The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Boomerang Hat Effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bokken
View Profile
New user
Ontario - Canada
22 Posts

Profile of Bokken
I was just wondering if anyone has every heard of, or has seen an effect where a hat can be thrown out, and boomerang back to the magician? Is there a throwing technique that can be used to accomplish this with a bowler type of hat for example? I realize it couldn't be thrown level and have it come back, but I'm thinking in terms of throwing it up over the heads of the audience at such an angle that causes it to return...

Dave
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I saw Lance Burton do this at the Monte Carlo. It went pretty far out over the heads of the audience and then it returned to his hands. He is the only one that I have seen perform this. I have wondered ever since if it was a gimmick or just technique.
Bokken
View Profile
New user
Ontario - Canada
22 Posts

Profile of Bokken
I've never seen it before myself, but I know that it is possible with a frisbee, so I wondered if anyone had developed a workable technique that uses a hat.

I'd love to see how it looks when Lance does it...
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
Mike Michaels used (or still uses) a similar effect in his robot act.
He makes an unpopped (right word?) chapeau claque float/twirl around his body and land in his hands.

Philipp
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jugglers can do pretty much what you describe. It takes a lot of practice and the RIGHT KIND OF HAT.

What Lance is doing is an old Circus stunt and the modus operandi is nothing I feel I have any right to discuss here as it is a trademark effect (now) with Lance.

I had it in my notes to do long before I saw or heard of Lance doing it, but when he started to use it I decided to not do so.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
p:m
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Profile of p:m
Is this available to purchase or no?
p:m
<BR>www.petermckinnon.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I'm not sure if it's on this site or not, but you might want to give it a try.

http://www.trickswithhats.org/

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What Lance does is NOT FOR SALE... but if you go to various Juggling websites you might find help there.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
There is a method for doing a boomerang hat effect in a book by a very famous magic writer whose last name begins with G.

You and I and anybody else may feel perfectly free to do this effect, which - as the author in question says - dates back many years (and he was writing in the 1950s).

It certainly doesn't belong to Lance Burton, or to anyone else.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
As far as I am concerned this old forgotten clown gag was brought back to life by the brilliant physical comedian George Carl.

The late Mr. Carl performed it to great effect on the Johnny Carson Show in the mid 1980s.

Amongst other places it appears in the 1977 book "150 Comedy Props" by Patrick Page (on page 31 under the title, "the Boomerang Hat").

Best regards,
Levent
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Pete is right it is a very old circus/Juggling stunt and has employed several different methods. It used to be a standard in Vaudeville! (sorry if it is mis-spelled)
Ricco
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Ricco
Will this Zombie method work with "Astrosphere"?
Dabek
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
142 Posts

Profile of Dabek
If you look back in some of Okito's books, then there is a method for doing the same thing with a plate over the audiences heads, using a gimmick.

I saw an amazing juggler do this as a finale to his act on the Cirque Du Soleil VARAKAI DVD. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!!
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
I saw an old old old magic book and it teaches you how include a boomerang plate effect in ur plate spinning routine.
it works like the boomerang card effect.
hope this will helps u.
- a f o i -
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I saw a performer do this recently in a variety show...think hummer card only think bigger...and hatier.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Yes you can buy a special hat that is weighted some how to make it boomerang back. I am not sre where you can get it from but look at juggling shops and circus shops.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ufo knows.... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Boomerang Hat Effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL