The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for off duty waitstaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Ok here is the scenario. You are working a resteraunt and a waitress comes in on her off day to eat. She asks that you come over to do some magic for her and her boyfriend. Of course you go but so does many of the on duty waitstaff. They stay at the table to watch the show. What would you do because you want to perform for the off duty waitress because she is now a customer but you do not want to see the mangers getting mad the the other staff is being disrupted due to you. You have no right to tell the staff to get back to work so what would you do? I will post later what I did.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
If I may make a suggestion...
First of all hopefully you and the wait staff are on friendly terms. So if you say to them that the manager will get mad if he/she see's you all standing around watching, I don't think they will get to upset. Secondly, they should know better and should not stay to long. You need a good relationshp with the wait staff. They will stick up for you later on trust me on this. If anythng, I would do one trick for them all to see and then tell them that the manager will get mad and that should break it up.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi,

Be polite and arrange to do some stuff for them when they are either off or on a break.

The off-duty waitress and her beau are customers.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Why is the staff coming to this table and not at other times? Granted, I have occasionally seen staff (and owners) pull up a chair at an off duty co-worker's table but that is their problem, not yours.

Let them be responsible for their actions, as long as the managment realizes it is not you who is causing them to concregate.

Cheers,

Tom
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
A simple, "Hey, guys, I have to get to the tables." should work.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2004-07-27 20:13, Tom Cutts wrote:
Why is the staff coming to this table and not at other times?

... as long as the managment realizes it is not you who is causing them to concregate.

I think that's exactly the point. His performance IS the reason they are there. And they feel comfortable doing it NOW because the "customer" is a co-worker. In this situation, I think the manager, at best, would see him as a distraction to the staff. He would certainly share the blame, in the manager's eyes.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-07-27 20:13, Tom Cutts wrote:
Why is the staff coming to this table and not at other times? Granted, I have occasionally seen staff (and owners) pull up a chair at an off duty co-worker's table but that is their problem, not yours.

Let them be responsible for their actions, as long as the managment realizes it is not you who is causing them to concregate.

Cheers,

Tom

I agree. You are now performing for a customer. If on duty staff are hanging around at the table, that's the managements problem.

Also, you aren't doing a 30 minute show at the table. She wants to see some magic. Show her soemthing simple and amazing and go to your next table.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
Do magic for the staff whenever it doesn't interfere with the flow of the restaurant. The waitstaff will take up for you when the time comes. You want the waitstaff on your side.

I'll do simple things for the waitstaff and management that always gets a reaction.
1. We have crayons for the kids. I'll put one up my nose for the waitstaff and management on occasion and just do it casually in passing. It's a social thing that's fun.
2. If I find a straw on the floor, I'll pick it up and do a flip-stick move while tossing the straw in the air. Reproduce the straw and throw it in the trash. Management sees me doing magic and cleaning at the same time. They like that.
bodiddly
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bodiddly
Hey, maybe you should start doing magic in McDonalds, then there won't be any waiters. hehehehe I'm just kidding.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Well here is what I did. Did a couple Quick Effects for the table then lefrt. When I realized all the witstaff was gone I went back and said hey I 've got one more really cool thing you might like to see. I performed card in wallet when no waitstaff was around. I was just wondering what all of you would do. Thanks for all your input!
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
I would do CinW for everyone if they have time to watch. Usually the waitstaff will go back to their own tables or to the bar or whatever else they were doing and start talking about how awesome you are. You can't beat the "buzz" that is created throughout the restaurant.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
What is CinW?
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 13:16, Dirko wrote:
What is CinW?

Card in Wallet possibly!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
When the staff starts to crowd around a table, start singing "Happy Birthday" to see who will join in. It draws the manager's attention to the table in a positive way and the staff has to disperse afterwards because they know they are in the manager's eye now. Smile

**Note: I've never done this but it could make the situation interesting. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
I think it can be important to perform for the waitstaff. They should be excited about your services, it can carry over to their tables. I always tell them to offer my services to their table, or to use me to cover a delay in the kitchen. It seems like a personal favor from them to their customers. It can mean a bigger tip and turn a negative (kitchen delay) into a postive.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
Sorry, CinW=Card in Wallet.

Hey, that's an idea. We need a magician's book of abbreviations.

TT=
ITR=
Romulo
View Profile
New user
Brazil
27 Posts

Profile of Romulo
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 17:23, Romulo wrote:
Here's the photo of the situation me and my brother experienced.

We simply did our tricks without giving that much importance to them.
http://www.magicoamador.com.br/forum/files/blitz28.jpg
Romulo
View Profile
New user
Brazil
27 Posts

Profile of Romulo
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 17:25, Romulo wrote:
Even in the photo above, I had two or three on duty staff in fron of the table.

You can see clearly on my brother's photo.
http://www.magicoamador.com.br/forum/fil......[/quote]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for off duty waitstaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL