The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Doing an Outreach Festival tomorrow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I will be performing tomorrow for two hours doing my street magic stuff, and then I go inside and do a 20 minute Stage act to transition between a mellow (Chris Rice kinda singer) and lead into a High Intensity Rap Group. The want me to bring up the "voliume" so here is teh plan...

I will do two routines on stage. One is slower and starts to build as it goes. It is themed on Faith, and starts with me telling a story about a group in a dry place gathering and praying for rain. A little girl at the back of the group tugged at her father and said, Daddy, they don't believe, do they? The father didn't understand why she would say that, so he asked her, and she said; Well, all of them are praying for rain. But nobody brought an umbrella! Then I go into an umbrella production with several large umbrellas, a bunch of mid sized ones, and then about a dozen smaller ones. All the time I am producing the umbrellas, I will be talking about faith, and what it means, (quoting the bible) and asking the audience if they have faith.

This will be the first time that I have performed this routine, so please pray for me that I will Honor God with a well presented message.

Then I will do a bit about different kinds of bondage, and will have three spectators come on stage. First they put a chain around my neck and two of them hold the ends, while the other guy chains my hands with another chain, and covers my hands for a classic chain escape as the other two guys pull the ends of the chain. It goes "right thru" my neck. (Peter Loughran's Iron Garrote in use here) .

All in all please pray for a dramatic impact on lives as the festival is an outreach to the unchurched and they will have a "extreme sport" rock wall to be climbed, and all kinds of things, including a car show and pig roast, and being well publicized and outdoors on a day predicted to be ideal, it should draw quite a few folks who would never go to church.

Thanks

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
BroDavid, I really like the Umbrella routine. It sounds like a great way to kick off your stage act!

By the way, how do you get the opportunities to do these Outreach events? They sound neat!
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
BroDavid,

Sounds like this is a unique opportunity for you to share the Gospel. I'll pray it goes exceptionally well.

Keep us posted with an update.

John
The Gospel Magic Man
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Thanks for the support guys.

Andini, these opportunites come along becuase I have a number of Pastor friends who know that I won't just come to a church and perform, unless it is an evangelistic opportunity for outreach.

Some of my Pastor friends used to think that I was not using my gifts properly, since I would NOT come to every Church meeting they had and perform. But after a time of me continuing to hood firm on it, and them realizing that my heart is not to grow a church and equip the Saints. That is somebody else's job. My job is to grow the Kingdom. After much prayer, I know that I am planter. I am an evangelist. So I don't preach to the Choir, even thoguh I am told regularly that there are unsaved in the church too. And I agree with this unfortunate truth. But there are far more unsaved outside of the Church, than in it. So my job is outside of the Church.

In addition to having Pastors who know what I am about, who look to "plug me in" to any events they are involved in, over the last few years, I would do anything, even short notice, to help in that kind of an event. So now after some time of seeing me doing my "street act" or filling in for a last minute need, and getting some pretty good feedback, they are finding that I entertain, but that I also deliver a message illustrating God's truth. And now, at almost every event, I get booked for another one (or two.)

And as long as I keep giving God the Glory, I expect it probably will continue. And there isn't much that is more fun than doing magic and giving God the Glory.

Thanks Again.

God Bless!

BroDavid

Update: Sept 19 2004

Ok, finished the festival.

The walk around crowd was lighter than I had hoped, but it was a beautiful day, and I had a lot fun. Since there only a few folks at a time, I was able to do some fun close up stuff. And the look on a young child's face when I changed an ordinary penny into a flat one stamped with the Ten Commandments was a real treat! I did the stiff rope a few times, and lots of other stuff including Sankey's Magus Capsule. I don't think I did any trick more than 4 times (paper clipped by Sankey) and did a couple that I had never done before in public (Magus Capsule, and Devil's hank)

I had originally planned to do just two routines on stage. But I changed plans as I got ready for the stage act, and threw in my 3 ring routine, and Jumbo Twisted Sisters from stage too, just to give a little more body to the act.

I opened with the umbrella act (Have to get rid of all those umbrellas pretty early, or I cant do anything else.) The umbrella routine went OK. It was the first time I did it publicly, and I had the symptoms of a head cold and was a bit fatigued, so my mind wasnt very sharp, and I struggled a bit with the routine. But now that I have it on tape, I will definitely work on that. It was generally very well received in spite of the fact that I knew it should have been a bit better. But listening to the audience reaction on the videotape and my wife telling me what she was hearing in the audience, I felt it was OK.

But the Free from Bondage routine, with the Iron Garrote steel coming through my neck, and the chain holding my hands falling to the stage at the same moment was an excellent closing routine. I had three spectators involved, two holding the ends of the Garrote, and a third spectator putting the chain on hands. and then I got the whole audience involved to help with the countdown, which I nervously stopped a couple of times, for some comedy byplay with the two holding the ends of the chain.

There were around 150 in the audience, and I hope that there were some unbelievers there, because the can no longer say, nobody told me!

I was blessed, and my wife got everything on video, except for the final chain release ( we ran out of tape). But we will have more chances to video that one. It really makes the point that if you put your trust in Jesus Christ, You Can Be Free! from the bondage of Sin. And I will be doing it that way more often.

Thanks again for your prayers and support.

God Bless!

BroDavid
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
BroDavid,

Thanks for the great update. So glad the Lord answered and your program went well.

John
The Gospel Magic Man
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Missed your first post so I didn't pray for you :-( BUT I am glad it all worked out.

I am particularly glad to hear how you are so focused on your calling gospel magic for evangelism.

I have a different problem. As a full-time pastor I get a quite a few invitations to come "entertain" people in the other churches. I have to explain again and again that this is not my calling. I picked up magic as a hobby but when I perform I want to do it for the sake of evangelism and to promote the use of creative skills to share the gospel. (Though I would do magic to teach some lesson etc. for my own church).

I think one problem I find is that because I don't charge, some people want to take advantage of this. I know 'cos I would direct them a professional Christian entertainer who would do a professional job that meets their needs but many balk at paying the professional fee (which is actually more than worth the money).

As I am getting better at magic, next year I want to draw up firm guidelines as to what I will do and will not do - maybe focusing on doing such shows for the poor, small stuggling churches, on mission trips etc.

How do you draw up your guidelines?
Many Blessings!!

Paul
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Paul,

I was just talking to a Pastor friend today (whose name coincidently is also Paul) about this very issue... He has been trying to bring Churches together in our area to further the Kingdom. He called me because we are friends, (And I am also friends with many other Pastors in our area)

Anyway, he was asking me how and why it works for me. Why can I call these guys, and get anything I ask for? He asked me if it is because I take every offer to perform? (It is not, becuase I do not) And he asked what is my criteria. In my case it is simple. I look around, and talk to folks, and get a sense of whether or not God is at work there? I will join the party, if God is working there. If they have an activity that they are committed to, and have made an investment in reaching out to the lost, then I will give whatever I have to further that effort.

If they want to be entertained, then can hire an entertainer. If they want me to create an event for them, then they can find somebody else. Because if they aren't willing to commit time and resource, and can't get anyone else to buy in to it, why should I?

Now before I come off as sounding too hard hearted, I will say that I pray about all requests that I receive. So it really is not as arbritrary as it may sound.

But I think too many people are trying to do much that is not a call from God (for one reason or another), and I just don't have time to help with that sort of thing. I want to see how God is bringing people together for the effort, and how willing they are to commit resources (not just money, but if they have a ministry team of 3, and a congegation of 100 and can only get two people involved, something is wrong somewhere.)

And I am involved in Churches from Mega Churches (8000 members and more) to Store Fronts (20-30 members) so it isn't church size. I often find, and Barna reports confirm that the percentage of servants in a smaller Church is usually larger than in a Larger Church. So I actually prefer working with Humble Servants, and smaller Churches.

I have said many times (and I mean it) that I would rather be a cheerleader for God, than a warrior for my own interests. And magic is what I use as my megaphone.

The situations may not be the same for you Paul, as you are a Pastor and have allegience to your congregation. And I may have rambled a bit, as my friend and I did earlier.

Hope it helps a bit.

BroDavid
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Actually, your rambling was helpful. It's a helpful rule of thumb to pray and attenpt to discern how serious and committed a certain group or church is.
If they are then their motives will be pure and they will certainly be praying for God to bless. And our LORD does not disappoint such people.

Thanks

Paul
Many Blessings!!

Paul
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
BroDavid,well said.
I am glad that you had a great time and the Lord blessed your programme.
FM
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-18 15:42, BroDavid wrote:
[…] All the time I am producing the umbrellas, I will be talking about faith, and what it means, (quoting the bible) and asking the audience if they have faith.

This will be the first time that I have perfromed this routine, so please pray for me that I will Honor God with a well presented message.

Then I will do a bit about different kinds of bondage, and will have three spectartors come on stage, first they put a chain around my neck and two of the hold the ends, and the other guy chain my hands with another chain, and covers my hands for a classic chain escape as the other two guy pull the ends of the chain, and it goes "right thru" my neck. (Peter Loughran's Iron Garrote in use here) .

All in all please pray for a dramatic impact on lives as the festival is an outreach to the unchurched and they will have a "extreme sport" rock wall to be climbed, and all kinds of things, including a car show and pig roast, and being well publicized and outdoors on a day predicted to be ideal, it should draw quite a few folks who would never go to church.

[…]

I’m sure questions of this nature have been raised before, but what are you really expecting to accomplish with a performance like this?

Are you emulating the miracles of Christ – by producing something from nothing - or are you merely attempting to camouflage a religious message with what is commonly considered to be secular entertainment - sort of a religious “bait and switch” approach? And don’t you think the umbrella production is likely to be a huge distraction from your faith message?

I would think that the “bondage” bit would seem to suggest that your particular brand of faith gives you power over the natural forces that bind the non-believers; is there a danger that your audience may think that they, too, can have these powers if they will only submit to your faith (or to you)? Or are you saying that the wonderful works of God are really just magic tricks?

Honestly, I’ve never understood the idea behind “gospel magic”. Surely you would want to stay far away from suggesting that the miracles of Christ were mere TRICKS, yet you are [presumably] striving to create great wonder and mystery among your viewers. Either you have powers similar to God, or you – his immediate representative – are resorting to cheap tricks. Whichever it is, I can’t imagine it’s the way God would choose to be represented; it seems like an irresolvable dichotomy of purpose to me.

I guess I can understand if, on the other hand, you’re using the captivating lure of entertainment to also slip in your faith pitch, but that seems so much like a soup kitchen that requires the “guests” to sit through a sermon before they get fed. And that seems so… I don’t know… “cheesy”, in my opinion. If what you’re offering is so wonderful, why does it need to be all colored up and veneered, unless that’s necessary to make it more attractive? In which case, maybe the message really is that it’s not all that wonderful after all.

I can’t for the life of me imagine that God would approve of gospel magic as you describe it. When Christ said, “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs”, I think he really meant it. [Matt. 7:6 NIV]. Mind you, I can understand the personal rewards of performing magic for an audience – that’s why I do it. But I really am having trouble buying the rationalizations offered for mixing magical entertainment with a gospel message. I personally believe that most Gospel Magicians are using their “mission” – consciously or unconsciously - as an excuse for what they really want, which is simply to perform magic. At least within my own understanding of who God is and what he wants for us I am having a very hard time believing he would want to be a part of such a sideshow.

I do think it’s probably okay to perform magic OUT of context with a spiritual message, either prefaced or followed with a personal motivational speech about your magic career and how your faith and your personal relationship with God may have helped and guided you through life. But I really have serious qualms about using magical displays in context with a religious message in the hopes that it may lead others to God.

I would, of course, be interested in hearing reasonable arguments to the contrary.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Every Christmas a bunch of folk I know visit hospitals, malls and even some friendly businesses, and sing Christmas carols (even those *GASP* religious ones Smile ).

Do they just want to go out and sing? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Is it a "bait and switch" (people drawn to music, listen to words)? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

"You might not like his style too much, but if he could reach a soul you could never touch, you gotta say, 'peace...'" - Noel Paul Stookey
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-22 17:01, Doug Peters wrote:
Every Christmas a bunch of folk I know visit hospitals, malls and even some friendly businesses, and sing Christmas carols (even those *GASP* religious ones Smile ).

Do they just want to go out and sing? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Is it a "bait and switch" (people drawn to music, listen to words)? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

"You might not like his style too much, but if he could reach a soul you could never touch, you gotta say, 'peace...'" - Noel Paul Stookey

A very poor analogy, Doug; not even remotely on point. Christmas carols are exactly as they appear, and there are no performances of Christmas carols that AREN'T, um, Christmas related (yeah, no kidding). On their face Christmas carols are recognized as such.

On the other hand, the OVEWHELMING majority of magic shows that the average person sees have nothing to do with Christian outreach or a gospel message.

Try again.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Christmas carols are music. I bet the vast majority of those who go to malls have never been exposed to the vast majority of the great old carols.
Quote:

On 2004-09-22 19:20, Thomas Wayne wrote:
On the other hand, the OVERWHELMING majority of magic shows that the average person sees have nothing to do with Christian outreach or a gospel message.

And the OVERWHELMING majority of music that the average person hears has nothing to do with the Christian outreach message. BTW, the same people sing hymns in the same places throughout the year -- no need to get hung up on the "Christmas" element.

You'll have to do MUCH better than that before dismissing the analogy, Thomas. Smile Your turn.

regards, Doug
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
My father was a Christian minister and also taught me my first magic trick. I believe there is a place for magic within the gospel message, and am indeed posing these questions sincerely - questions that no one has really bothered to address, I might add.

With your magical performance are you presuming to emulate the miracles of God (or Christ)? I would sincerely hope not, but that's the impression I've gotten from some of the descriptions of your act(s). If so, I think you are way off in your assessment of God's will.

Or are you trying to slyly hide the spiritual message within a generally secular form of entertainment – the way I hide a pill in my dog’s food? Again, I think God must surely be offended that you would presume his message needs your special "window dressing".

In Junior High - most places now call it “middle school – we had a math teacher who understood the concept I’m trying to convey. If the class behaved and worked according to his plan he would take a few moments to entertain the group, at the end of the period, with skillful magic trick or an interesting phenomenon of science. Not everyday, but when he chose. Over a short period of time – without the rules ever spoken – we came to understand that diligent application to the [somewhat uninteresting] task at hand had rewards that WERE interesting.

And we LIKED this teacher. He had something interesting and joyful about him that we FELT as much as saw. The word we used in those days was “neat” (as in “cool”); Mr. Johns was a neat guy. We wanted to be like him, and whether we realized it or not, we learned math from that man. His classes consistently scored higher than the national average on every standardized math test. Personally, I chose math for my major in college, and I attribute my early interest to him.

So it is that I also believe magic can be used to stimulate young minds, but I really believe that “mixing the magic with the message” can be a terrible mistake. I’m here to discuss that.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

(PS: I have discussed these very issues with a number of secular performers over the years and many of them seem to have very similar questions; consider THAT before your dismiss me out of hand.)
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 02:16, Thomas Wayne wrote:
questions that no one has really bothered to address, I might add.
The hasty dismissal notwithstanding, I addressed them. Music is an excellent analogy to magic with respect to the questions you raise. Give it another look.

- both are art.
- both typically have no Christian message.
- both can be performed publicly.
- both needn't involve "bait and switch".
- both needn't be an excuse to perform.

Clifford the Red correctly makes the connection between Gospel Magic and Bizarrre Magic elsewhere. We could explore this one, if you prefer.

- both seek to add a message to the magic.
- both consider the message "more important" than the magic.
- the audience may be unaware of the message initially.

In this respect, Gospel Magic is like film or literature: it is common for film-makers and authors to grind axes at their audiences' expense. Many are anything but subtle about propounding their world-views. Why should Christians be the only ones restricted from delivering world-view in their entertainment?

(this only seeks to address the question of "what is legitimate gospel magic?" -- It does NOT address the question "do gospel magicians often practice legitimate gospel magic?" -- let's not go there, yet Smile )

regards, Doug
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thomas,

I am a pastor (full-time) and I learn and perform magic for a number of reasons.

1. Have fun and enjoy myself (it's a hobby that helps me develop a neglected part of me - the creative side). I am more inclined to the logical rational side. I feel I need to learn new things, especially on the creative side to be a more balanced and fulfilled person.

2. To entertain, bless and and just have fun. I find "magic" helps me make friends, give people a smile etc. At this stage in my life, I don't charge a cent for what I do, so while magic is an expensive but fulfilling hobby, I have the satisfaction of giving a little joy to others. (Yeah, it actually does bring some actual joy - especially when I was in Cambodia. When I saw sad indifferent faces of many light up, laugh etc and the appreciation shown, yeah .. I consider it joy).

3. I use magic to illustrate bibilcal truths. As a gospel amgiciajn, I don't pretend to have any powers and I make this clear. It's entertaintment with a purpose. I connect with people as we laugh together and have fun. I do stuff like the water in the cup trick, play a guessing game as to where the water is, etc. Even with mentalism (rianbow matrix stuff etc., I laugh and just say things like, isn't that an amazing coincidence, say that it's just a trick that I knew what you would pick etc. BUT move on to explain that with God, it is no trick - He does know...

I would use the basic tricks and effects to illustrate a biblical truth - maybe about sin, Jesus coming etc.

THERE IS NO INTENTION OR EVEN THE SLIGHTEST ALLUSION that I am trying to pretend to reproduce Jesus miracles. There is no deception and no one has misunderstood me to my knowledge. Even when I make the loaves and fish multiply, I am illustrating the story of Jesus.

Gospel magicians present the gospel in a creative an fun way which people remember.

Even when I do card tricks (sleight of hand), I explain and ask something like, ... "If I a pastor can trick you, what do you think a professional gambler can do?" And I tell people not to gamble as there is no often there is no "luck" involved but merely skill.

Hope this helps!

God bless!

Paul
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 06:17, Doug Peters wrote:
The hasty dismissal notwithstanding, I addressed them. Music is an excellent analogy to magic with respect to the questions you raise. Give it another look.

- both are art.
- both typically have no Christian message.
- both can be performed publicly.
- both needn't involve "bait and switch".
- both needn't be an excuse to perform.

Clifford the Red correctly makes the connection between Gospel Magic and Bizarrre Magic elsewhere. We could explore this one, if you prefer.

I did consider touching on this connection, but also thought I'd save it for another time.

Quote:
- both seek to add a message to the magic.
- both consider the message "more important" than the magic.
- the audience may be unaware of the message initially.

In this respect, Gospel Magic is like film or literature: it is common for film-makers and authors to grind axes at their audiences' expense. Many are anything but subtle about propounding their world-views. Why should Christians be the only ones restricted from delivering world-view in their entertainment?
[...]

And therein lies the rub - or some of it, at least. I have seen many movies that present a strongly biased world-view; some are up front about that goal, while others are a bit sneakier. Ultimately, as with most things in life, it comes down to presentation. If I feel that the film's message is being "shoved down my throat", or if I feel that the subtext message is not integral to the theme and/or plot of the story, then I may likely feel "tricked" into suffering through an unwelcome attempt at indoctrination.

And my point is, do you really want your spiritual message to come across that way?

In my younger days, after having owned my own business for a short while, I was approached by a business acquaintance with an invitation that went something like this: "Geez, ya know I really think you've got a lot going for you and I'd like to invite you to a meeting in [a neighboring city] that I think could be a real opportunity for you. The people I’m meeting with are all really successful – very rich, in fact – and are always looking for bright young go-getters to involve in some of their projects. Blah, blah, blah…”

At this time we were struggling with our little enterprise and this really sounded like opportunity knocking. So, even though we couldn’t afford it, I got my only suit cleaned and pressed, loaded up my work truck and traveled the 4+ hours – and two ferry rides – to attend this meeting. My wife and I even scraped up enough spare change so that I could afford a motel room, since this was an evening meeting and I would probably be too tired afterwards for the long drive home.

At the meeting – held in a medium-size conference room in a fancy hotel – there were perhaps a hundred attendees, many of them looking as eager and hungry as I was. For the first hour or two of the meeting the various speakers went on and on about the great success and wealth that they had achieved.; about the freedom and independence that came with… whatever it was they were involved with. But they didn’t say what exactly that was. And a sneaking suspicion began to creep over me, sapping away the excitement and anticipation that I had formerly felt.

Finally, they got around to discussing what the actual deal was. If you haven’t guessed already… it’s was an AMWAY meeting! I had never felt so cheated in all my life. Out of courtesy to my “friend” I stayed until the end; then I managed to catch the last ferries and drive the long trip home.

Now, I don’t doubt for a minute that some people have made personal fortunes through the Amway system. And, had this guy been up-front about the subject matter and purpose of the meeting, I wouldn’t have felt so ripped off. But he wasn’t up-front and I did feel ripped off and to this day I have nothing but disdain for Amway and the recruitment method it employs.

My question is, do you really want to risk instilling that sort of emotion in your audience with your gospel magic? Even if it’s only in the hearts of one or two members? This may very well be the ONLY opportunity for them to receive what is undeniably a very important message; are you really willing to risk that possibility because “that’s how Hollywood does it”?

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

(PS: I don’t necessarily dispute the analogous nature of music and magic, but I still think the Christmas carol analogy itself was pretty weak.)

Quote:
[...]THERE IS NO INTENTION OR EVEN THE SLIGHTEST ALLUSION that I am trying to pretend to reproduce Jesus miracles. There is no deception and no one has misunderstood me to my knowledge. Even when I make the loaves and fish multiply, I am illustrating the story of Jesus.
[...]

Paul,

I liked everything you said and you really had me in your corner until I read this bit quoted above. At that point I actually had an out-loud OMG reaction! Do you REALLY perform a multiplication of loaves and fish? How can you possibly rationalize that?

As a magician I personally try to make everything I perform for an audience as deceptive and convincing as possible. I do believe that entertainment is the number-one priority, but I also believe that the magic MUST be strong.

If, as a magician, you feel the same way then you must be trying to produce these loaves and fishes in a way that fools and mystifies your audience. So they see you perform the exact same miracle as they have read about Christ performing. That can't possibly be good.

On the other hand, maybe your magic "sucks" and there's nothing deceptive or mystifying about the effect - in which case you're unlikely to impress the audience anyway. Somehow, I can't imagine God wants bad acts for ambassadors.

Of course, I know which scenario I think is worse, but either way it sounds like your message is that the miracle of the loaves and fishes was really just a cheap magic trick. I find THAT thought pretty disturbing.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 08:12, Thomas Wayne wrote:
If I feel that the film's message is being "shoved down my throat", or if I feel that the subtext message is not integral to the theme and/or plot of the story, then I may likely feel "tricked" into suffering through an unwelcome attempt at indoctrination.
I am with you 100% on this. This is the reason that when I start with magic, I never introduce the gospel. But when I start with gospel, I sometimes use magic as an illustration.
Quote:
My question is, do you really want to risk instilling that sort of emotion [associated with being tricked into attending an Amway meeting, for example] in your audience with your gospel magic? Even if it’s only in the hearts of one or two members? This may very well be the ONLY opportunity for them to receive what is undeniably a very important message; are you really willing to risk that possibility because “that’s how Hollywood does it”?
This is an excellent [set of] question[s]. One[s] that every "gospel magician" should ask themselves.
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thomas,

You wrote ...

I liked everything you said and you really had me in your corner until I read this bit quoted above. At that point I actually had an out-loud OMG reaction! Do you REALLY perform a multiplication of loaves and fish? How can you possibly rationalize that?

---------

Let me clarify ... of course it is not real loaves and fishes. Just small cut out stuff to illustrate the bibilcal story. I don't see what's so wrong about that.

You also wrote ...

On the other hand, maybe your magic "sucks" and there's nothing deceptive or mystifying about the effect - in which case you're unlikely to impress the audience anyway. Somehow, I can't imagine God wants bad acts for ambassadors.

Of course, I know which scenario I think is worse, but either way it sounds like your message is that the miracle of the loaves and fishes was really just a cheap magic trick. I find THAT thought pretty disturbing

-----------

I am actually rather disturbed that you would use such language. Isn't it rather stong to say things like "my magic sucks" and " .. really a cheap magic trick"?
And the most disturbing for me is to say that "I can't imagine God wants bad acts for ambassadors".

You sound like you have a personal grudge against me and anyone else who doesn't think exaclty the way you do. I thought you wanted tyo discuss etc. but it seems more like you just want to pick an argument.

Please remember that uou also said in an earlier post:

My father was a Christian minister and also taught me my first magic trick. I believe there is a place for magic within the gospel message, and am indeed posing these questions sincerely - questions that no one has really bothered to address, I might add.

------------

If this is how you react to my sincere contribution, I would say this it makes it very hard for me to discuss any further. You may not agree but you see to have a big chip on your shoulder.
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-26 10:36, paulmagic wrote:
Thomas,

You wrote ...

[...]
You also wrote ...

[...]
I am actually rather disturbed that you would use such language. Isn't it rather stong to say things like "my magic sucks" and " .. really a cheap magic trick"?
And the most disturbing for me is to say that "I can't imagine God wants bad acts for ambassadors".

You sound like you have a personal grudge against me and anyone else who doesn't think exaclty the way you do. I thought you wanted tyo discuss etc. but it seems more like you just want to pick an argument.

[...]
If this is how you react to my sincere contribution, I would say this it makes it very hard for me to discuss any further. You may not agree but you see to have a big chip on your shoulder.

Paul,

I must apologize for my lack of clarity. I can see how what I wrote might be taken personally, and if it were in my power to go back and edit it (it’s not) I would.

I did not mean to suggest that YOUR magic specifically is bad. Also, using the word “sucks” was an expediency to describe unintentionally non-deceptive magic, not meant to be offensive; in all fairness, the word does seem to have morphed into a generic synonym for “poor quality”.

What I meant to convey was my general belief that magic is either “good” or “bad”, meaning well performed or poorly performed. Those qualities are, of course, subjective but in this case I was referring to the deceptiveness – or lack thereof – of your loaves and fishes illusion. My premise is that either your magic is deceptive or not, and if you are truly “emulating” a miracle of Christ in your performance, then either scenario is bad – in my opinion.

Despite my inability to clearly convey my thoughts, I was NOT disparaging YOUR specific skills or talents, so I am very sorry if I gave that impression. The further clarification that you don’t use real loaves and fishes may mitigate my remaining opinions in the matter… I’ll have to think about that one.

In any event, please accept my sincere apology for my failure to clearly convey my meaning.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Doing an Outreach Festival tomorrow (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL