The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Moving from closeup to parlour » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Derren,

Wondered how, in your early days, you moved from the closeup situation to parlour and then stage?

The reason I ask is that I've been performing closeup professionally for a number of years but I'm getting more and more of a desire to perform TO an audience. I've drafted a 1 hour ACT which is in it's infancy, but how do you go about moving in that direction?

Regards

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
DerrenBrown
View Profile
V.I.P.
109 Posts

Profile of DerrenBrown
You're better off with a 45 minute act. An hour will be very hard to book, and is very long.
For me, I only ever had done close-up until making the TV show. The only 'parlour' I'd done was occasional mini-act at a convention. Once the TV got underway, I needed a cabaret/corporate after-dinner act, so I put one together, which became the first half of the previous tour. By that point I had a manager and the beginnings of a profile, so the ball was slowly rolling. However - I only had 5 gigs in the first year, whereas I'd had a couple a week for a year or so before that. Bizarrely, my fee had gone up tenfold overnight, but no-one knew who I was to pay it. But those who did were expected to cough up a larger sum. I had to borrow money the first year, and then it started taking care of itself.
It's definitely worth making the move. It's a shame to see how low-profile even a world-class close-up magician is working the tables at an event, compared to the after dinner entertainment on stage.

Get 45 minutes together with an arresting start and an unforgettable finish, and make sure you work it through with someone else who can give you honest feedback. Have it scripted and solid, of course.

Hope that's of some help,
db
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
That's a very helpful reply Derren and the answer to a question I was about to type up. You must be a mindreader...
One day I will write a book
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
That's a great help and also an eye opening as I had no idea you worked only closeup right up to the tv deal.

Quick question, what is your favourite environment, the closeup or stage, regardless of fee.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2004 entrée: Derren Brown » » Moving from closeup to parlour » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL