The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » McBrides School » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
askinner
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of askinner
Okay everyone, thank you for all the input. If I do go, I'll add my experiences to this post or start a new one. BTW - I head out to India with a team of other magicians for 2 weeks of shows with Campus Crusade. I'd appreciate prayers.
Thanks again... Al
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Al, You have my prayers, and I am sure the prayers of others. I pray safe travels, wisdom, courage, srrength, and the Hand of God upon you all.

That has to be a great experience, and I am sure that you be as blessed as the folks to whom you minister with your magic.

God Bless!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
You bet...good for you!

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Spiritualism is very helpful and isn't bad. He's not going to throw you out just because you believe differently. You can always talk about it
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Eat the fish and discard the bones!
FM
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I actually hosted two lectures, shows and master classes with Jeff and Abbi. I had some concern on that point but I found them to be totaly pro. While they are who they are...there was never an issue or a single uncomfortable moment. I would recommend Jeff as an outstanding teacher of magic and performance skill to everyone serious about the craft.

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Having been a facilitator for Mystery School and a participant in McBride's Mysterium allow me to comment on the nature of the "rituals."

What we presented were examples of interactive theater possesing a large symbolic content combined with "magical" staging techniques. The "rituals" were designed to deomonstrate how powerful magic in context can be, at the same time allow the participants to experience first hand the efficacy of the power of these symbols.

Symbols are the tool of the artist. The Artist combines these symbols to produce a feelingful response in the particpant/viewer. (Langer, Philosphy in a New Key)

The interactive theater experiences at McBride's functions were demonstrations of the dynamics shared by all successful art. All theater stems from ritual, and to this day there are elements of ritual in theater. At McBride's events we were afforded the opportunity to feel just what these ancient theatrical events entailed.

We had, as attendees and facilitators, religious studies experts, Orthadox Jews, Catholic Priests, Pagans, Athiests, and I believe one Baptist minister.

Theater and art are not that which we should fear; only closed mindedness.

As to events at the Magic School, I think you will find them to be far more of the conventional sort. I'm sure the Bizarre magick event in question was designed to illustrate an essential concept behind that genre, the power of meaningful context.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Thank you, Truthteller. Well said.

One concern remains for me about this discussion. While spirituality and religion go hand and hand they are not always the same. Some people can be spiritual but not necessarily religious. And some can be religious but not necesaarily spiritual. There seems to be a concern and/or misperception that merely doing some other religious or spiritual ritual or ceremony. I myself am a Christian (which sect does not matter for this discussion since there are many sects of Christianity). My participation in some other ritual is not going to "bring me to the other side". Funny thing: many of these religions existed before Christianity. Some of the rituals performed and holidays celebrated within Christian sects had roots in some so-called pagan customs as well as Jewish traditions. Some words that Jesus spoke (as per the Gospels) are very similar to those in some Buddhist texts --- coincidence, perhaps. But Jesus did travel around for 3 years before beginning his ministry.

I guess I feel the bottom line is this: if one is firmly rooted in one's religion and spiritual life then one will be firm in the face of anything. And one can better share with others one's own customs as well as the customs of others as long as one is not violating one's sensibilities. This discussion is also interesting because in some ways it is reminding me of magicians accused of withcraft a few hundred years ago and being burned at the stake. Lack of understanding then. Perhaps some lack of understanding now.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
If it makes you feel any better, I was told that McBride has great respect for the Laflin's and they may be a part of his teaching staff in the future.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
rogerj
View Profile
New user
Southern New Jersey
81 Posts

Profile of rogerj
Greetings, I just recently returned from Jeff McBrides master class. I am a Christian and I was also concerned about what would be going on while I was there. (For instance, with Max Mavnen being the guest would a room with homosexuals and "bizzare" magic disturb the holy spirit that lives inside us Christains.
I am glad to say that there was NO kind of thing that bothered me. I introduced myself as a Christian, and it was well known to all that he tried to keep it as secular as possible. Now by secular he meant that he tried very hard to NEVER interfere with anyones- pardon the expression - "religion". My advice from someone who has had recent experiance "Go ye therefore into the world and preach the gospel to ALL nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER SON and HOLY SPIRIT, teaching them to observe all things I have commanded and Lo I WILL BE WITH YOU ALWAYS even until the end of the age.
God will be there wherever you go. Yes, at times the HOly spirit poked at my heart at the acting of the other students and to be in the house of Jeff was an honor, though quite strange, but the LORD was with me and he'll be with you. Just like ACTS 1:8 says, "GO" this could be a great time to grow spiritually as well.
When I went I felt like I was the only Chrisitan in Vegas no one to talk to but of course GOD. (and who better to talk to amen? amen.) If you are living for Christ while you are there..........there from what I can remember, it will be the best trip of your life. HE will be with you anywhere you go. Learn all the magic you can. Do ALL for the glory for HIM.
RogerJ

Hey just to add a last note...........the entire time I was there, there was not one mention on his "spiritual" philosophies and rituals it was ALL magic. and as for that circle thing......all we do is get in a circle, talk about what we learned and Jeffs favorite story about some warriors who were all friends for life.
Sorry I took up so much space but I hoped this helps
RogerJ
ROGERJ
For by GRACE are you saved through faith and not of YOURSELVES it is the GIFT of God NOT OF WORKS so no man can boast.
-Ephesians 2:8-9
All RogerJ products can be found at www.skilledmagic.8k.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am a Christian, but I feel that people made to much of this.

As a Christian, I still like to learn and be exposed to other faiths and beliefs. We need to be accepting of others...
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » McBrides School » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL