The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Obscene spectators? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
All the above posts are correct, and all are varied. This is because; as in the real world, spectator interaction is equally varied. You have spectators that are simply playing (unoffensively). They are simply enjoying the moment, which is perfectly fine. You have others that heckle; that won't shut up. They will ruin it for you and your audience. I've had spectators openly thank me for shutting certain people up because he was ruining it for them. I've had spectators that I've had no choice but to let them have it. It's not like a spectator says one thing and the magician attacks them. That wouldn't be good showmanship. But you have to be on your guard for those times when it's more than kidding or your whole show is getting ruined. That's not fair to you or your audience and must be halted. Audience control is key (obviously) with this artform. Everyone can get into deep theories or structured methologies on dealing with the unusual spectators, but in the real world it's as uncertain as each person or group you approach. Everyone is different and each performance is a new adventure. I say be prepared for the worst. All others are simple to deal with (ignoring them or letting them have their moment is dealing with them) if their intent isn't hostile or verbally uncomfortable to you or the others. but when that time comes that you have someone that's going to ruin, expose, or hinder your performance, intentionally (and there are those who will try to), they must be stopped or you might as well turn and walk away, not performing to any of them. It's just my experience in dealing with the thousands of spectators that I've dealed with in my years of performing close-up magic.

This issue could be regional as well. We have to keep in mind that we magicians here live all around the world. What works for one of us may not work for another due to differences in cultures. I mean I perform in Texas and maybe spectators down here are different in their demeanor than those you others perform to.

Margarette, in response to your response; Do you have to deal with jealous girls, or are girls just not that way to female magicians?

Magically, Jack Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Jack,

Actually, I have yet to run into a jealous girlfriend either. Most of the comments I get from women is how I manage the straitjacket escape in those shoes. Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Hi Margarette, I'm curious as to what kind of shoes you wear while doing your jacket escape?

Smile

Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
The shoes... I knew I probably should have included a description of the shoes in my other post.

When I was putting together my performance attire, the only shop in town that I knew would carry the stuff I needed was a store that catered to the heavy metal, biker, and fetish type people... lots of leather and stuff in the store.

To go along with the outfit I had put together, I needed some appropriate shoes... stiletto heels were out of the question.

I saw a pair of shoes and tried them on... they fit.

I asked the owner of the store about the feasibility of wearing these shoes with what I was planning on doing with them. His comments to me were "I have a lot of strippers come in and buy these shoes, and they love them for how easy they are to wear and work."

The shoes are leather with metal studded straps around the ankles, and about four and a half inch heels. For anyone who knows the term, they are basically CFM shoes. If you don’t know what the term is, please do not ask.

So, like I said, I usually get comments on how I’m able to perform the straitjacket escape in those shoes. They are easy to walk in, just a bit difficult when I have to manage stairs. So, now you know about the shoes!

:bigdance:

Margarette
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanx for the explanation, maybe a pair of CFM's would spice up my jacket escape Smile

Thank you Margarette Smile

Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Hey, if you get a pair of those shoes to spice up your sj...I will travel anywhere you are performing to see that!!! Smile

Margarette
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I think that puts a whole new spin on your ranting post of a few weeks ago Margarette. Smile Smile Smile

Or perhaps I'm just sick that way.

But Ichazod in the CFM's. I'm sure I'm sick now. Smile Smile Smile
Yakworld.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Smile
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
Margarette,

I once saw a girl do a cool card trick on a video wearing high heals. A signed card ended up folded in her shoe. Are you familiar with it?

Smile
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Boy, there are a lot of shoe fetishists in here, aren't there?

Getting back to the original topic for a moment, when faced by a heckler I like the question: "Sorry, what did you say?" (asked as though you genuinely didn't hear it) This is usually followed by silence and/or tittering.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Jack I believe the girl in question is Tina Lennert, Margarette your responses & thought into them are excellent. In reading the initial post for this thread my first thought would be to analyze the group quickly if they seem to be having a good time then do a quick shuttle pass add a little banter about what it would be worth to see it happen, then say oh what the heck I love a challenge then do it.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I do think "control" is the key word. I tend to be good-natured about "most" things. I just smile and nod or shake my head. It's my show and I'm hopefully above the comments and hopefully the audience feels that way too. Still, I've had a few interesting words for people from time to time. So much has depended on the venue. If you have a classy act, I think this is a good way to do things. If you have a more blue style however, I guess you can get away with just about anything.

A little story:
I was doing a small stage show with a couple of friends at Comic Convention. Well, the crowd was less than savoury and you can imagine we had several interesting comments thrown. Being on stage, we could ignore most, but as my friend was just unlinking a couple rings in this Linking Ring act, one of the unsavouries said "hey man, that's my c*ck ring. I was unfamiliar with this fascinating term, but nevertheless I understood the meaning. My friend looked dazed for a moment, but then stopped his act for a moment, removed a finger ring from his left hand and said "no sir, this is YOUR c*ck ring".

We were all quite proud of the boy, and man did it get a laugh.
Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
hehehehehehe
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Lisa Menna does a mean card to shoe which is very deceptive and fried me when I first saw it. I think it is featured on the NYMS tape.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Obscene spectators? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL