The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Creating Working Effects... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Being that you have created MANY, MANY effects that I consider to be workers (practical, strong magic) and most of the tricks I come up with are somewhat immpractical...What goes into the thought process of creating effect? Do you start with a move you like or do you think of an effect that you wish to be possible?
~joeKing
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hi Joe,

I don't think I've created any *effects*, but I've developed routines for myself that are based on other's routines and effects.

The practicality you refer comes from working a routine, using it, performing it, honing it. If I sit at home and come up with a take on a routine that appeals to me and then go perform it fifty times I will not end up with the same routine that I envisioned sitting at home. I don't want to get caught and I want people to have fun. So if, during the course of performing a routine early in its life I feel that there's a presentationally awkward moment that deadens the fun, or a spot where the misdirection wasn't as strong as it could have been, or a line didn't work, or a sleight I'm using is a bad fit, then I start to adjust those things. While I thought the routine was fine when I left home after developing and practicing it, it is through performance that I notice where the adjustments need to be made. After some set of performances of a routine and those adjustments to it(this may take a day or week or years), it eventually becomes, for me, what Mike Close wonderfully termed: a worker. I hope that speaks clearly to your practical vs. impractical statement.

Regarding whether the creative process starts with a move or an effect, well, either! And both! The Bilis Switch led me to create an effect. The drunken poker deal effect led me to create a routine. Just let your mind go and go...

Paul
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Thanks, Paul...I'm learning a lot already from your visit!
~joeKing
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Hi Paul,

OK, I have a silly question for ya. Have you ever come up with a presentation first (say by reading a book or simply watching T.V.)...then decided to build an effect around that? Can't wait to see you at Danny's bash in the fall!!!

Mike
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
I don't believe I ever have, Mike, but I do remember years ago watching a sitcom starring JJ Walker in which he did a mock card trick around which I've been trying to create a magical presentation for years and years. Perhaps I'll begin work on that again now that you've reminded me of it.

Paul
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Dy-no-mite!

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Sherman,

THAT'S the guy!

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Creating Working Effects... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL