forums_engageme......_1699009

If you're in Southern VT, my Assembly 17, is just outside of Springfield, MA. A straight shot down Route 91. We meet the first Friday of the month. There are also a number of assemblies in NY. There's one in Albany.

The S.A.M. site also lists a number of magicians in VT. As we tend to be a friendly bunch, they might be interested in a get together.

Message me about other opportunities in Massachusetts, if you're interested.

Mark
AndrewG_VT
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of AndrewG_VT
Thanks Mark,

I'm in Montpelier, but I know the Springfield drive well. I'll start by trying to connect with some folks locally. It woud be great to find or grow a club around here. If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely take you up on your offer.

I am heading to the I.B.M convention in Pittsburg in a few weeks. Hopefully I can find some New England folks there too.

Andrew
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
We have the Atlanta Harvest of Magic Sept 28-30th
https://atlantaharvestofmagic.com/
going to be a blast!

Ken Scott
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I second the thought to go to Atlanta if you can. Ken's gathering us top notch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Convention for Beginners (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL