The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any fans of "V" the mini series? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Well I've been watching and rewatching "V" the original mini series and "V" - The Final Battle over the past few weeks on DVD.

Also preordered the TV series on DVD which will be released on 7/27 and there is a new mini series Second Generation due later this year.

Do you think after all this time it can still be as great as the original mini series?

For the 80's the ideas were pretty original but may seem tame and mundane today.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
The original was cheesey and scientifically inept, but I loved it. Not sure the "Second Generation" will work, unless it's significantly "reinvented". I think it was the allegory of the original that made it work - beating back an invasion against the odds - you tend to lose that premise in any kind of sequel.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Well they really screwed up the re-do of Battlestar Gallactica...Cylon's as Bimbos? geesh. Wasn't that great a show to begin with though...something creepy about having the 'humans' just 'running away' from the conflict.

As to 'V'...technically it should be better....is Mark Singer in the new one? I'd heard things about him from some folks in the biz that he was not a nice person...then when we met him last year the opposite was true...just a great guy...so I hope he's back in some role.

Hope you guys got to see "Stargate Atlantis"...really a good effort!

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I actually wrote a Sci-Fi short story in the late '70's about a planet whose sun is going supernova and the inhabiatants are reptilian. They come to Earth and use plastic surgery to look human but are found out. I got a bunch of rejection slips for that one, I think Analog Magazine said "The theme is a bit too familiar for our needs." When "V" came out, I was sure someone had stolen my story, as most teens'd feel. Of course, that was not the case (at least I hope not). Smile But I remember it took me a while to actually want to watch "V" again. Y'know, I never did sell any of my stories... closest I came was - I think it was Isaac Asimov's magazine or Galaxy - when the editor asked me for a re-write. But it was a fun time anyway. I mean, all my stories were like 3 pages long and pretty bad knock offs of Del Rey & Pohl & Williamson. They all had Twilight Zone-y twist endings. Ah, V...
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
True but it is cheese at its best. I remember how much the face thing spooked me when I was younger

There have been rumors about Marc and Faye Grant already being on board however, the only person Ken Johnson (of course he is back at the helm) has confirmed so far is Jane Badler (Diana), both Marc and Faye Grant have been approached about the new series but neither has responded.

Since the original represented the Nazi's I'm wondering if the new one will be based on the current conflicts and wars?
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
7/15/04 NBC nixed the script for the 3 hour Second Generation as it was not "new" enough. Ken won't stop his quest to get the new series on the air and an on line petition was started to get "V" back.
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
I really used to fancy that woman who used to swallow live hamsters!!!

The second generation sounds a bit tacky,it will probably star lots of handsome,scantily clad teens.Oh dear!
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Kilgourpower,

Re: "I really used to fancy that woman who used to swallow live hamsters!!! "

I just came into this topic to type the exact same thing!

Good man!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any fans of "V" the mini series? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL