The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Scotch & Soda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
So where does the name for this coin set come from?

Deerbourne
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The first routine I ever saw with it had the line -- "I'll bet you a drink that you can't tell me where the copper coin is -- my favorite drink is a Scotch and Soda." I don't know whether that is the original patter, but it makes a good story!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Blitzen
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Blitzen
I assume it was just a play on the colors of the coins. Such a play was used in 'vodca and OJ' which is the same trick but was much more natural during that brief period when Sac bucks were around.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Vodka and OJ" would have been called something else if Scotch and Soda had not already existed first under that name.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Yup, it's from the original patter, just like the invisible deck Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
We often hear of magicians who have built a small fortune by marketing one trick -- Duscheck's Wonderbar, Caveney's Coathangers -- for example.

There was a firefighter in Spring, TX (home of the Spring Animal Hospital -- so now you know where to send your worn out Rocky Raccoons) who paid for his house with Scotch and Soda. He would go over to the local magic shop and buy a dozen or so Scotch and Sodas. Then he would go to the local bar and do the trick. The spectator would not only lose the bet, he would want to know how to do it. So the man would sell him "his personal set" for $100. Then he would go to the next bar.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Scotch & Soda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL