The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tips for ninja rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

click pass
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of click pass
Anyone have any tips for someone trying to learn the one-hand block link with the ninja rings? I notice that Shoot doesn't give much info about technique on this particular portion of the routine.

Thnx
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi click:

I broke down the motions real slowly, when I was first learning the one-handed block link. Rather than just banging away, I figured out that the "key area" had to at the very bottom of the ring at the moment the "snap" of the hand occurs.

That's what made a big difference for me. Honestly, I'd say I hit it about 60 percent on the first try, and about 95 percent within the first three tries. When I first started the routine and tried banging away until I got the link, it would sometimes take me 8 to 10 tries to get it.

I have the misses built into the routine, so if I get it on the first time - great! But if not, it's no big deal.

I hope this helps you - it is a very challenging move.

Ron
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 23:07, Ron Reid wrote:
I have the misses built into the routine, so if I get it on the first time - great! But if not, it's no big deal.

Heh heh. Me too. There are other threads on this exact topic.

hold lightly
cock wrist
hit hard
I sort of do a scoop which I would not recommend for the 2-hand link but it's done so fast that it's not noticible.

I'm left handed so I do it in my left hand but for some reason if the remaining ring is pointing at 10:00-4:00 instead of 2:00-8:00 it seems to work more often. Perhaps it is opposite for the right-hander? Or is it all just in my head.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I almost do a scoop, it's more of a snap. The key pulls up sharply about a quarter inch when I pull my wrist back then I just slip the key over the rings. Shoot says that you are aiming for the middle, I just aim for all of them.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Click to visit:
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'll try that, Dan. How often do you get the spin link? Is it almost every time? Is it every single time?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I actually got rid of the table elements of the routine so that I could do the whole thing standing, so I don't do the table link much.

I got it to almost every time. I even saw Shoot miss the spin link in a lecture - no one can hit it 100%, no one is perfect.
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-19 12:17, Dan Watkins wrote:
I actually got rid of the table elements of the routine so that I could do the whole thing standing, so I don't do the table link much.

Me too! Great routine.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I don't feel so bad then. I have put quite a few hours into that spin link and only have about 80% of the time. I guess I can get somewhat better but it seemed that it would just be impossible to get it every time. I don't mind missing the single handed blocked link, it's not so big a deal, none of the rings go skittering across the table. Besides, I get that single handed blocked link almost every time.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Skip it.

But don't forget to check out other routine for other ideas to add to what you're doing.

Capehart
Cellini
McBride

Frank
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'm considering skipping the spin link, but the spin link has gotten the biggest spectator response each time! I've only missed a couple of times in front of a spectator and that didn't phase them a bit. When I GET it though - the reactions are classic!

Where do I find these other routines?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Missing on purpose is a staple among circus acrobats... on the third try the applause is always greater than if they did it right the first time.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Really? then you should see my table faro work!!! Smile
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Ron Reid’s advice is the best, build the miss into your routine.

You will miss, often.
Bob
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Three shows straight. I'm on a frigin' roll.
We'll see what happens tomorrow.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 12:17, Dan Watkins wrote:

I got it to almost every time. I even saw Shoot miss the spin link in a lecture - no one can hit it 100%, no one is perfect.

I remember watching Shoot perform at the Castle about a year ago when he missed the link about three times in a row--he got it on the fourth time. You could almost feel the tension in the Parlour room building up each time he missed.

However, I also remember Shoot and a guy who worked at Hollywood Magic Shop trying to see how many times they could consistently hit the link. I think that they both got up to 20 or 30 in a row one particular day.
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
There is a God. Nice to know that the video is not indicative of reality.

Back to the one-hand block; my best chances are when the rings are parallel to my wrist and the wrist is cocked.

Correction - perpendicular to the wrist.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have no issue with the one hand block. With the Ninja rings I get it most of the time. I never try it unless the hanging rings are perpendicular to the fist, at right angles to the key. The move is snappy and short.

I'm glad to hear about the spin link. The most times that I've hit it in a row has 16.

I'm dropping the move - way too inconsistent.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-10-30 00:35, Frank Starsini wrote:
Three shows straight. I'm on a frigin' roll.
We'll see what happens tomorrow.

3 for 4. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Tips for ninja rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL