The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic styles and TAOM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
There has been a lot of discussion about David Blaine and how what he does isn't Street Magic per se. I'd agree with most of what a lot of magicians have written about David Blaine in that it isn't a conventional Street Show. However, I'm posting this to demonstrate how someone can shirk the conventional ideas and conceptions about any field and carve out their own niche.

Merlin a.k.a. Ken Reynolds, who resides in Dallas TX performs his style of Street Magic in his own individual and unique style, and while it is the closests perhaps to a "Blainesque" type of magic, he has his own unique persona that has afforded him a good living for many years now. He performs Walk-around Close-up Magic in the strictest sense, but as he performs it in an informal atmosphere, he's not paid by any establishment, he's free to come and go as he pleases. He makes as large or larger tips than anyone else I've known throughout my career -- consistently pulling 50s and 100s from his small audiences.

How does he do it? By warming their hearts, or more specifically the ladies hearts. He is a smooth talker and a wonderful cardman to boot. I've seen fellows call him to their tables, just so Merlin can smooth talk their ladies into a state of romantic bliss. "Poetry amd Magic" is his game and Merlin is his name.

Anyone interested in his unique style will get to see him in action at the Texas Association of Magicians Convention in Fort Worth this year over Labor Day weekend. He's got some pretty mean chops, but he definitely gives the phrase, "it's not what you do, but how you do it" depth and meaning like no one else I've ever met. He is a must see.

So if you're planning on attending the convention, make sure and catch him, oh and at least one other fellow there, you might have heard of him too -- Cellini, the acknowledged Master.

Man, this is gonna be one kick butt convention! I hope to see you there.
Elliotmagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Elliotmagic
Do what you do and be yourself, right? That's the Secret. Pick five or six tricks. And put them in some kind of order. Do them that way again and again. Throw in some personality and do it over and over again. My favorite Quote comes from Thomas Henry Huxley and really applies here.
"The great end in life is not knowledge but action."
You can't just sit around planning you "act"
You have to get out and do it. And you have to do it over and over and over.
I decided to take the routiens I already know, and do them over and over. As a result of using the same "script and set" I am making money. Do that enough and you'll surprise yourself. Especially when you begin creating and changing the "script and set" that you do for your act.
I think the key element to style is be yourself. Unless your a jerk. If you are you should consider a silent act or something.

Go out and do the stuff. character, style and all that stuff comes from getting out there and doing it.

I won't be at TAOM Eric, I'll be on a flight to Boston. I am gonna try and hang out with Sonny Holliday, My hero!
You should drag Jim to New Orleans.
peace
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic styles and TAOM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL