The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Obscure/Abstract Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Do any of you know of really abstract music? I'm talking mostly instrumental/acapella(sp?) music with a really distinct sound.

I know of two songs like this. The one is "M-Balla-Balla" that I just heard for the first time this morning. You can listen to it here: M-Balla-Balla

The other is "The Box" it's a 30 minute song that doesn't stop once, but it incorporates lots of different styles. I don't have a place where you can download it because I heard it so long ago.

So, what about you all? What are some of your favorite abstract songs?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Ma-Nah-Ma-Nah" (I have it on an old 45)
Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Does "ambient electronica" and other electronic music count? That's pretty abstract, and I love that stuff. For example, Jean Michel Jarre's "Equinoxe" album, especially "Equinoxe Part 1". Also Tangerine Dream, like "Astral Voyager" and "Rubycon". Tons of much newer stuff too, but less likely anyone has heard of that.
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Ozric Tenticles. Super hippie pychadelic ambiance.
Some of the slower tracks are pure heaven.
Site is being redone at the mo'
http://www.ozrics.com/

some clips ect.
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~ozric/

Yea! Tangerine dream, Tomita, Vangellis
Weird stuff. Steve Vai, Frank Zappa, Gong Smile "teapot taxis" hahaha!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The German group Kraftwerk has a couple of excellent albums. "Radioactivity" and "La Man Machine". Highly synthesized music, back to the days of the Moog Synthesizer (late 60,s early 70,s). Early "Techno".
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Darn right! Kraftwerk rules! Sorry, I just had to get that out of the way. Check out the Blue Man Grup, they invent their own instruments. David Axelrod's jazz broke new ground on the late 60's. Clara Rockmore and Lydia Kavina both play the Theremin a virtuoso level. Wendy/Walter Carlos has great synthesizer works, including the original soundtrack to "A Clockwork Orange". Aphex Twin does some really out there techno/ambient music, check out the collection of ambient works albums. The most abstract performer I konw of is Boyd Rice/ NON, he was the guy who released an album with multiple holes drilled into it so it could be played off-center on the turntable. Sorry so long winded, It's not very often the type of music I listen to gets brought up.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Hocus Pocus" by Focus

"Gimme Dat Ding" by the Pipkins

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Where I'm from Larry Norman seems pretty obscure.
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Midnight Syndicate bears mentioning. We have their OK to use their work as ambient sound in our (huge!) haunted attraction, as it is a perfect fit.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
L.O.: You working with the "The Haunt" indoor bunch in Michigan??

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Doug,
I was intentionally vague about the haunt because I didn't want to give the appearance of plugging. Since you asked, though, I am with Phobia House (tm) in Kalamazoo, serving on the management team behind the scenes, and as your "whip-cracking, get moving and face your fears" tour guide during performances.
This morning, my fingernails are sporting remnants of pink and green 3-D paint.
This afternoon, our certified stuntman is teaching me a couple of high falls just for fun. Keeps me young.
Is this "The Haunt" you're thinking of?
Let's take any further discussion to PM, so as not to disrupt the thread too much.
Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Obscure/Abstract Music (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL