The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising show -Problem!- (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Greetings Members-

Recentley, I have been involved with numerous fundraising shows for different organizations, etc.

Some have been hugely successful with good committees pushing ticket sales & advertising with our shows running numerous nights etc to large crowds. The majority of funds go to fundraisers, We do ok out of these Magic & Hypnosis shows.

Last week I struck a problem with a small sports club who we supplied with 4000 flyers etc to be distrubuted plus the use of a Uni theatre that seats 200.

They kept talkng about all the leaflets distrubuted by them & interest shown in the shows. We invited them to previous shows of 400-600 people all sold out & hugely entertaining & profitable for the clubs, etc.

This outfit seemed to have to be pushed to actually do anything. Heck we even gave up work hours to promote the show etc. On the night only 40 people showed up. I think the club thought by giving leaflets that is all they have to do -we really pushed them to get pre sales but to no avail.

Yes they didn't make a lot of money. Even on show night we were locked out until 40 mins before showtime. They had no idea of set up times even though we explained this. We arrived at 6:00 pm for a 7:30 start. Lazy comes to mind!!

We did not have a contract in place for this show. We are generous to many of the fundraisers as we always get other shows as well. I guess I'm annoyed that all the time & effort we put in goes unrewarded. The crowd on the night were fantastic we really perormed for them & they left happy.

Have any members struck similar problems?What do you do? We could have cancelled the show but that's not fair to the good people who show up!

Love to hear of any similar stories/advice please.

(sorry for going on a bit. I'm still annoyed.)
magicmanrob
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of magicmanrob
Yes we have experienced the same sort of problem just about a month ago. We put so much effort to help promote a series of three shows at a local shcool, we to printed over 4000 flyers and spent countles hhours getting out to local businesses. The school system has over 4000 students in 4 elementary schools, upper elementary, middle and high school combined. We seperated the flyers for them into room size for them. The town has over 40000 people in the community and the theater seated 500. On the days of the shows we had 65 at one show, 98 at the eveninng show and 65 for the other days show. Of those there were only 9 staff members from their entire school district. I too believe they just didn't put forth any effort. Was a shame as the potential was huge. The shows were awesome and the audiance that was present were treated to a first class show. I like you a month later am indeed annoyed !
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
The size of the town may have been the problem. Some believe that small towns yield the best results. There isn't anything else going on and the whole town turns out to the event.

Did you do your own news release to the local media. Get air time on local popular radio stations. Let the local TV station know about your show coming to town to help ABC group raise funds for this worthy cause. You can't always leave the whole thing up to the sponsoring group. They don't know what they are doing and sometimes just need a lot of hand holding.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
That is the basic problem with most fund raising magic style programs sold today... sad to say, the sponsor/client really doesn't want to do the work often necessary.

As stated in the other thread on fund raisers, the program and promotions we use has ALWAYS left us in the crowd and does in NO-WAY require or even rely on outside promotions and after 30 years of doing this I can count on only 1 hand the number of time we have no COMPLETELY SOLD-OUT two full shows in a night with ZERO flyers or outside marketing and only 3 days from (of about 12 hours all tolled) start to finish.

SIMPLE is always better in my experience!

YES, I have used EVERY other style of promotions including boiler rooms, mail-out campaigns, gift shows and so one all to much less results than our simple, direct 3 day program.

KISS:
K eep
I t
S uper
S imple

Just another range of experience. Your mileage may vary.

I am at your service and In His Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
MagicalPirate-

Great advice thank you-We do normally a radio or newspaper item prior to shows etc-Unfortunatley people cant read!!!!
The amount of times we speak to people at shows who saw pics/article in newspaper-no one did!!!

Radio promos work better-we also did a series of shows at local University- A2 colour Posters/Promos were everywhere-Cafeterias/ every window/table/food line /toilets/each room etc -again a small turnout from the Uni crowd-most of the people come from outside of the Campus etc

Deano-

Thanks for sound wisdom-KISS principle

Should we as performers take acouple of days off our fulltime jobs to promote a show that normally the organisation should be pushing harder!!

Certain organisations work so well & shows sell put quickly-pity they all aren't like this

Thanks guys -enjoyed your comments!!
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I also rent those big neon boards that stand on grass and put em up through out the city
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Like said, for the shows we do, NONE of that is needed or even useful to the success of the result.

You CAN do all that, but it only takes away from the bottom line and takes money out of your pocket. I am in no-way telling you not to do all that extra work and spend all that extra money, but it has never been necessary for us. You are certainly welcome to do what ever works for you, but I have never found it necessary and often counter productive.

Again, this is just MY 30+ years of success experience in this type of results... your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dean
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Doing a fundraising show poses some unique risks and challenges as highlighted in this thread. If either party misrepresents what they can do, or misunderstands what the other party offers, then hard feelings and lost money results. Bad for the organization, bad for magicians. Lose - Lose for everyone.

If a magician offers to raise money for an organization, then he or she had better deliver. Remember, YOU are in show business, not the civic organization you are offering to help. If you can't draw enough to fill the house, then you shouldn't be selling fundraising shows. If you want to get into the fundraising business, then it is essential to know how to promote the show and sell tickets.

You ask, "Should we as performers take a couple of days off our fulltime jobs to promote a show that normally the organisation should be pushing harder!!"

Wrong question...you should be asking whether it is even wise for part-time performers to sell a fundraising show if they don't have the time or experience to adequately promote the show.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Hmmmmm... Imagine that, sage wisdom once again rears it's ugly head.

GREAT observations Jim!

How does it feel to be my hero?

I am, as always, at your service and In His Service,
Deano
<><

Here too is the link to the other thread on "Fund Raising Magic"

Just cuz these threads are intricately intertwined, here is the other thread on Fund Raising Magic Shows:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#15

Read the ENTIRE thread... I can't seam to figure out how to lead you to the TOP of the thread.

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Jim-

Great advice as usual!

We do not specifically sell/promote fundraising shows! These people approach us to help in any way etc after seeing our Private shows

Majority of our work is Private/corporate with no problems & large crowds.

Fundraising shows are normally not a problem- we promote & pay for advertising TV/radio & print flyers ourselves-with many shows running 4-8 nights all sold out so we do know what we are doing!
This particular show was just a lack of effort on there part.

We always hold a meeting with the people involved & explain the procedure in which we all will benefit-here in NZ most clubs are small sports organisations with usually 1 or 2 people doing all the work & the rest taking a back seat etc.

We just had a run of shows which broke the record in this country for consecutive nights Magic/Illusion/Hypnosis with sold out shows every night-overseas performers who do this might get 2 nights then come back a week or 2 later for another 1 show-so we are on the right track -I have worked in advertising /marketing for 22 yrs so we try as much as possible to help all these clubs etc only if asked we do not promote this!

The info we were getting back was mis informed by them to us as to sales etc-A lesson learned I guess

Thanks again Jim-much appreciated
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Here's Dean link to the other fundraising thread that will take you to the top of the thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&16

Martin Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Thanks Martin...

Low Tech, High Touch!

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
There is always going to be a risk a ticketed public show. People don't ALWAYS come.

It is a bit risk to let others do marketing for you. Espcially those who aren't pros. Perhaps in future you should give them a kit with their responsibilities.

Not having a contract isn't 'generous'. In fact, with a contract everyone knows where they stand and what they have to do. Without one, people make all sorts of mistakes and assumptions.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2004-10-06 19:48, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
There is always going to be a risk a ticketed public show. People don't ALWAYS come.

It is a bit risk to let others do
marketing for you. Espcially those who aren't pros. Perhaps in future you should give them a kit with their responsibilities.

Not having a contract isn't 'generous'. In fact, with a contract everyone knows where they stand and what they have to do. Without one, people make all sorts of mistakes and assumptions.

Nicholas-

Well said-Good advice-I guess the 1 show out of 20 we didn't ensure all the responsibility was the above mentioned show !
Performance agreements will now be used on all shows
for fundraising-
A lesson learned by us!!

Thanks for your input
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I organise fundraising trivia nights on occasion. I charge $40 per team which means the organisation makes $60+ (plus other money my guys get off them on the night)

Most of the time we make $800+ but every now and again We only make $200! I pay the MC no matter what happens which means sometimes I make money...and sometimes I lose. Its like investing stocks.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Cool brother Nicolas, you are the only other person I have heard of to offer some sort of Game Show using this style of promotion. It is one of our best programs too, it really rocks!

Quote:
Nicolas J. Johnson: "There is always going to be a risk a ticketed public show. People don't ALWAYS come."

Hmmmmm... this still puzzles me.

I'm not sure why all of you aren't having the same successes we are having consistently with our program. I know I keep saying this, but I can count on ONE hand (in over 30 years) the number of times we have not SOLD-OUT two full shows in a night and turned people away at the door due to popular response.

We have NEVER had a ‘dud’ night. We have ALWAYS made lots of free money for our sponcors.

Also, like I said, our programs take about 12 or so hours to pull together and that includes ALL the shows, marketing and the selling and closing of the entire deal spread out over only 3 real days.

PLEASE understand me correctly, I am in no-way bragging, (anyone who knows me, knows that’s true!) cuz it has little to do with ME, but I am curious as to how it has become so "risky" to help schools and organizations make free money with this style of promotion and show outcome?

Like I said... just curious.

Deano
<><

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Deano-

Good points-We always try & get a short Promo in large school assemblies for upcomong shows 2-3 days before showtime

Recently even though we are helping school teams on overseas trips etc-some school board members wont let us do a promo for the show-Go figure! Amazingly this happens more than once!

As well no school teachers or Principals etc even bother coming to certain show which is really sad for the great Kids who have worked hard etc

Other schools cant do enough for us prior to show & they are very sucessful with sponsor backing as well-few weeks back 1 high school had 600+ people at our night show-they raised $9000 in 2 hrs-we do 2 different shows a year for these people

The good & the bad strikes again!!-We are now very choosy on who we will do shows for!!

Thanks for your Great Input-Thank you!!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Uh... that helps me to understand a bit. Thanks!

In our program, IF they want the RESULT, they HAVE-TO apply the PROVEN SUCCESS SYSTEM we have cultivated and forged over the years, or it's a no-go.

I know that may sound a bit hard-edged, but our goal is for a WIN-WIN re-elationship and NOT a WIN-Lose or Lose-WIN deal.

EVERYBODY WINS or we simply don't play. It's that easy.

If they WANT the desired outcome, then they HAVE to allow the proven success process and “system” to get them there!

Easy, yes?

Thanks for a small glimpse into your proccess and clarification.

I remain at your service and In His Service,
Dean
<><

MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Hi Dean:

Whose system did you use as the basis for your success when you started out or has the whole system been one you devised solely on your own from scratch.

Martin Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Over the last 30 years, other than my own challenges and opportunities to grow, refine and perfect my-own sytems, I can honestly say some of my prominent influences have been Ormond McGill, Chris Carey, Ben Toussaunt, Stan Kramian, Huston, Willard The Wizard, Marshall Brodine, Soooooo many phone room and show promoters, Dennis Loomis, Harry Anderson, William Wizard, Vince Carmen, The Big John Strong, Gudren Strong and John Strong Jr. companies, almost every tented circus on the planet, as well as endless decades of DOING, studying, and YEARS of testing for REAL RESULTS of my own results and lessons in this market and success outcome.

There are more… so many more!

Thanks for the personal trip down memory lane. (Hehehehe!) Now I'm gunna' call and say hello and THANKS to some of thease folks again!

Deano
<><

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Fundraising show -Problem!- (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL