The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth - The Purse and the Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I just saw this routine and I love the way it looks. The only problem is I never perform sitting. I've seen ways to do 3 coin changes at a time using edge grips (Gary Kurtz), but that's too angly. I've also seen Curtis Kam's The Goblet, which I liked, but that eliminates the need for the glass and the coins are all in the hands at once and not one at a time in the hand.

Does anyone know a source that could teach me a way to duplicate a very clean coin change as in Roth's routine, but without lapping?
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
A gaffed coin will get you a clean look
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
That is very true. In fact, a flipper and an expanded shell would give me an even cleaner look. Thanks.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The cleanest no lap routine that I have seen was the one Geoff Latta did at the COINvention. No glass, just a squat little purse. The coins changed one at a time, and surgical cleanliness was a strong feature. I understand the routine will appear in his lecture notes and in the upcoming book, both of which have been missing for so long I expect to see their pictures on the backs of milk cartons.

Gary Kurtz's "Penny Lane" also is a standing glassless routine, but it doesn't use edge grip as far as I know. It's in the final year of Richard's Almanac, and probably easier to find in the bound edition. Is this the routine you mentioned?

Other than these, I can't think of any other routines that have been published. Most guys I know have worked out standing handlings one way or another, but they seldom see print. Consider all the "Wildcoin" routines in COINMAGIC and other sources. Most Wild coins can become Purse and Glass routines with a little fiddling.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Aside from the fuss of the trick...if you can say WHY you want to do the trick, and WHAT context / presentation / motivates the trick... will offer some help.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Jonathan....this is a Magician's forum...I don't think those sort of questions are very appropriate.

:lol:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just love that effect. I've never put any time into learning it but it's a joy to watch. The explanation is almost as much fun to watch as well.

The guy is a genius.

He kind of reminds me of me!

:)
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes, the explanation of all that stuff happening, from the move to (not) put coins in the purse, to all that traffic management on the table... quite entertaining.

Really, the trick is okay. The explanation is entertaining. Sort of 'look how clever I am if you only knew...' kind of thing.

So, aside from the ego issue, what do you like about the trick?

Like the purse? The glass? Something?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
Gary Kurtz's "Penny Lane" also is a standing
glassless routine, but it doesn't use edge grip as far as I know. It's in the final year of Richard's Almanac, and probably easier to find in the bound edition. Is this the routine you mentioned?

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to Gary Kurtz's Misty Like A Dream act from his Creating Magic video.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
One thing I got from the routine which I have found very useful is the recessed shot glass for your half dollar. It's a near perfect hiding place, spectators can be right on top of you and not notice it. I use this for coin work at bar situations often. I don't know if that is originally D. Roth's idea or not but its a good concealment illusion. Not to ditch, but to steal.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
John Carney takes advantage of the hiding aspect of a rocks glass in his routine with the glass and napkin from Carneycopia.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Kurtz' routine doesn't use 'the edge' but, it does require some lapping. Good routine though.

Thanks,
Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth - The Purse and the Glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL