The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
I was wondering what kind of cups that you magicians use on the street. I have a set of Rings N Things cups and they seem that they could be a little light for the street. I was looking at the Gazzo set at DennyMagic and they wanted $350 for it. Is there a good set that could stand up to the street under $200 or so? Thanks in advance. Jim
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I'm using the Pete Biro Platform cups. These cups are very similar to the paul fox cups of the same size.

These cups hold a HUGE load and have stood up well on the street. I can't recomend these cups highly enough if you want to do large loads.

These cups are available from Steven's magic for about $200.

Best,

Dan-

Quote:
On 2002-08-19 09:19, kid iowa wrote:
I was wondering what kind of cups that you magicians use on the street. I have a set of Rings N Things cups and they seem that they could be a little light for the street. I was looking at the Gazzo set at DennyMagic and they wanted $350 for it. Is there a good set that could stand up to the street under $200 or so? Thanks in advance. Jim

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The Phoenix Reject cups (usually availabe onE-bay) are a good cheap learners set for street work. They are heavy copper (albeit flawed) and you can generally get a set for under a hundred bucks. Biro's, Gazzo's and Cellini's cups are all wonderful but I would feel bad when they got banged up and dented from street work. I used a set of reject cups up until this year when I scored a nice set of Magic Inc. cups for about fifty bucks. I can wail away on these all I want and feel no guilt whatsoever.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-08-19 17:45, Payne wrote:
I used a set of reject cups up until this year when I scored a nice set of Magic Inc. cups for about fifty bucks.

How do the Magic Inc. cups compare to the Phoenix?

I was never a fan of the Phoenix, the rolled lip on my set was not close to being closed.

They work okay (I use them in my doorway show), but I think they look very poorly made.

Do you know if the Magic Inc./Charlie Miller cups are still available?

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Dan,
I have a set of the Magic Inc./Charlie Miller cups and I love the size, weight, feel of them. When I bought mine (about 8-10 years ago) I was told they only had five sets left.

The fit is a bit off, they don't next as cleanly as others so they wobble a bit. And the gap between the cups is a bit small. They work for single "ball under cup" routines, but don't work as well for multiple balls inside a nested stack. The shape makes them good for a relatively large final load.

They aren't as "pretty" as modern cups, and because of that for my purposes in the "Ren Faire" environment they work great.

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The Magic Inc. Cups are exactly like the Phoenix Reject cups. Except they are a little taller, stack better, have more room between them when stacked, are heavier and have a bottom bead that is completely sealed. Other than that they are exactly like the Phoenix Rejects.
They are no longer made but they are sometimes availabe on E-bay which is where I got mine.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I think Payne finds too many good deals on ebay. Great score on the cups. Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
I haven't seen the Pete Biro cups, but I just got a set of the Johnson cups from Denny & Lee for $195, and I'm very satisfied. Each cup is a hair shy of a half pound, and they're pretty as can be.

I had previously been practicing with a set of cheap CHEAP cups, and my wife came walking through, noticed the Johnson cups, and immediately observed how much more impressive they were.

I hope that's of some help...

Tim :->
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
i'm leaning toward the pete biro cups but have a couple of questions. are they fairly heavy? i want something with a little heft to them, and second, are they very durable? i don't want them too dinged up and scratched after a couple of years. thanks.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-08-23 10:38, kid iowa wrote:
i'm leaning toward the pete biro cups but have a couple of questions. are they fairly heavy? i want something with a little heft to them, and second, are they very durable? i don't want them too dinged up and scratched after a couple of years. thanks.

They are not heavy but they are very durable.

As far as not getting scratched and dinged after a couple of years, if you used a tank in a street show after a couple of years it would be a mess. It is not a realistic goal.

Best,

Dan-

Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I happen to use the supposedly out-of-circulation Working Professional's Cups (manufactured by a metal-worker named Kevin Care). The are practically a Paul Fox cup, but with a single bead. Jim Sisti was at one time a promoter of these on his site, and I would presume that he would know better than anyone else if they will ever see the market again.

Mine are brass, but they were also spun in copper. As far as wear and tear goes, I have deliberately let mine tarnish. They look really great that way, and it imputes an unquantifiable vintage quality upon them.

Ok Ok. I'm too lazy to polish my cups. They do really look great, and I'd be happy to email you one of my promotional pictures with me holding one. I wouldn't trade my cups for anything.

By the way, the Gazzo cups look great, but I'd be afraid of dislocating my arm. If I have to do a karate grunt to lift a cup, then I'll buy Morrissey's.

--Ron Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want an excellent buy on a set of street cups, check out Andy Comic's cups. Just do a search on his name, and you will find a link to his cups.

You can see them on the web site that shows the largest collection of cups adn balls in the world. All of you know which one that is, don't you?

The Millenium Cups will take a softball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Softball. Hmmm. Too big for me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Now if Bill put's his blessing on a set of cups take notice gang. I use my Gary Animal cups faithfully and do not worry if they get dinged or scratched. I have a nice pad on my table so Im noot worried about damaging the cups.
If I am worried about damage I will use my Home depot 5 gallon buckets with the beachball load. I have a rally BIG POUCH and Hat ( just kidding on that one.) I do Need to shorten my table an inch, Ive discovered, as Im too short to make every thing look great. If your arms get tired with GA cups do some weight lifting they are worth the excercise.
Mike
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Bill,

What do you like about Andy's cups?

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2002-08-20 22:48, Jeff Dial wrote:
I think Payne finds too many good deals on ebay. Great score on the cups. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Mandrake, that was hilarious! I've never seen that before. Sadly, I'm pretty sure my wife sees me through that lens. Smile

I think that one guy was an actor though, I don't remember seeing him at Ebay Sniper School...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It all depends on what you want in a cup. I think one of the key considerations is availability. The Gazzo cups, for example, are really great cups. They are manageable and they are sturdy.

However, right now you have to wait until someone decides to get rid of a set that he has before you can get them.

Soon, Gary will be making them again, and we will be happier for it.

Auke Van Dokkum's cups are terriffic. I'll put them up against anyone's. But they are expensive.

The Andy Comic cups are inexpensive, they have a decent weight -- not quite as hefty as Michael Lee's -- and he sends them out very quickly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL