The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Involving the audience - finding a balance » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Wood
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Chris Wood
Hi Jon,

You must forgive me but I have not had the pleasure of seeing you perform yet. However, I really like the way you are concerned about putting your audience first.

You show a lot of respect to the whole concept of "entertaining" and a self depreciating trait seems to be that you are willing to share the spotlight with them, indeed you seem to aim to make them the focus of the show.

I suspect that the more you give respect and time for individuals to shine in an audience the more that audience warms to you and shows their appreciation. This is an approach that requires a lot of self confidence and one I applaud.

But my question is how do you balance making the audience the stars of the show and making them remember you above all else?

How do you regain the focus and help them to remember you were the centre of it all?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. I am sure there are many that would disagree with your perception of me. Lol

My respect for my audience starts from before I even start. I respect the fact that they may well be more interested in something else other than magic. Who am I to interrupt with some tricks? My philosophy is that I need to be more entertaining than what I am interrupting. Some people will just burst in on a group and start doing flashy productions or suchlike. I will wait for the right moment or if it is not forthcoming, politely interrupt with an opening that suggests to the people that what I have to offer is worth their time and attention.

It’s not so much making other people the stars, but more like making them feel part of the experience. I hate magicians who simply show people what they can do. Why should someone watch how clever the magician is? Where’s the memorable experience for that person? What I hope comes across when I work is a genuine interest in my audience.

When I work, I want to have a good time. I do this by connecting with the people I am entertaining rather than just going through the motions of the trick. People can tell if you are being genuine or not and they will respond appropriately. I ask questions to the people and I listen to what they say to each other. I use this information throughout the act. While some of the humorous lines and bits of business are rehearsed, a lot is done spur of the moment. When people realise that you are tailoring your performance to them, they feel special. They know that for the short time you are with them, you are taking an interest in them, rather than treating them as group number 17.

Another thing I do is make the odd comment that I know some people will get, while others won’t. For instance, as I put the cap back on the Sharpie, I say, “Let’s just recap here.” Some people get the joke and I acknowledge them. Occasionally the person to my left or right will get the joke and I will give the person an acknowledging tap on the shoulder or a quiet “Thank you.” so as not to interrupt the flow. By acknowledging individuals, it makes them feel special. I know some people think I am alienating the others who don’t get the jokes or gags but this is not the case. There is enough in it for them and they will probably get the next thing anyway.

By making the audience feel special, they remember you. They won’t remember the third phase of the Ambitious card but they will remember how they felt. That’s the most important thing. They can watch the greatest effects known to mankind but if it doesn’t give them a fulfilling experience, they won’t care. If you can present the greatest effects in a way that makes people feel special then you have hit the jackpot.

Oh yes, I also throw in my name a few times as well which helps!
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Chris Wood
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Chris Wood
Many thanks Jon for such a thoughtful repy,

All that you say confirms my opinion of your approach - it is one first and foremost of communication. ("connecting" as you put it) What you endeavour to communicate through dialogue is not only enjoyment and amazement but your own personality as well. However, even though others may take on roles within this experience there is a always the need for the role of the magician to be clearly defined as the one orchestrating the event. I'm not sure we've really got to the nub of how to establish that.

But certainly the more confident and at ease you are with being "in charge" this way the more you can play it down and give some leeway to others. I agree that audiences find this refreshing after being bombarded with carefully rehearsed routines that leave no room for deviation and could be performed whether they were present or not. As you rightly say, really prompting, listening and responding to their dialogue shows you respect them.

I especially value your tip of "I use this information throughout the act..." I'm guilty of overlooking that opportunity, so thanks for that, I'm certainly going to try it out.

Also I find audiences respond better to a genial air of confidence and experience as it makes them feel secure, encourages them to relax and most importantly, to trust you. Many people seem very nervous about helping or answering questions and I suspect they fear humiliation. A sad indictment on our current standards of entertainment generally.

I remember Tommy Wonder saying in one of his essays that he likes to sit down with his audience if possible now. His concept of a close up experience is that they are meeting him and getting a chance to have dialogue with him. The magic is almost a bonus.

Anyway, a good reply, I look forward to seeing you in action one of these days...
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Chris,

This is one of those topics that could take up dozens of pages and, for me at least, is far more fascinating and productive than discussing which double lift is best (no offense to double lifters).

Much of what I do seems to be common sense but magicians do sometimes tend to focus more on the method and the magic ahead of the people and the moment.

Its interesting that you say that the magician is the one orchestrating events. Sometimes, I will admit, I am not in controlof events. (Sharp intake of breath!) I can sk the simplest of questions, like "Who is the most trustworthy person at the table?" and for some reason, this sets off the table into jokes, comments and laughter as they point to eachother, take the Michael out of the lawyer, who then counters with his own remarks to the accountant etc. etc.

While I am aware that I have another 20 tables to entertain snd only 10 minutes to do it, I try to let the people enjoy themselves withou me saying, "EXCUSE ME! I only asked a simple question! Can we please come back to the trick" Nope. If my audience are enjoying themselves, I'll let them go ahead. I've even sat down at the table and watched these people behave like children. If they are having a fantastic time,laughing and joking, then why interrupt and spoil it by doing a trick?

I was once told that we are simply the catalysts for people to have a good time. I've always remembered that.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Jon,
That last statement is one of the most profound I have ever heard, and something we as magicians should never forget. Trust me, I won't forget that one. Ever.
Thanks for your sincere input and suggestions you have offered during your stay here. Your visit has been a pleasure to us ( I know I speak for many others here ).
Thanks again,
You rock. Don't stop Smile

Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Chris Wood
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Chris Wood
Yes indeed... very interesting that one...

I'm going to chew on that for a while, I'm not sure I fully agree as we naturally want to be the centre of attention during a performance.

However I'm not sure I disagree either as I can see the truth of our role being subserviant in many ways.

Uninvited table hopping is indeed a catalyst role, what you say makes sense in that context, but maybe in cabaret work it is less so. I usually perform where people are expecting to be entertained by me, not where it is a suprise to be approached...

However saying that, I'm not sure... I can see cross overs all over the place...

Many thanks Jon, I'm chewing, I'm chewing...
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Jon,

Thank you for that. I had done some table hopping in past and that little tidbit would have helped tremendously.

I've lately adopted my performances to be as magical but also as fun as possible. Smile Its a fun balance!
Logic Defied
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 03:56, Chris Wood wrote:

I'm going to chew on that for a while, I'm not sure I fully agree as we naturally want to be the centre of attention during a performance.

There is a differnec to the performer wanting to be the centre of attention and what he has to offer and what he can produce being the centre of attention.

Of course I want people to remember my name and talk about me once I have left the group, but while I am there, it is the effect I have on the group that I want to be of utmost importance.

Too many magicians have the "Look how clever I am" type of approach. They've learned all the skilfull showy moves and want as many people to see them as possible. That sort of thing is not for me.

Another tactic used by magicians is to get a table to shout and cheer on the count of three. I see this as an ego thing. Shouting and cheering is not the only indication of people having a good time. How important does it make the group you are with, if you want others to look at you and for you to appear better than you are? Nope, not for me. I prefer to give my 100% full attention to this group.

Like a professional marathon runner.... it pays in the long run.
Chris Wood
View Profile
New user
UK
48 Posts

Profile of Chris Wood
Hi Jon,

Yes I completely agree with you there, far too many magicians are out there giving unpleasant experiences to audiences. That's not where I'm coming from at all. In fact it's why I picked up on your obvious interest in involving audiences and allowing them to have a good time in the first place. It struck a chord with me.

What I was trying to get at was how you maintain the balance of letting audience members shine whilst ultimately shining brighter yourself.

At the end of the day you can analyse these things too much, I'm sure you could just be yourself, make sure people enjoy themselves as much as possible and hope you are doing something that makes them remember you but I like to leave as little to chance as possible. <grin> plus I just like a good discussion.

You've made some great points and given some brilliant advice - the marathon runner for example is an excellent point.

many thanks,
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Chris,

You hit the nail on the head. Be yourself and if people like you, you'll shine.
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Quote:
Much of what I do seems to be common sense but magicians do sometimes tend to focus more on the method and the magic ahead of the people and the moment.

Jon, you're offering some great insights. I think there would be more dialogue such as this if the content was as strong as what you are stimulating.

Too often when I read or hear magicians talk about some of this stuff I end up having to bite my tongue or try to let it go in one ear and out the other. Because I think to myself you can't be serious??.......

Thank you for sharing some of your time/personality/insights.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2004 entrée: Jon Allen » » Involving the audience - finding a balance » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL