The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Soundman or Soundtech alternative! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
Instead of using a soundman or soundtech, you could wirelessly controll an ipod with this

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We......6921ZM/A

It's a lot cheeper and is probbably as good as using the other systems.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Embrace technology. As with any gadget, always have a backup. My ipod has locked up on occasion. The only way to fix it is to plug it into my computer (CPR for the digital set).

Kregg
POOF!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Besides the above-mentioned circumstance, the controller is IR rather than RF so it has to be line of sight. A Virtual Soundman unit or the Show Tech (or Mini Tech) are controlled by radio remotes so they don't have to be line of sight.

That allows me to put my Virtual Soundman behind my backdrop or off in the wings and not have to worry about whether it will get the commands from the remote.

I have nothing against an iPod or the remote, but it wouldn't do what I want it to.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
It can make a great start on a budget and if you are willing to work around the limitations it can be a way to go. I like the Laptop system outlined in another thread on the Café. You have to start somewhere, but you should always have your mind set on moving up. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome I believe is the definition of insanity. So stay sane and make your profits improve your show and your pocket book.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
It's more expensive to buy cheap and kludgy and then later on re-buy the good stuff than to just save up and buy the reliable gear to begin with.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Andy,
I must say, no matter the price of the equipment it will crap out. Last year a surge wiped out a $300,000. state of the art sound system (trade show).
Bands like Pink Floyd travel with five separate systems, two are used for the show and the other three are back ups.
Such is life.

Kregg
POOF!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I do this for a living, recently came off a national tour of a Broadway musical, and I can assure you that while shows do travel with a sufficient quantity of spares, it is the rare exception that travels with full backups. It just doesn't happen, it's not feasible, both in terms of space and money.

A surge is NOT equipment "crapping out", it's an outside factor damaging equipment that wasn't properly protected. I'm talking apples, and you're talking plastic action figures. An outside factor (including the lack of a good surge protection device) frying a system has nothing to do with the quality of the equipment in that system.

That flaw in your argument aside, yes, most equipment will eventually break. Better made (and, thus, more expensive) equipment will last a lot longer, and often tends to break in a more graceful and easily recoverable way.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2004-08-10 00:58, Andy Leviss wrote:
It's more expensive to buy cheap and kludgy and then later on re-buy the good stuff than to just save up and buy the reliable gear to begin with.

Of course it is more "expensive" this way in the long run...However that doesn't mean this stradegy doesn't have it's place for the growing performer on a tight budget with immediate musical needs...duh?
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I suppose that depends on whether you consider a system like this a perk or a necessity. I consider it the former, so to me, it makes more sense to do things the old-fashioned way while saving up for something that will hold up well. YMMV.
MYMagic
View Profile
New user
Florida
24 Posts

Profile of MYMagic
Quote:
On 2004-08-09 20:36, AlmostAmazingJames wrote:
Instead of using a soundman or soundtech, you could wirelessly controll an ipod with this

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We......6921ZM/A

It's a lot cheeper and is probbably as good as using the other systems.

Be careful as this in IR (infrared) NOT RADIO. If the sight line is broken by a curtain or prop or whatever it will NOT WORK. Use caution.
May your day be filled with MAGIC!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Soundman or Soundtech alternative! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL