The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone still listen to vinyl? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
I love the sound of vinyl - that "swish" as she walks towards you in those shiny black pants - leather's pretty good, too...
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
I´m still listen vinil... I have a collection withs some rare discs (more than 500). Some ofe them don´t have CD versions. What can I do? Still listen them.
Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
I do still listen to vinyls as the reevocate some wonderful memories. My father's 300 discs collection initiated me to the passion for music. When I was a child they were still the only source to get music besides the first audio cassettes. I began to love the blues by listening to Otis Redding and Ray Charles reading the covers and being sitted on the floor near the stereo.Then I can also remember the first time I bought my first vinyl by myself : the owner suggested me Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix...life has never been the same from that moment. Smile

Bye
Metius
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
Vinyl sound has a "warmth" to it that cannot be described it is so subtble. Somehow the sound isn't as £clinical" as that created by "1s" and "0s" .

The audio from a record recorded to CD is indistinguishable from the original, assuming that a switch is used to select between the two sources (so they use the same amplifier and speakers), and that the CD player is high quality.

The warmth is all the record noise, which is only at most 65 deciBels down from the peak signal level. And that's only the first time you play the record. It gets worse after that.

There is this myth that because CDs store periodically sampled values, that the reproduced waveform contains staircases when plotted. However, as long as the sampling rate is twice the highest frequency in the signal then the waveform can be reproduced exactly, well, exactly if you had perfect low-pass filters to smooth the waveform. Since low-pass filters aren’t perfect, they usually double the sample rate in the player using calculations (interpolation, but not linear interpolation) and then low-pass filter. The resulting noise in a good player is over 120 deciBels below the peak signal level. This is way beyond inaudible.

If you were to compare the waveform distortion produced by a record to that of a typical high quality digital recording system, the errors would be on the order of a thousand times bigger for the record!!!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone still listen to vinyl? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL