The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-09-21 15:53, ScottLeavitt wrote:
Fyi #2: Lecture is sold out, but appears to be tickets left for his performance: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/cultural/magic/events.html

I'm bummed that I didn't sign up for this lecture sooner. I've known about it for a while, but I kept saying, "I'll get my ticket later". Guess I was too late! Arrgh.

Anyone know if he's going t obe doing any other lectures in the NY/NJ/PA/CT area?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Not sure, but there is a performance one night as well as a general "magic talk" -- can probably still attend both
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Juan Tamariz will be lecturing in Las Vegas on October 11th at Jeff McBride's WonderDome venue. This lecture is part of Fantasma's IBM Ring 257 lecture series. More details soon at http://www.ring257.com.

Date: Monday, October 11th
Time: 7:15 PM Sharp.
Youth (under 18) $10
Fantasma Ring #257 Members $15
Non-Members $25.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Joyalstack.com:
"As of September 20, eleven days after its release, Mnemonica is almost out-of-print"

WOW!!!
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 14:25, JimMaloney wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-09-19 23:51, cardguy wrote:
What do you guys think of Juans's rapid memorization techniques? Today I went through the auditory technique, which is harder than it first seemed. I had to go through about 5 takes of recording in order to get the "songs" right. It's not easy to switch tones all those times and keep your concentration because you sound so silly. Anyway, I got through it and started the visual technique for the first 12 cards. I really like this part because if you spend enough time thinking about how you will design the cards then you will easily remember them.

Did anyone go through the whole system yet? How was the results?

Though I haven't gone through all of them yet (I'll be recording the song tonight), I think the visual method is the strongest individual technique, at least for me. Each person is different. I do think that using all the techniques (or at least the first three) is important, as you are employing multiple senses to put the information into your memory. This forces your brain to form more neural patterns, which will make recall easier (and the memory more permanent).

And yes, it would be fun to hear all the tapes. You're not getting mine, though!

-Jim

Jim,

I agree that so far the visual method is the strongest. The recorded song doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I am taking it very slow with the drawings. With some cards it took me 10-15 minutes to think of a suitable design. It's not easy, especially for the face cards. However, the concentration that is involved in thinking of a good design really burns that image in your mind.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
magiclarsen
View Profile
New user
Orlando
29 Posts

Profile of magiclarsen
I learned the stack in about 3 days. and it has been worth every minute I have put into it. I used "row row row your boat" singing it a bunch of times each one in a different way, while doing all my drawings. the effect with the red backed card is great. I showed my boss the effect the other day (i work in a magic shop so he is a magician as well) and it flew right by him. I absolutely love these effects!
Gerben
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
36 Posts

Profile of Gerben
For me, the recorded 'song' helped a lot. I didn't really sing it though, I just named every card in another voice.

I kept playing it while I was drawing the numbers on the cards. Because of that, I kept repeating the entire sequence inside my head (at least the part I had already drawn).

After spending about 3 hours on trying to remember the stack, I have now almost completely memorized it. Sometimes I miss one, so I will have to practice for some more hours before I really master it. However, I think his techniques worked quite well.
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
I saw he doing this effect on television - it's perfect...

Quote:
On 2004-09-20 12:53, magicjosh2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 02:35, Kjellstrom wrote:
I like the powerful Three Crown Jewels on page 91.
Effect:
The magician takes out a red-backed card and, without showing its face, puts it on the table. Meanwhile, he holds a blue backed deck. He adjusts the position of the red backed card, using one of the blue backed cards to push it and move it around "in order not to touch it". A spectator names a card. The magician turns over the red backed card, without touching it with his hands, to reveal it is the card named.

haha...this clever effect must fool the pants of the spectators...

WOW!!! This effect alone sounds worth the price of the book.

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
Not wanting to upset anyone but I'm not keen on his book. As an average magician wanting to improve, this book needs some serious work. Now I know that is not to say the book isn't good but it is for those with a LOT of time on their hands. I don't know anyone who managed to memorize the deck in an afternoon.
Tamariz is fantastic and has developed such a strong character but too strong for me develop a rappor when I watch him perform, perhaps this reflects what I think of the book
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you like Mnemonica and read spanish check this forum out:

http://www.damainquieta.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17

Lot of interesting posts.

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
This book is great - and so are Simon Aronson's books on memorised deck material. Magic isn't sports, and neither stack is 'better' than another - it's all subjective. Use the one that works for you and your performing circumstances or tastes.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Andrew - We don't need any actually sensible posts on this forum. Please refrain from posting common sense.

Randy

PS "Any scholar in his field studies ALL the available information on his subject. If you are going to use a memorized deck then get all the info you can on the subject. Mnemonica is a great book."
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
I do so hope maviaux is trying to be a bit comical, I do hope so as the coment made by Andrew is not only valid but comes from someone who can floor the 99% of magicians on this forum with his card skills, actually perhaps not 99% but 99.9%.

Do you need all the info that you can when you have memorized a deck, yes some more effects but you don't actually need a book that tells you his stack or how to memorise it if you already have a memorised deck that you use. That would just be plain stupid and a real waste of time.
An awful lot of people are raving about Tamariz's book and I think it is because it has not been in print in English before therefore it was a really sought after item.
I have the book, don't rate it as most do.

I don't have strong magic by Ortiz and this is like gold dust until recently Kaufmann is to reprint it. I've ordered it, will I still rave about it after I have read it. I hope so.
I don't think mnemonica is a classic as many of you do.
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
When I was first memorizing the Aronson stack, I used the method that Simon describes...the peg-word system. It fell into disuse over the years, but when I went to learn the Mnemonica stack (using Juan's techniques), I was amazed to discover how much of Simon's stack was still burned into my memory.

I think Juan's multi-faceted approach does allow one to memorize the stack much faster, and I honestly believe an afternoon of intense work would nail down a large percentage of the stack for just about anyone.

Regarding the "Mnemonica Song": I found the best way to approach this (for me) was to literally script it out line by line. This also helped reinforce the stack by the simple act of writing it all out.

For the music, I used a number of children's songs, which seem to be scientifically designed to gnaw their way into the brain cells, never to be dislodged. Anyone who has ever taken a long car ride with kids singing camp songs will know *exactly* what I'm talking about. Smile

I know eventually I'll wind up designing my own stack, but for right now, the Mnemonica stack delivers much of what I need.

And the book is a fun read, anyway. Juan's utter joy just leaps out at the reader from every page. And the vast bibliography in the back of the book has made me scurry through my library for undiscovered gems....

Jeremy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL