The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope magic not close up magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I was wondering because of the location of this forum in the Café. Should rope work be done at a distance?
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
I think it depends on the trick.
There are some things that the closer they get the more amazed they get. Most rope stuff is reasonably angle-proof - it's not too hard to hide a knot or a fold of rope in your hand. Things like Professors Nightmare, or a do-as-I-do version of G.W.Hunters puzzle knot are great!

The only things I would be wary of doing too close would be grabbable gimmicked props. I've proudly held up my linked ropes only to have the gimmick come apart - but you can look just as stupid in front of a couple of people as in front of a hundred doing that! (It was, I think over a hundred - serves me right, I've found another way to do that one!)

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bill's right; it depends on the trick.
I've done the Professor's Nightmare in my table-hopping routine for the past 10-plus years -- more than 6,000 times!
The great thing about rope tricks is that they can play close-up OR stage, given the right handling.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I use them in my close-up as well as my
stage work.

Both places IMHO it is important to have rope that looks good. This is especially important in close up situation.

I buy it in spools, so I have plenty on hand.

At times I have used colored ropes purchased at hardware stores (they had a great red and white thick rope perfect for X-mas shows) or from dealers like Bob Klamm (Klamm Magic) who sells great soft rope in many colors.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
I agree with everyone when they say: It all depends on the trick. I think you could do The Professor's Nightmare close-up with smaller ropes and on stage with bigger ropes.

But there are some tricks I don't think are meant for close-up, such as Pavel's walking knot. I pretty much think most tricks can be done very well in both close-up and stage.
Best Regards,

Cole Smile
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
I do A selection of moves that include a lot of moves from the Tabary routine these are really a stage presentation but you would be surprised how with a bit of adaption they can work close up

Stephen
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
I do lots of rope magic, and all of it is done close up. The beauty of rope is that it packs small and plays big. So, I could do the routine for a large group and it would still play great.

The only reason that I can think that you would have to be careful doing rope magic closeup is if you were using magnets/snaps and were afraid that the joins would show [eg, Pavel's Travelling Knot] OR if angles were a problem [eg, concealing a knot over your shoulder as per one point of the Tabary routine]. However, I think as Stephen mentions, with very little alterations, any rope routine can be done closeup.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Hmm. I know Daryl himself performs Jumping Knot of Pakistan as a table-hopping routine but, although I've been performing it for many, many years, I don't think I'd "hop" it. I do it very close when I perform it for older children, though. I suppose I think of it as 'parlour' rather than 'close up'.

Peter,
When performing PN for tables, don't you get what I call "fallout" - i.e. other tables as well as the one you're performing for seeing the trick? Surely, the problem with that is when you come to them - they've already seen the trick.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Epting
View Profile
New user
france
10 Posts

Profile of Epting
When you see the Daryl's videos "Expert Rope magic... made easy!" you find a lot of close up rope magic tricks. As a lot of card tricks, you can adapt this for stand up show... and conversely... often is just a question of material's size...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope magic not close up magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL