The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Who But A Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Who But A Magician?

Who but a magician loses things (like Aces) just so he can find them?

Who but a magician would have you “examine” a #2 pencil to make sure it “is” a pencil? Examine a coin to make sure it “is” a coin, and a card so you can tell it “is” a card?

Who but a magician needs to show his hands empty four times, telling you they are empty, and then asks you “if you are sure” they are empty? "Really sure?"

Who but a magician needs to tell you everything he isn’t doing?

Who but a magician wants you to look closely at his “invisible” moves?

Who but a magician promises steadfastly never to make anyone “uncomfortable,” then proceeds to make fun of any volunteer brave enough to try to help by participating?

Who but a magician can present to you “Ancient Chinese Miracles” made of highly polished plastic by old world craftsmen?

Who but a magician would present something that is “self-working,” then expect you to pay him to watch it work?

Who but a magician would ask you if “I put three balls in my hand, how many balls are in my hand?” Then, exclaim, “You are wrong!”

Who but a magician would sing the praises of “how fun it is to be fooled.” Yet, just can’t stand it when he is fooled himself?

Who but a magician would show everybody how great their second deal looks, then wonder why he can’t fool anybody with it?

Who but a magician would scream, “A true magician never reveals a secret!” Yet, then take great delight in regaling their audiences with "the" inside knowledge of everything that David Coppertone has ever done?

Who but a magician spouts “originality and creativity above all,” but displays neither?

Who but a magician says that some “TV Magicians” stink on ice . . . but, call the magic shop (the day after the special) to see if they have the “XXX” trick anyway?

Who but a magician hates it when somebody “guesses” how their “magic” was done, but when witnessing another performer feels compelled to tell them that they like their “DF, R/S idea - - - wink – wink, nod-nod.”

Who but a magician would cry publicly that magic shops RENT instructional videos, then complain to their shop that a $7 rental fee is a rip-off , as Blockbuster gives you “Girls Gone Wild” for three days for three bucks?

Who but a magician would say that “magic is priceless,” yet howl like wolves when a miracle costs more than $14.23 at the shop?

Of course, it isn’t you, and certainly isn’t not me. But, maybe we know somebody . . .
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
What can I say? It's all too true.
On the bright side, without the bad magicians out there the good ones wouldn't look as good as they do.
I just wish there weren't so many bad ones though.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
An article like this will make us all look within
Sometimes a good thing!!
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Excellent points, Randy!!

Who but a magician spends more time making passes with the cards, than he does with the ladies!!
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
"Who but a magician would cry publicly that magic shops RENT instructional videos, then complain to their shop that $7 a rental fee is a rip-off , as Blockbuster gives you “Girls Gone Wild” for three days for three bucks?"

Too true!! Smile
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Who but a magician would even write something like that?

Smile

TCR
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Andy Rooney, and no doubt much better.

Though some of the most outlandish things were cited, I've been witness to them all.

There are reasonable questions to ask- we all know that most people prefer croutons on their salad, as opposed to bits of sponge ball. Most of us know that a "silk" does not have to be soiled and wrinkled, and Zombie balls don't have to have twenty-seven dents.

There are far more subtle considerations in magic . . . when is shuffling good, when is it bad? When does borrowing an item add to an effect, when does it detract? When are flashy props a big advantage, when do they automatically diminish an effect?

The point of such postings is to evoke thought, and engage conversation. Sure, I'm happy to offer my opinions; that is what I'm equipped with.

It is far better to define the fine points of performimg magic in the precise venue and style of the individual. It does no harm to question "why" it is that certain conventions are followed. It is the path of self-analysis and field testing that can strengthen and sharpen anyone's magic. Sometimes, all of us can be lulled into ruts that are not discernible unless we step back a bit and absorb a fresh perspective.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
And who but a magician would rent an Instructional Video when they could rent “Girls Gone Wild”?

(…sorry I just had to!)
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
Quote:
On 2002-08-13 13:02, mumblepeas wrote:
And who but a magician would rent an Instructional Video when they could rent “Girls Gone Wild”?

I think you'll that find "Girls Gone Wild" IS an instructional video!

(...sorry folks, I guess I'm just in one of those end-of-Tuesday silly kinda moods.... Smile )

Huw
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
Most of us know that a "silk" does not have to be soiled and wrinkled, and Zombie balls don't have to have twenty-seven dents.

When did you see my show!
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
GIRLS GONE WILD at three bucks for three days..whoa..what a deal.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
John, you can own a pair for 9.95 . . . it may not be magic-related, but I suspect that they might be watched more regularly than some magic tapes?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Who But A Magician? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL