The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Makin Sparks --looking for review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Looking for a review on Makin Sparks, the electronic funkenring.
thanks for your input!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I think you need to ask yourself why you're interested in this versus a standard Funkenring. In other words, for what reason do "continuous" sparks appeal to you or for what reason do you want to produce sparks more than once without having to reset? Another question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you want to perform this close up, and if you do, how big is your hand (it had better be a decent size)?

I think that Danny Sylvester is brilliant, but this product doesn't meet my needs.

Larry D.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have Makin' Sparks and I like it. I use it in a particular type of school assembly show so I don't use all the time, but I have had it for several years without any problems.

Larry is right about the hand size. I use mine on stage and in my routine I came up with a way where I don't actually have to p*** it.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I agree with Larry and Mister Mystery - the unit is rather large and very difficult to conceal close-up (it is ditching it that is really the problem for me). It is, however, built like a tank and throws a wonderful shower of sparks. I have had mine for many years, and it still works perfectly - though I don't use it often (but I love to use it to play practical jokes on friends and family). You have to determine what you want to use it for, and if the size is going to be an issue for you. Hope this helps -
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My experience with the old windup Funkenrings is they barely put out much sparking, and they wear out and break easily... Makin' Sparks is a PRO VERSION. A little bigger than a battery. I like it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I agree with Pete Biro, the regular German Funkeinrings do not last very long at all. I went through several and easily went over the price asked by Sparks. The working are brass and strip very easily.

The idea is a gag, the laughs cover any problem with the gimmick size. Even if it is seen, it make little difference. Using a pocket dodge or topit can eaily solve any problems. Finally, the trick should move along, to the climax. Gag over, now for the climax.

Sparks version is well worth the price and sure fire. It works every time. The Funkenrings have broke at the wrong time for me on one to many occasions.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I must have gotten lucky with my Funkenring. I've been using the same one for 17 years (albeit, not real frequently) and it produces a very large shower of sparks. Over time when the spark shower gets smaller, I simply tighten the screw plug to increase the tension between the flint and the wheel or I just replace the flint. Maybe the Funkenrings that are currently available aren't made as well.

Larry D.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
A great use for Sparks is as a gag in a Sword Thru Neck routine. I introducing it as a sharpening device and proceed to sharpen all along the balde. It almost looks like skate sharpening machines.

The ability to have a continous shower of sparks is great for this gag.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Makin Sparks --looking for review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL