The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which Ortiz book to get? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I've heard that a book of his contains a lot of good card effects, but I was wondering, which book is it?

I'm not sure how many books he has, so to specify I'm looking for the one with Magic, not Gambling, so I think it's probably not CardShark. Am I right?!

Thanks,
-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
All have magic and gambling..all are good.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

If you do a search, you will find an almost identical post in the book review section (an other posts about Ortiz's books).

All of Ortiz's books contain about half gambling routines and half magic routines (but they are cards only).

Honestly they all contain killer material, as I have all of his books and lecture notes.

Since "CardShark" (his 2nd book) is out of print, I suggest you start with "At The Card Table" (his 1st published book) then move on to "Scams & Fantasies" (his last published book).

But even if CardSark is out of print he has a video trilogy on this book that just came out in DVD, so you can still learn many effects from it.

If you can get your hands on "Strong Magic" (also out of print) DO IT, as it is AWESOME!!!

I hope this helps!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
"Strong Magic" is an absolute must for anyone who takes this seriously, and "Scams and Fantasies" is full of great gambling routines. There's one called Shark Attack, and after learning this you'll be feared at the card table. That is, if they're even willing to sit down with you!

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Thanks for the replies, guys. Are the books better than the DVDs, or do you recommend I get some of the DVDs too or instead of the books?

-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
You will get a lot more bang for your bucks with the books.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
154 Posts

Profile of pnielan
In my opinion, Cardshark is the best. Many great routines. New takes on classic plots like Card to Wallet or Torn and Restored. Great use of other modern sleights by Close and Carney.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Whichever book you get I recommend you get two copies. You will put a lot of wear and tear on Ortiz' books.

Randy
Cardic
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
129 Posts

Profile of Cardic
Cardshark - Scams n Fantasies... and everyother book theyre all great
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Niko,

I think your choice will be limited to 'At the Card Table' and 'Gambling Scams and Phantasies'. All the others are currently out of print or costing a small fortune on ebay. Still, both of these fantastic books will keep you busy while the publisher ponders when to reissue Darwins other books, Strong Magic and Cardshark. Currently, I'm still studying 'At the Card Table' which I think is incredible; difficult but full of creative ideas for magic and especially gambling routines which I love anyway. I bought Gambling Scams and Phantasies early just in case that went out of print too!!

Regards,

Paul H
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which Ortiz book to get? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL