The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Love close-up but dislike cards. Need your opinion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I like Airtight as a card effect ... Smile I don't care for cards too much, either, as far as the run of the mill card tricks go, at least. After a while, all the "pick a card" tricks look the same. I like the ones where something unexpected happens; the cards ending up inside a balloon, for example, or the Sherlock/Red Card of Mystery type of thing.

Or Pyro Perception.

I do know some card tricks and I am working on my card sleights, as they need improvement. But I greatly prefer coins and IT. And more "unusual" stuff, like some of Zach Allen's stuff.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I don't think I saw it mentioned, but a great resource is Lewis Ganson's two volumes "The Art of Close Up Magic." 401 and 286 pages of close up magic without a card trick. There is plenty there to reassure yourself that great magic can be done without cards.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
K I LOVE cards but I also love close up in general. I am mainly a coin guy but I do everything so I work lol. If you don't like cards...don't do them! SPend your time learning something you're interested in. Mentalism is a GREAT field if you seriously study it and treat it with respect. Coins are fantastic as well if you choose the right audience participation effects.

If they ask to see a card trick, do something with your buisness cards! The pothole trick immediately comes to mind. This way you've done an impossible feat with cardboard and have given away a valuable souveneir...your business card.

If you are going to learn card tricks learn ones that are visual and easy with Huge Impact, such as color changing deck, McDonald's Aces, Card on the Ceiling, Invisible Deck, Red Hot Momma/Chicago opener, Card-toon, etc. There are tons of card tricks out there that are very easy and have high impact for guys who don't do cards!
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
What ever magic you perform should be an extension of you. A simple statement and very difficult to accomplish.

Sometimes you just have to pick something up and start to run through it. The hardest part that few DO is start something. Make a choice of something in the video or book your watching and try it out.

I feel that creating a relationship with a trick starts with the practice. I leave the new potential piece, or several, out and when I walk by I'll see it, pick it up and go through it and I trance out and then I notice that 3 hours have gone by.

I try to work out the premise, patter and handling during this time.

Unless it is a stage piece or needs a table top, I then carry it around and do it for strangers. Paul Green once caught me in the Metro doing the three ball trick. If someone looks interested I ask them," do you like magic"? If they affirm that then I'll practice on them. It's usually the quick and dirty version because that's all we have time for.

Few people ever see a real magician perform. We think there are a lot of us around. If after you do any part of the above and don't like it whether it's a card trick or not you won't be doing it anyway. I LOVE it all. bob.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Bob Sheets said, "I LOVE it all."

That sums it up. The choice of material is a personal decision. Eventually, your repertoire will be a reflection of who you are as a performer AND as a person. If there are any conflicts, you will find yourself gravitating towards the things you like to perform AND culling out the items that you do not prefer. This is not a bad thing.

Love what you do and love (respect) your audience--You will be rewarded with positive things.

Regards,

Paul Green
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Honestly, I don't like card work either.

I do know a few effects to satisfy the card-liking audience, but I prefer coins and other "devices."

One of my most successful shows didn't use one card trick. You don't need cards to be a success.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
Don't think of it as a deck of cards , think of it more like performing magic with 52 diferant items.

Gareth.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I like cards but seems to be bored already.

So, I learned some Rope and ring and rope routines.

I added some mentalism effects too not involving cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Love close-up but dislike cards. Need your opinion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL