The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Star Warp... Why a bill? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I love the effect "Star Warp," but I also like my magic to make sense. Can anyone tell me patter they use to make the use of a dollar bill with the card make sense. If I can get past that, I will be performing it regularly. Thanks
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
I usually use a gambling theme. I say that there is a certain connection between cards and money for me. Let's see if we can lock these two worlds together and try something strange. That usually gets people very intrigued.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Why a bill? Well, why two cards?

Just do it, and over time this part will take care of itself.

You won't regret it, either.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
You don't have to rip the bills up like in card warp do you ???
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
No, that's not part of the method for the effect. But you can, if you want to lead into a restoration effect later.

Using a playing card and a bill is a Bob McAllister idea. Before McAllister put his idea in print, "Star Warp" by Howard Schwarzman appeared in Apocalypse. McAllister, seeing his idea was out, contributed his version to Richard's Almanac. Also check out Michael Close's excellent "Dr. Strangetrick" in his Workers series.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I like the gambling idea. Thanks for the advice.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Bruce Cervon's handling, the preferred one, is in "Ultra Cervon". He calls it Warped II. It is superb, the best of the many "takes" on this effect, IMO...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Paul,

Bruce's work is certainly fantastic. Of course, you haven't seen my "ending". Which is one of Roy Walton's favorites. Ask me the next time our paths cross.

Regards,

Paul Green
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
The gambling idea is great, everybody loves a shot at a cheap buck, just as long as ya don't lose your own money Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Here's Mine:

Frankly I start by asking for a bill from someone, without any specific reason given. I offer to provide something from my wallet, as well. A playing card, but what did they expect?

"Have you ever seen David Copperfield live? You know, he's the guy who takes the prettiest girl in the audience up on stage, puts her in a box, and cuts her in half--that sort of thing. Well, I'm going to do that right here, for you. (Glance meanacingly about the table) Don't worry, tonight this card will take the place of the pretty girl (it's a queen) and I'll fold her so she has an inside and an outside, just like us. The outside's where the face and the clothing are,and the young lady's insides look like this. The ten dollar bill from our new corporate sponsor--I'm sorry,your name, sir--Bob, does two things. First of all, it takes the place of the expensive box they use on stage, and secondly, it makes sure Bob watches until the end, because I've got his money....."

You get the idea. I end up doing something even Copperfield won't do, not even at Las Vegas prices. The girl does not disappear, she turns inside out.

The bit where I stop and get the lender's name is intentional. It covers "the moment" if you know what I mean. The whole sell seems to draw them in, and makes sense of the bill.

The bill is also useful at the end, in case they ask me if I can restore the card. I tell them I could, but I'd rather save that for the bill. I quickly do the audible bill tear from Downs' Art of Magic. Just one tear, and a quick restore. The fast effect is surprising, and provides a release and applause cue for the warp, which otherwise ends on a softer, suspenseful note.

No commercial hype, this appears no where else but here. It has served me well, and I hope it's useful to someone.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Very good ideas! I like the "mini david Copperfield trick" idea! Thanks again!
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Of course, Stan, these ideas are good to maybe to jumpstart your imagination, but I daresay you wouldn't want to actually *use* another person's presentation.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks for reminding me of a powerful effect.

I need to look back at things I have not brought out in awhile.

Back to basics, or back to the future of magic.

What is old is new again.....

You are all appreciated by,

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
The gambling idea sounds good. I have also said something like "When you take a card and a bill and put them together strange things can happen"
Josh
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
129 Posts

Profile of Basil
The presentation that I'm currently working on is about how money can change people. I haven't scripted it yet, because I'm still looking at different methods. I really like Bruce Cervon's version, too.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Old thread, good stuff.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Star Warp... Why a bill? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL