The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Brand new cards too slidy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
Have you ever got the sensation that the brand new cards are just TOO MUCH slidy and impossible to handle? I use bikes only until now, and I always have this sensation until the deck gets a little bit worn.

Is this sensation common or it's just me? Just for curiosity: could it depend by brand?

Thanks.

Metius
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I prefer a one-day old deck. To make it less slippery try this technique I saw from Marlo's video: individually rub both sides of each card a couple of times on your close-up mat. It makes the deck feel like it is already a day old.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
RazzleDazzle
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
107 Posts

Profile of RazzleDazzle
I agree that the brand new out of the pack cards are more slippery and shiny than they were.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I think breaking in a new deck is just part of the fun of card magic. I agree with Rannie that after a good day of handling, the cards are just about perfect.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Yes, I don't like riffle stacking a new deck. If I bend the corners up they put a straight bend in them. I like to wear the deck in a bit, but for magic I am not that bothered
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Stimuli
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Stimuli
You ever try to pressure fan a brand new deck of Tally's straight out of the box? Ha, good luck!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Break 'em in. Just like when you buy a new car, you gotta break 'em in. A baseball glove, lots of things. JUST THINK. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
Slightly used decks that are properly broken in feel really good.

The only ones I've found that feel really good out of the box are squeezers. The cambric finish gives a nice smooth glide without being as slippery as the linoid or air cushion finish, and they aren't quite as thick as Tally Ho's, so they have just the right amount of give.

Anyone else found that if a deck gets left on your dashboard or in your pocket after it's been opened but before it's been broken in that it's impossible to break in properly?

Dave
dazbaz
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dazbaz
I agree that brand new cards are slippery and can either help or hinder sleights performed.

I usually do several Faro and waterfall riffle shuffles before using the deck in public.
slydini9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of slydini9
You are right! Brand new cards are just too slippy. I put them in a bag containing cigarette ash and shake up the bag for about 30 seconds, and hey presto! That does the trick.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
To me they're like bass strings. You gotta play with 'em for two years before they feel right...err, I mean GUITAR strings. Play with them for a day. Or like a new harmonica. Gotta wear that in too. But don't soak your cards in bourbon.
tjo'
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
On 2004-07-19 18:52, Slydini9 wrote:
I put them in a bag containing cigarette ash and shake up the bag for about thirty seconds, and hey presto!

Yuck.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
If it's too much of an issue, you could always switch to a plastic coated card which slides less. (I use Imperial brand). Or you could drop them a few times on the floor. That should do the trick.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
If you are breaking in a new deck , you might as well farro train them while they are fresh.

Cheers!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I never use a new deck for actual perfomances,i have to break it in but as has already been said aftera day they are almost perfect.
sc_wizard29
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of sc_wizard29
Yeah, the oil from your skin needs to penetrate the cards to make them less slidy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Brand new cards too slidy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL