The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do they call it that? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-14 12:23, Firedice27 wrote:
I once had a lady at a carnival tell me that it was "shameful" that I had forsaken my soul so easily. I was like, "Lady! Relax! It's a frigging card trick!"

Oh, well.

I wonder if it was the same woman I ran into on a bus once? I was doing a few things for people and this lady asked me where I got that stuff. I admitted there was a place in New York where I went to buy tricks and she said;

"Interesting. There's a place in New York where you can sell your soul?"

(Well, probably. But not Tannen's!)

I replied; "If I were going to sell my soul, don't you think I'd ask for more than the ability to do card tricks?"

Quote:
On 2004-07-15 12:33, cpatchett wrote:
There is magic (illusions) and then there is magik (Wicca/Paganism/Witchcraft). Most people against magic associate the two as one and the same. The Bible does speak out against magik but not against magic. (Unless you're using it to deceive people or start your own religion!)

The problem is, the Bible speaks out against "magicians" in general and doesn't differenciate (sp) between frauds and entertainers. (To be fair, there may not have been that much of a difference back then!)

Quote:
On 2004-07-16 23:23, Peter Marucci wrote:
Frank Starsini writes: "Lots of ultra-religious will turn away or RUN if they see a deck of cards."

Lots of non-religious people will run is they see a deck of cards, too -- if they're smart! LOL!

"Do you like card tricks?" He asked.
I said no. He did five.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do TTs care whether used for bizarre or gospel magic?

Do the silk handkerchiefs know the message of a routine?

Where is the evil in a Ghost count?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Another problem is that, to the fundies, any display of magic is controlling nature, which is God's forte.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Flipping a light switch, making a room full of light thanks to a hi-tech glass bulb and wires in the walls is less controlling of nature? Or the automobile? Or Pasteurization? Or .... even the internet. Imagine being able to know what someone on the other side of the planet wants to tell you in just a few clicks and a couple of seconds. I'm impressed with the extent of our ability to create our functional enviromnent.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-07-24 11:03, mandrake01 wrote:
"Do you like card tricks?" He asked.
I said no. He did five.

The actual quote is:

"Do you like card tricks?"

"No, I hate card tricks," I answered.

"Well, I'll just show you this one."

He showed me three.

--Somerset Maugham, "Mr. Know-All"

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Years ago a friend and mentor of mine, Wm. H. Brewe, was doing a public show and an old woman came to him afterward, wagging a finger and scowling.

"You serve the Devil!" she declared.

Bill, straightening with a look of indignance, responded,
"Madame, how can I possibly serve myself?!?"

Another observation:

It's amazing how some people will not let their children read Harry Potter novels, yet if you peer at the nursery bookshelves, there are the volumes of FAIRY TALES.

No wizards, witches, fairies, gnomes, magickal atrifacts or djinns there...ahem!

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-28 09:45, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Flipping a light switch, making a room full of light thanks to a hi-tech glass bulb and wires in the walls is less controlling of nature? Or the automobile? Or Pasteurization? Or .... even the internet. Imagine being able to know what someone on the other side of the planet wants to tell you in just a few clicks and a couple of seconds. I'm impressed with the extent of our ability to create our functional enviromnent.

I never said they were consistent in their arguments! Smile

Seriously, perhaps I should have said; "supernatural control." Electricity, computers, et al are technological manifistations and not part of the argument. Magic, by its nature, pretends to present a supernatural control over nature. And that, for some weird reason, pushes their button.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Does ANYONE claim to understand the natural forces? Can anyone summon and control any of the natural forces?

IMHO we just take them for granted... and pehaps they are being patient with us... for now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Why do they call it that? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL