The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music and Speaking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok for those of you who use Music in your Acts. when do you Decide to Use it. and How many here Speak while it is playing. Don,
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A tip...rather than having to turn down the music during speaking over or Voice Over...set the Music audio level to what it will be when UNDER the Voice...music is almost ALWAYS much too loud for the amount of people or size of area being entertained anyway. Turning down the music when a voice comes on is pretty amatuer stuff easily avoided.
Get a nice balance.

If you have your voice over prerecorded...same deal...set the audio level to the voice so that when the voice comes on it doesn't blast and plaster the audience to the back wall.

Please keep in mind you are not a Rock Band...keep it down...pleasant and entertaining.

Do audio tests prior to taking the stage.

We return you now to the Donster.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We speak several times while music is playing. Do the hard work when you are at home recording the music. Make a 3 or 6 decibel cut when the music is during the part where you speak, afterwards bring the level back up to the norm.

Xmosis is giving good advice when he says it is very amateruish to take levels up and down, when it it can be done ahead of time.

Another thing if you are providing you own sound system. Invest in a compressor and learn how to use it. Put your mics thru the compressor. This will bring up your low speaking levels And bring down you loud speaking levels. You should be able to whisper and still be heard, yet not overbearing when you speak loudly. That is put in laymens terms. Smile

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Next time you watch a movie notice where the music and background noise fade or cut. It's all theater.
You can't do everything, so get a consultant or sound tech to help with sound. Especially, as your venue grows.
POOF!
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
Music is a very important element to a complete, professional production.

I recommend that you avoid talking over the music
whenever possible. My show runs over an hour and there
is only one point where I talk over the music.
In that case, the music is kept very low and is
designed to complement the speaking instead of
compete with it.

And just to echo some of the advice above, the music
does not need to be extrememly loud even when you
are not speaking. It should be at a comfortable level for all.

-JH
Did you see that?
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Doesn't the Virtual Soundman automatically duck the music then you talk?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm not sure if it does
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Look for VIP Vocal input Priority on mixers.

The Fender passport has it and is adjustable.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Yes, Salazar-
The VSM does have a music-ducking feature,
I put it in after I used my Fender PD 250- I found it to be so obnoxious/complicated that I had to design one myself.

Kevin- your right about recording the music levels to accommodate the voice- I do it for stories with magic. Which is very difficult, I sometime drive my composer nuts with story beds.

However- there are times when you are conducting rules for audience members, instructing volunteers, or for those general times during the show you have a semi low bed of music behind- it is altogether professional to use an automatic ducking feature- and not unprofessional.

As long as the ducking is done smoothly, and not so harsh or too quick like the Fender Passport does it.

BTW- I just bought an Anchor Explorer- and found that it too has a music-ducking feature built in the volume knob- and it is a simple- soft duck- I like it- I use if for my lectures now!

Cheers,
Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music and Speaking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL