The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Understanding children better (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Looking or any seminal books on understanding children better. How they think, effective ways to treat them, getting inside their hearts, etc etc.

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Silly Billy (David Kaye) has three booklets worthy of purchase on this topic. (Denny & Lee Sells them)

• How to Perform the Perfect Kid Show Trick
  • Kid Show Kliff Notes
  • Top 10 Problems Performing for Children
Dennis Michael
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Thanks, Den. Any child psychology books that hold respect in the field are also welcome.

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Well in that case, consider, Performing Magic for Children by Schenk & Sondermeyer. It is good on the psych but I wan't overly thrilled on their routines. (I also did not read them all)

It was translated from German to English I believe. I did enjoyed it, and learn from it. I need to go back and re-read it. It's been over 2 years since I read it.
Dennis Michael
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Later this year I am hoping to finish my book and I have a section on that.

I am writing a book on children's magic and there is a section called "Understanding your audience".
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have found the Jean Piaget's developmental stages quite useful. Its helps for me, as someone who messes with perception, to understand how children see the world.

http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/piaget/index.htm

Also, the work of Freud is useful as well although his pyschosexual stages are probably not quite as relevant.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I started 25 years ago with David Ginn material, and his subsequent works have been of consistent quality and have served to greatly increase my understanding of "how kids tick."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Its interesting to compare the works of magicians vs. the works of pyschologists. I find magicians tend to rely on bite sized pieces of info or simple hints and tips.

By reading the great developmental pyschologists, you learn much much more. Its just a matter of learning how to turn that information into magic....
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've never read any books on child phycology.

If you want to learn how I did it, just try having a few of your own, that worked for me. Especially when you have to keep them occupied and happy on a rainy day. It works best if you have more than one, that way you learn to deal with the fights etc.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
I've got two kids Clive and am still learning every day!

One day they'll pay for that nice retirement home for me.........

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I've already told mine that when I'm older even if I'm not incontinent I will be when I visit them, Revenge is sweet. I can hear the arguements now.

"Oh No! it's your turn to have Dad for christmas"

We're just waiting for the last 2 to to leave home so we can sell up and by a smaller place so they can't move back in.

AAAArgh still near 3 weeks before they're back at school. There's some very stressed out & broke parents about now.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Oh yes!

And the weather over here in the UK is not good for the school holidays!

Stu Di Doo
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Louise Bates Ames, Ph.D., has written a series of books that are excellent, called "Your Eight Year Old", "Your Nine Year Old" etc. Published by the Gesell Institute of Human Development. They are fun to read as a parent and/or performer for children as they describe in detail the psychology and typical patterns of each age. They are well worth checking out if you want to get a better understanding of children.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-08-19 04:55, Emazdad wrote:
I've never read any books on child phycology.

If you want to learn how I did it, just try having a few of your own, that worked for me. Especially when you have to keep them occupied and happy on a rainy day. It works best if you have more than one, that way you learn to deal with the fights etc.

Unfortunately, that type of experience, whilst great, is ancedotal and subjective and based on the personal experience of the parent. Whilst experience certainly makes you a better parent, I'm not sure it is as useful
in the broader context of developmental pyschology.

And of course, by pyschology, I am referring to REAL pyschology not that dodgy Opera/Dr Phil style pop pyschology that condenses raising and looking after children to a 30 minute show (with ad breaks)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A couple more relevant books might be:

- Chris Carey's "Find the Stuff That's You!" (part deals with emotionally impacting your audience, and many more thought provoking essays).

- David Fiscus' "Birthday Magician's Handbook" (part deals with understanding the difference in developmental levels / picking appropriate magic).

Both titles are available from Lee Jacobs Productions.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I read ALL the books and have HIGH ratings for all of them.

If you have a budget, I suggest getting:
- How to Perform the Perfect Kid Show Trick
- Kid Show Kliff Notes
- Top 10 Problems Performing for Children

They are very afforable and GOOD!

If your budget allows, get:
- Chris Carey's "Find the Stuff That's You!"

For the rest, save up and buy them. They are also good.

Of course, get Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment". It's great book for me, even as a children entertainer.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<Unfortunately, that type of experience, whilst great, is ancedotal and subjective and based on the personal experience of the parent. Whilst experience certainly makes you a better parent, I'm not sure it is as useful in the broader context of developmental pyschology.>>>

Oh yes it does Nicholas, by experiencing the problems/worries and joys of parenthood 24/7 you soon learn all about how kids think and act and react to certain situations, you learn what makes kids tick. you learn not only by what you do right but also by your mistakes, you learn all about reverse phycology, a major tool in dealing with kids. Once you've dealt with a toddler tantrum in the supermarket, a bunch of 5 year olds at a party are easy. you learn how the word NO is just as important as the word YES, and how important instilling a sense of discipline is.
You also learn how important tools simple things like quality time, and praise can be, By taking the time to talk to your kids you learn how to talk at their level and what they like and dislike, and what makes them wet themselves with laughter, a majorly useful tool when performing /talking to other kids. The other bonus is you get to go see all the great kids movies and cartoons that you'd look a bit nerdy going to see without a kid in tow.

If I had a choice between reading 2 books 1, by a child phycologist who has not had any kids of his/her own, and 2, A phycologist who has 2-3 kids of their own, which preferable are now out of there teens, it would be the 2nd one I'd read, because he would know what he was talking about.

What is unfortunate is that not all parents take the time, or effort to learn these simple tools. These are the ones who's kids we often talk about in the kid from hell discussions.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Not all the advice is good in the psycology books, but there are a few gems out there. My favorite is "So You Want to Raise a Boy" by W. Cleon Skousen. He goes through all of the stages of growth and explaines the psycology behind many of the common growth stages. It is an older book, published in 1962.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Gunther beat me to it, but child psychology references would help immensely (ecspecially with children in terrible situations (shelters, etc.). My studies in psychology has helped me immensley.

Also, listening to Bill Cosby aids...lol.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Understanding children better (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL