The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stand-up or Close-up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I've been booked to entertain at a rehearsal dinner. Total time of about 45 mins. There are only going to be about 20-25 people. Is this too few for table-hopping? I was thinking of 30 mins. table-hopping and 15 mins. stand-up with the wedding party. Does this sound about right?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Sounds fine to me.

Are you doing the wedding?

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
No but that brings up a funny story. The lady who booked me was in charge of the rehearsal dinner and the first thing she thought was to hire entertainment to keep everyone occupied because the two families can't stand each other. This ought to be interesting.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I guess you live too far north to know about the Hatfields and McCoys? I don't know why so many weddings are competitive events. But some are.

The wedding party's time is going to be tight. I would do no more than the 15 minutes without giving them a chance to move on to other things they may have to do.

Due to slow photographers, caterers, etc. there tend to be some very slow lines at weddings too. You might be some welcomed relief helping to kill some of those waits too. Ask!

Once I was even requested to do magic to slow the guys at the bar down a little. You never know.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
While there get their contact info so you can do the Divorce Party too Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Load the shotgun and get out the booze!! Smile
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
If I were faced with this situation, I'd perform only a stand-up show because in my opinion there wouldn't be enough people to justify walk-around and because my stand-up act is stronger than my walk-around repertoire.

Realize that if the families hate each other, they might be a tense audience. In line with magicman845's suggestion, make sure that your contract specifies that the audience must be drunk before you perform. Smile

Larry D.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Seriously.... be ready for anything, stand up, tables, walk around... You will have to size up the situation and then JAZZ magic it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pete,

We should have considered that the Esquire would offer divorce options in the contract. Wow! All the rest of can do is magic! Is that torn and restored freedom? Or some form of Living Will?

My wife Lucy is a doctor. I'm afraid to cross her because she has promised me that she has ways of forcing me to live much longer than I wish I had. I should have planned ahead. I may live a long time. Scary!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
qenny
View Profile
New user
Scotland - New Zealand - London
57 Posts

Profile of qenny
Given the animosity between the families, I would table-hop. Doing a stand-up act would be asking for trouble because you would have to manage both sides of the family at the same time. It might make it harder to concentrate on your art.

Of course, it might give you a great opportunity to make it an even better piece of performance - it depends on how confident you are in your ability to manage a potentially rowdy crowd.
Qenny
Sleightly Twisted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Stand-up or Close-up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL